180 Degree Thermostat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looking for a 180 degree thermostat for my truck.

I believe I ordered a Stant or a Jet for my last truck from Moes, anyone have any thoughts on this one listed on Moes now?

Are there better options out there? Not suggesting that there is anything wrong with this one of course.

It has been a long time since I changed one, does the thermostat housing need a gasket too? Or does it seal on the thermostat itself?

Thanks! Already got some Mopar coolant on order just need a Tstat.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
If it is the old style T stat it needs a new gasket and personally I would just buy a Mopar 180 from Rock auto or the dealer. Ever since Covid I have found after market part quality has really gone into the toilet. Your header shows you with a 2022 and if so, the thermostats after about 2018 on the 6.4 is a lot is different so you may want to double check it that applies to the 5.7 too.

P.S. Remeber to mount the Jigglepin at 12 o'clock as it is a horizontal mounted thermostat.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Looking for a 180 degree thermostat for my truck.

I believe I ordered a Stant or a Jet for my last truck from Moes, anyone have any thoughts on this one listed on Moes now?

Are there better options out there? Not suggesting that there is anything wrong with this one of course.

It has been a long time since I changed one, does the thermostat housing need a gasket too? Or does it seal on the thermostat itself?

Thanks! Already got some Mopar coolant on order just need a Tstat.
These days that thermostat has one of the better reps out of all the aftermarket thermostats G.Just reuse your gasket off your original thermostat if it doesn't come with one.Make sure you precheck it,in a pot of water on the stove using the bosses meat therometer to check the temp it starts to open at,just don't let her catch you,otherwise your name might be mud,and you might be sleeping with the dog,lol

OP
OP
G-Ride990

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
These days that thermostat has one of the better reps out of all the aftermarket thermostats G.Just reuse your gasket off your original thermostat if it doesn't come with one.Make sure you precheck it,in a pot of water on the stove using the bosses meat therometer to check the temp it starts to open at,just don't let her catch you,otherwise your name might be mud,and you might be sleeping with the dog,lol

Sweet thanks! I'll place the order now, Moe's has an option to add a gasket too. Not sure which it is but I bet it's a Felpro. Guess I will order one just for insurance if I mess up the OEM one. I don't think there was a gasket there last time I did it on my 2016. But it has been a while, could be mistaken.

Got a gallon of distilled water ready and a gallon of concentrated HOAT that will be here tomorrow, I think I used about a cup of it last time I did it though. Didn't lose much. Amazon shows I ordered my last gallon back in 2018 haha. Time flies!

Last time It was a 10 minute job. Just trying to make sure I have everything before I crack it open.

Thanks gents!

I wish we had some speed shops here still. Way back in the day we had a few and I used to go there all the time looking for parts for my Dakota r/t. There are a couple left but they never have anything in stock.

Have only driven my truck a dozen miles or so but it's running about 208-215 degrees so far. FYI. That is with 110 degrees ambient temp. Id like to cool it down a bit.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Sweet thanks! I'll place the order now, Moe's has an option to add a gasket too. Not sure which it is but I bet it's a Felpro. Guess I will order one just for insurance if I mess up the OEM one. I don't think there was a gasket there last time I did it on my 2016. But it has been a while, could be mistaken.

Got a gallon of distilled water ready and a gallon of concentrated HOAT that will be here tomorrow, I think I used about a cup of it last time I did it though. Didn't lose much. Amazon shows I ordered my last gallon back in 2018 haha. Time flies!

Last time It was a 10 minute job. Just trying to make sure I have everything before I crack it open.

Thanks gents!

I wish we had some speed shops here still. Way back in the day we had a few and I used to go there all the time looking for parts for my Dakota r/t. There are a couple left but they never have anything in stock.

Have only driven my truck a dozen miles or so but it's running about 208-215 degrees so far. FYI. That is with 110 degrees ambient temp. Id like to cool it down a bit.
They use a rubber o-ring style gasket right on the outer lip of the t-stat,it's easy to swap onto another t-stat,but if Matts price isn't to bad on the gasket,it never hurts to have a spare.
We're down to 2 speed shops now,but they aren't to bad,as they do keep a fair bit of stuff in stock,but they're both geared to to the older stuff,or the mustang/camaro crowd,more then the challenger/charger crowd

OP
OP
G-Ride990

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They use a rubber o-ring style gasket right on the outer lip of the t-stat,it's easy to swap onto another t-stat,but if Matts price isn't to bad on the gasket,it never hurts to have a spare.
We're down to 2 speed shops now,but they aren't to bad,as they do keep a fair bit of stuff in stock,but they're both geared to to the older stuff,or the mustang/camaro crowd,more then the challenger/charger crowd
Ah cool thanks for the confirmation. That is what I thought, I didn't remember scraping a paper gasket off last time. Wonder what this one is going to show up with.

Side note, Matt's site is looking a bit dated. Hope he's still rocking and rolling with everything and I end up getting my thermostat soon. Looks like the years/sections have not been updated on his site for a few years now.

The speed shops we have left seem to be SBC specific shops. When I had my El Camino and my Dakota I could sometimes find some stuff there. But these days, nothin useful for late model stuff.

Amazon is a curse and a blessing at the same time.

TNMOPAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You might want to get a tune to adjust the fan. The fan will not come on until the water temps go over 212 or close to that. The coolant will climb to 200+ when idling or in traffic defeating the purpose for the 180.

OP
OP
G-Ride990

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You might want to get a tune to adjust the fan. The fan will not come on until the water temps go over 212 or close to that. The coolant will climb to 200+ when idling or in traffic defeating the purpose for the 180.
It will be fine. I ran one in my 2016 for many years before getting a tune when I installed my long tubes.

Edit: Saw your sig, had to check out your gallery. Your truck is gorgeous, hope that SRT is treating you well!

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
As soon as you're moving above 15/20 mph, the temps will come down,and he can bypass the tune issue for now,by running the A/C,which i'm guessing in Arizona is still being used,lol

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
You guys are way luckier than I am. Any time I take out a T stat the gasket is always pooched, even the o ring style ones. Think I might get to reuse one about 1 every 8 changes.

I miss the speed shops too. JB Auto is about the last left around Edmonton that actually carries some stock. Haven't been into Speedtech in ages. Wonder if they are still in the business.

OP
OP
G-Ride990

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You guys are way luckier than I am. Any time I take out a T stat the gasket is always pooched, even the o ring style ones. Think I might get to reuse one about 1 every 8 changes.

I miss the speed shops too. JB Auto is about the last left around Edmonton that actually carries some stock.
Funny thing with my last tstat swap was that I thought I was going to lose a lot of coolant. I ordered two gallons of Mopar coolant and got 2 gallons of distilled water locally.

Ended up using barely any coolant or water and kept all of that extra coolant for years. I bought and sold two houses and lugged that coolant around for years haha.

Now that I need it, I don't have it anymore!! Don't even remember who I gave that new sealed bottle of coolant too haha.

8 changes? How often do you change it out? Lucky for me and the climate I am in, toss a 180* in it and forget about it forever. Obviously LOL

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Funny thing with my last tstat swap was that I thought I was going to lose a lot of coolant. I ordered two gallons of Mopar coolant and got 2 gallons of distilled water locally.

Ended up using barely any coolant or water and kept all of that extra coolant for years. I bought and sold two houses and lugged that coolant around for years haha.

Now that I need it, I don't have it anymore!! Don't even remember who I gave that new sealed bottle of coolant too haha.

8 changes? How often do you change it out? Lucky for me and the climate I am in, toss a 180* in it and forget about it forever. Obviously LOL
Don't swap them now since I moved to newer vehicles in 2020. Up till then, used to swap 3 vehicles spring and fall, so that was 6 changes a year for years. Did the T stats when we did the rest of the winter/summer swap over, on oil viscosity, tires, tire pressure, rad covers, in car warmers etc. Here it goes from 90 F summer to minus 50 winter, so the older vehicles had a lot of stuff that worked much better if it was aligned to the weather.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Just remember not to crank on the petcock to hard,once it stops turning,don't go any farther ,it can be a royal pain to reinstall if you remove it. I still swap thermostats between a 180 for the summer and either a 192 or 203 for the winter,the 300 gets the stock 203 for the winter,as it does see -30 or colder,when i still had the 2 toys,they got a 192,just in case i had to use either.Gave me a chance to keep on top of coolant changes,as i always top everything off with new coolant on each thermostat change.Don't forget about the bleed plug on the front cover,it makes burping the system easy,just fill up till coolant runs out the hole,and you've got the majority of air out of the engine

OP
OP
G-Ride990

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just remember not to crank on the petcock to hard,once it stops turning,don't go any farther ,it can be a royal pain to reinstall if you remove it. I still swap thermostats between a 180 for the summer and either a 192 or 203 for the winter,the 300 gets the stock 203 for the winter,as it does see -30 or colder,when i still had the 2 toys,they got a 192,just in case i had to use either.Gave me a chance to keep on top of coolant changes,as i always top everything off with new coolant on each thermostat change.Don't forget about the bleed plug on the front cover,it makes burping the system easy,just fill up till coolant runs out the hole,and you've got the majority of air out of the engine
Thats a lot of swapping too. But if it works, who cares?

I might post up some pictures about it and some before and after temps so we don't keep getting the same arguments on the forum.

We know it shouldn't matter. But in this case, it makes a big difference! My trans temps are much more concerning, hopefully will have Caulk's bypass installed soon too and I'll be happy.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thats a lot of swapping too. But if it works, who cares?

I might post up some pictures about it and some before and after temps so we don't keep getting the same arguments on the forum.

We know it shouldn't matter. But in this case, it makes a big difference! My trans temps are much more concerning, hopefully will have Caulk's bypass installed soon too and I'll be happy.
About all you have left is to add a filter relocation kit G,lol
Between the t-stat and Jesse's bypass it should have a noticable reduction in both tranny and engine temps.Looking forward to your opinions on both

OP
OP
G-Ride990

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
About all you have left is to add a filter relocation kit G,lol
Between the t-stat and Jesse's bypass it should have a noticable reduction in both tranny and engine temps.Looking forward to your opinions on both
Never ended up doing a relocation kit on my last truck. But I probably should have. I'm tired of oil draining down my arm and all over my steering rack.

I'll post up some pics when everything comes in. No doubt it will be much cooler.

I ended up ordering a Tstat for my dads 2021 too. Figured since we have the same truck now, might as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G-Ride990

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got the thermostat in, still waiting on the coolant to show up. Might just swing by a dealer tomorrow and grab a bottle.

The extra gasket I ordered ended up being a Cometic o-ring style.

This thermostat doesn't have a jiggle pin like the stock ones do. Is that going to be an issue? I do have one of those radiator cap bleeding/no spill funnels I will be using which has worked flawlessly for me in the past.

Interesting thing to note the back of the package lists the thermostat as being compatible for Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth v8 engines 1951- '74

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Got the thermostat in, still waiting on the coolant to show up. Might just swing by a dealer tomorrow and grab a bottle.

The extra gasket I ordered ended up being a Cometic o-ring style.

This thermostat doesn't have a jiggle pin like the stock ones do. Is that going to be an issue? I do have one of those radiator cap bleeding/no spill funnels I will be using which has worked flawlessly for me in the past.

Interesting thing to note the back of the package lists the thermostat as being compatible for Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth v8 engines 1951- '74
That was why i said to check out a local speed shop,as that thermostat fits a pile of applications,lol.
If you haven't topped it off yet G,you could drill a small hole in the outer ring,but if you pull the bleed/burp plug out,it's not really needed.

Last edited: