Yikes! Look What the Dealership Wants For This Easy Service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
This is called "profiteering" Over $800 for these few simple items? I think I will go elsewhere.

*BRAKE FLUID EXCHANGE
03/21/2024151.95
*TRANSFER CASE SERVICE03/21/2024262.8
*DIFFERENTIAL SERVICE - REAR03/21/2024209.75
*DIFFERENTIAL SERVICE - FRONT03/21/2024189.8

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
What is their hourly labor rate? What hours are being charged for each service? Do the prices include the fluids?

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
What is their hourly labor rate? What hours are being charged for each service? Do the prices include the fluids?
Yes, it would include fluids. But, still WAY too expensive.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Don’t know. It depends on their hourly labor rate and the book time for each service. How much do you think each of those services should cost?

Independent shop usually have a slightly lower hourly rate and use non-Mopar branded fluids. Those are common services so shop around and see what a good independent shop would charge.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Costs seem pretty in line for a dealership. Accounting for parts it looks like their rate is around $150/hr. Sounds about right for my area. As some said, independent shops usually have slightly cheaper rates, but some will use aftermarket instead of OEM.

Mopar transfer case fluid is about $53 a quart. My truck takes almost 2 quarts. $106
I believe Mopar diff fluid runs around $35 a quart. My truck takes about 3.5 quarts per axle. $245

Book time on the brake fluid exchange ranges from 30 min to 1 hr depending on the vehicle. I'm sure they charge an hr minimum.
Book time on the diff service used to be ~ 30 minutes per axle.
Book time on the transfer case service used to be ~30 minutes depending on what it had.

Last edited:

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Yeah I mean if you're going to go with the dealer you're going to pay more regardless, they have to use OEM branded (or recommended) stuff, plus as mentioned they usually have a higher hourly rate (my area it's about $100ish, I'm too lazy to look it up).

At least my dealer is relatively competent, but they're also one of the only shops around that's trustworthy. My work has tried several independent shops in the area for our company trucks and there aren't really any nearby that seem to be competent at anything but basic maintenance, and even then they're questionable - had new tires put on one truck and for MONTHS afterward the tire kept going flat despite us taking it back to them once every two weeks.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
While I'm not advocating for dealer services nor their crookery in pricing, but, if one is not handy oneself nor has a good independent shop that backs their work, using a dealership can provide insurance, per say to the vehicle owner.

For things like the front & rear diffs, and the brake flush & fill, use an independent shop and top quality fluids.

Transmission services, transfer case, and major items, perhaps consider the dealership as you'll then receive a MOPAR 2-year parts warranty. If they mess something up due to their service, they own it.

zrock

Reaction score
The only 2 that possibly make sense is the brake fluid change that would take some time.. The rest are just a matter of pulling a plug or using a pump and refilling, all 3 of the rest of the services could be done in a hour all together.. Most dealerships have specialty tools for these services that they hook up and walk away and work on another veh.

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
If you can’t do it yourself, you will pay someone else too much to do it for you.

Redline 75w85 and 75w90 is $24/L here, so $150 to do the front and rear. MT-LV is $30/L, $60 to do the transfer case. Brake fluid will cost you a few beers to your buddy to press the brake pedal repeatedly. For $240 and maybe a few left over beers you too can crawl around under a truck for 3 hours.

Don’t forget to rotate the tires.
IMG_0905.jpeg

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
If you have a compressor you can service your own brakes. Snag this bleeding tool from Harbor Freight for $30. One man job, takes minutes per corner.

The diff service is also easy. Drain and fill. Same with the xfer case.

Only service I'd consider paying for is a trans pan drop, filter and fill. Since the 8 speeds require a certain procedure to refill them. It's not hard, just time consuming.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
If you have a compressor you can service your own brakes. Snag this bleeding tool from Harbor Freight for $30. One man job, takes minutes per corner.

The diff service is also easy. Drain and fill. Same with the xfer case.

Only service I'd consider paying for is a trans pan drop, filter and fill. Since the 8 speeds require a certain procedure to refill them. It's not hard, just time consuming.
Thank you!