180 Degree Thermostat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G-Ride990

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That was why i said to check out a local speed shop,as that thermostat fits a pile of applications,lol.
If you haven't topped it off yet Mike,you could drill a small hole in the outer ring,but if you pull the bleed/burp plug out,it's not really needed.
I don't think it will be an issue but since the design is a bit different, I figured I better ask.

Check out these temps. Don't like em! (30 minute drive home in traffic and mixed freeway and surface streets)

Much hotter than my last truck.

20240906_145220.jpg

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I don't think it will be an issue but since the design is a bit different, I figured I better ask.

Check out these temps. Don't like em! (30 minute drive home in traffic and mixed freeway and surface streets)

Much hotter than my last truck.

View attachment 550283
That 114F outdoor temp isn't condusive to a cool running truck G,lol.How the hell do you guys live in those temps :Big Laugh:Must be a 3.21 geared truck with those rpms at 70mph.

OP
OP
G-Ride990

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That 114F outdoor temp isn't condusive to a cool running truck G,lol.How the hell do you guys live in those temps :Big Laugh:Must be a 3.21 geared truck with those rpms at 70mph.
Seriously! I think we are at 102 consecutive days at over 100F* ambient this year. It sucks! But, it'll be amazing weather for the next six months. Eventually... haha

Yeah, don't like the 3.21s either. But I do think this truck runs even lower in RPM than my 8hp70. And to be honest, I usually drive much faster but I didn't want to take a picture driving any faster than that haha.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Seriously! I think we are at 102 consecutive days at over 100F* ambient this year. It sucks! But, it'll be amazing weather for the next six months. Eventually... haha

Yeah, don't like the 3.21s either. But I do think this truck runs even lower in RPM than my 8hp70. And to be honest, I usually drive much faster but I didn't want to take a picture driving any faster than that haha.
I actually kicked my ass for swapping out the 3.21's to 3.55's,as my truck spent more time at 80+ mph then it did at 60,and the 3.21's were a way better combo at those speeds in my opinion.Plus with the 3.21's it was good for 155mph(might of had another couple more mph in it,but i chickened out,lol),with the 3.55's about 149 was all it'd do,lol

OP
OP
G-Ride990

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I actually kicked my ass for swapping out the 3.21's to 3.55's,as my truck spent more time at 80+ mph then it did at 60,and the 3.21's were a way better combo at those speeds in my opinion.Plus with the 3.21's it was good for 155mph(might of had another couple more mph in it,but i chickened out,lol),with the 3.55's about 149 was all it'd do,lol
Difference between a hot rod and a mall crawler. I think I saw triple digits a couple times in 7ish years of ownership of my last truck. Mine felt really fast past a certain point with those big tires haha.

Thanks again for your help @Wild one and everyone else!

I'll probably just end up doing the thermostat and oil change with redline 5w-30 & 20-820rp this weekend because of waiting on parts still. Will be interesting to see how my truck does with that and then Caulk's bypass next weekend too. He's going to send out that billet cap Monday.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Difference between a hot rod and a mall crawler. I think I saw triple digits a couple times in 7ish years of ownership of my last truck. Mine felt really fast past a certain point with those big tires haha.

I'll probably just end up doing the thermostat and oil change with redline 5w-30 & 20-820rp this weekend because of waiting on parts still. Will be interesting to see how my truck does with that and then Caulk's bypass next weekend too. He's going to send out that billet cap Monday.
When you live where the roads look like this,finding top end in Mexico is no problem :Big Laugh:

Attachments

• DSCN5086 (2).JPG
    DSCN5086 (2).JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 6

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Ooo... If I still had my street bikes, I'd be in jail for sure.
Thats why i never bought a street bike,i knew it'd either put me in jail or kill me,lol. Growing up on Motocross bikes that had 2 positions to the throttle,"idle" and "Wide Open" ruined me for riding street bikes,as i would of rode them the same way :Big Laugh: :Big Laugh:

imamess

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Interesting thing to note the back of the package lists the thermostat as being compatible for Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth v8 engines 1951- '74
Doesn't suprise me. The distributor from a 67 318 Dart Swinger will plug right into your late 90s 5.2 or 5.9 magnum. Works best if you get the old style can coil. 4BBL carb manifold from edelbrock (the Magnum has a different head so the old style from the 80s won't bolt up, you need a Magnum specific one) and your good to go. A 650 CFM carb will really wake those things up. Also you'll wanna take your cat out, its going to glow cherry red.

CanuckRam1313

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine

You'll also see your engine coolant temps drop a few degrees as well after installing Caulks bypass valve.
That was a nice added bonus I noticed after having this upgrade installed.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Thats why i never bought a street bike,i knew it'd either put me in jail or kill me,lol. Growing up on Motocross bikes that had 2 positions to the throttle,"idle" and "Wide Open" ruined me for riding street bikes,as i would of rode them the same way :Big Laugh: :Big Laugh:
I too rode my street bikes like my dirt bikes. Got REALLY lucky and am still here to talk about it. Don't ride bikes anymore, old bodies don't bounce near as good as young bodies.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I too rode my street bikes like my dirt bikes. Got REALLY lucky and am still here to talk about it. Don't ride bikes anymore, old bodies don't bounce near as good as young bodies.
We go "splat" more often then we bounce :Big Laugh: