VVT Solenoid keeps going bad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

buckwheat12n

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
I have a 2011 Ram, 5.7 L Hemi. I got the P0016 & P000B codes and replaced the VVT solenoid. After replacing the solenoid the truck ran fine for about 5 months but then same codes reappeared. So, I take the truck to a mechanic who scans the engine and pin points the problem down to the VVT Solenoid. He replaces the solenoid and again it seems to fix the issue. Now today, about 5 months since the last VVT was replaced. the codes appeared yet again. Has anyone had an issue like this or know what might cause this solenoid to keep failing?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have a 2011 Ram, 5.7 L Hemi. I got the P0016 & P000B codes and replaced the VVT solenoid. After replacing the solenoid the truck ran fine for about 5 months but then same codes reappeared. So, I take the truck to a mechanic who scans the engine and pin points the problem down to the VVT Solenoid. He replaces the solenoid and again it seems to fix the issue. Now today, about 5 months since the last VVT was replaced. the codes appeared yet again. Has anyone had an issue like this or know what might cause this solenoid to keep failing?
When you replaced the previous solenoids did you inspect the oil screens for debris?

Did you find any wear metals, oil sludge, anything at all or were they clean?

OP
OP
B

buckwheat12n

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
I don't recall seeing any sludge or metal on the first solenoid that I replaced although it did have portions of the screen that were damaged. The mechanic replaced the second one so I didn't get to see it first hand when it was removed. The oil typically gets changed between ~5000-7000 miles, typically before the "Change OIl" light comes on.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I don't recall seeing any sludge or metal on the first solenoid that I replaced although it did have portions of the screen that were damaged. The mechanic replaced the second one so I didn't get to see it first hand when it was removed. The oil typically gets changed between ~5000-7000 miles, typically before the "Change OIl" light comes on.
What oil have you been using during oil changes?

One of the things I see the most when the VCT Solenoid fails a couple of times is from low or dirty oil and possibly heavy wear metals from a seized or seizing lifter but if you do not have the HEMI tick or any lifter noise I wouldnt consider it part of my diagnostics at this time.

For the P0016, I see this quite often on high mileage HEMI's that need a timing set or when someone has installed a new camshaft and has the timing chain a tooth off of the timing marks. A visual inspection of the timing chain, chain guides and tensioner would tell you if this is causing the P0016. If you had access to a scan tool or HP Tuners where you could create a log you could see the cam/crank difference in degrees and see if it ever exceeds the acceptable range.

Have you recently performed any engine work to this motor? Cam and lifters maybe?

OP
OP
B

buckwheat12n

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
I've been using 5w20 (conventional oil). Everything's setup stock. No extra engine work. The engine sounds good, no ticking and no sound from timing chain that I notice.

It seems odd to me that after replacing the solenoid it runs fine for month's on end. If the timing was off I would've thought maybe the code would show up sooner?

Last edited:

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I've been using 5w20 (conventional oil). Everything's setup stock. No extra engine work. The engine sounds good, no ticking and no sound from timing chain that I notice.

It seems odd to me that after replacing the solenoid it runs fine for month's on end. If the timing was off I would've thought maybe the code would show up sooner?
Okay, cool. Even without any engine noise I would suspect a weak timing chain/tensioner or a bad cam phaser. I wouldn't do anything without getting a scan tool connected and someone who knows how to use it to determine the proper course of action.

I work on these trucks every day so nothing surprises me anymore.

Last edited:

Kylizzleeeee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you ever get this issue fixed? I’m having the same problem now and I can’t seem to pinpoint the problem.

VVTRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you ever get this issue fixed? I’m having the same problem now and I can’t seem to pinpoint the problem.
The single most important thing to consider in these is oil. [I'll get to that] But my first question would be how often do you change your oil?? Does it "Loosely" coincide with your "VVT issues"??

I have researched a simliar issue for over a year and here is what I found:

1) Based on your description I would say my number ONE guess is your mechanic might not be using MOPAR OEM VVT solenoid?? (OCV solenoid) The Cheap knockoffs are junk. (could be why it seems like every 5 months it croaks)

2) My second guess would be debris (gunk or metal shavings) in the oil channels builds up - clogs the oil filter and is forced past the oil filter's bypass valve. Has it ever run super low on oil or gone way too long without an oil change? Did you have the cam and/or lifter replaced after a "HEMI tick or bad lifter? If so, you might want to consider a "Bilstein Engine flush". Ask a local Pep Boys if they have this machine - or maybe (Uggghhh... gonna say it... Jiffy Lube) that is safer than running engine cleaners such as Seafoam, Techron, etc. which can cause problems with engine seals and gaskets. THEN change your VVT Solenoid before driving more than 50 miles or so.

Not using the right oil or oil filter can wreak havoc as well - I use Motorcraft FL820-S Filter only - NOT the MOPAR one. 0W-20 or 5W-20 depending on season (0W-20 for winter in New England) I change my oil every 3,000 miles. (I know - you can go a bazillion miles on synthetic oil between changes, blah, blah, blah - but that doesn't help remove oxidation, carbon, metal bits, etc). Let them laugh at me but I'm not taking the risk with 140,000 miles [2012 RAM 1500 5.7 HEMI] - especially with all the VVT and MDS functions that rely on proper oil pressure and clean oil galleries.

The right oil filter [MOPAR or even better, the Motorcraft FL820-S oil filter I mentioned] plus clean oil and frequent oil changes is far more important than most people think. A good oil filter is imperitive for these engines. Every time your engine is shut off, the oil filter's ant-drainback valve keeps oil from draining out of the filter. This allows the engine to receive oil immediately upon start up. A faulty anti-drain back valve lets oil drain back into the engine. The bypass valve in an oil filter is used when the filter is clogged due to a long period of time between replacements or when the vehicle is running at a low temperature (when the oil is cold and dense). The bypass valve is opened as a result of the pressure increase in order to increase the throughput of oil flow in the engine. The use of a bypass valve stems from the thought that dirty oil is better than no oil at all. You VVT system relies on oil flow and clean oil. VVT sytems are far more sensitive to dirty oil than even your cam and lifters are - although poorly lubricated cam and lifters can result in more catastriphic consequences.

3) Wiring issue that is intermittent. This can cause people to shoot the part$ cannon at it. Here is what I've seen people replace instead of properly diagnosing a wiring issue when having problems with timing (VVT particularly):

VVT Solenoid
Timing chain and/or guides
Cam sensor and/or crank sensor
VVT Actuator
PCM - replaced or reprogrammed
Cam and or Lifters
MDS solenoids

I hope this helps.

Last edited: