Yet another Bilstein 5160 question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BDWheeler13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey all! I'm hoping someone here has a bit of experience with an issue I'm having... The vehicle is a 2016 1500 Sport 4wd crew cab with about 115K miles on it. I've had Bilstein 6112's (set on clip 8) and 5160's with the +1 Bilstein rear coil spring for almost 6 months now. For the first 100k or so I had 5100's with stock springs. Ride quality with 5100's was pretty unremarkable from what I recall. Nothing bad to speak of but also nothing to write home about. Ever since I switched to the 6112/5160 I have noticed 2 things that have been driving me nuts.

#1 is a significantly harsher ride on my crappy country roads. Handling is tight with minimal body roll and when I do take it offroad they soak up tougher hits really well. But on road they are teeth chattering stiff. I've tried airing down to 35lbs with not much relief.

#2 There is a slight bounce in the rear end over even the smallest bump. Its not axle hop; its more like a dump truck trying to accelerate. I've brough it in to the local shop and they said they didn;'t notice what I was talking about so that wasn't helpful. I tried swapping springs to a progressive spring with the same lift and didn't notice any change so I'm still not sure what could cause it?

As far as the harsh ride quality, I'm just assuming its the way the shocks are meant to be so I'm not sure there is a fix to that. If anyone has any suggestions though, I'm open. But for the weird hop in the rear end, I'm wondering if a rear-end kit from Core 4X4 would help with that at all? I'm not really sure how all the components work so I thought I'd ask before I just go buying stuff.

I'm also not against scrapping the 6112/5160 and going back to 5100 or even trying something the Fox 2.0? I would just like to get some advice before I go blindly making changes like that.
Thanks in advance!

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
No issue before the change , sounds like the new stuff was in the wrong direction. It sucks having to replace again but that’s how it goes sometimes.

OP
OP
B

BDWheeler13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Very true. Unfortunately since I don't have the stock springs anymore it's even more expensive to go back to 5100s. Actually pretty close to a set of Fox 2.0s so I wonder if they'd be worth a try?

Appreciate the input!

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Hey all! I'm hoping someone here has a bit of experience with an issue I'm having... The vehicle is a 2016 1500 Sport 4wd crew cab with about 115K miles on it. I've had Bilstein 6112's (set on clip 8) and 5160's with the +1 Bilstein rear coil spring for almost 6 months now. For the first 100k or so I had 5100's with stock springs. Ride quality with 5100's was pretty unremarkable from what I recall. Nothing bad to speak of but also nothing to write home about. Ever since I switched to the 6112/5160 I have noticed 2 things that have been driving me nuts.

#1 is a significantly harsher ride on my crappy country roads. Handling is tight with minimal body roll and when I do take it offroad they soak up tougher hits really well. But on road they are teeth chattering stiff. I've tried airing down to 35lbs with not much relief.

#2 There is a slight bounce in the rear end over even the smallest bump. Its not axle hop; its more like a dump truck trying to accelerate. I've brough it in to the local shop and they said they didn;'t notice what I was talking about so that wasn't helpful. I tried swapping springs to a progressive spring with the same lift and didn't notice any change so I'm still not sure what could cause it?

As far as the harsh ride quality, I'm just assuming its the way the shocks are meant to be so I'm not sure there is a fix to that. If anyone has any suggestions though, I'm open. But for the weird hop in the rear end, I'm wondering if a rear-end kit from Core 4X4 would help with that at all? I'm not really sure how all the components work so I thought I'd ask before I just go buying stuff.

I'm also not against scrapping the 6112/5160 and going back to 5100 or even trying something the Fox 2.0? I would just like to get some advice before I go blindly making changes like that.
Thanks in advance!
Either one of the shocks is bound up or the suspension components were tightened in the air and your bushings are screaming

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What quick shifter said, have to loosen and retorque all suspension bushings under the weight of the truck whenever you change the height. I had to learn that the hard way lol