19 Classic transmission service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdh1978

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have 128K highway miles, no towing on my 19 Classic. I have serviced transmissions many times over the years and am pretty irritated in discovering the design/process on this one.

Question-most seem to get 5.5 to 5.75 quarts back in-with the transmission leveled out by jacking the rear, is a full transmission going to have fluid level above the fill plug when cold and not running? In other words, can you physically get the same amount of fluid back in without it up and running in the temp range called for in the "procedure"

I would like to think it possible to complete the job without running the truck and doing the top off hot. It's already a pretty expensive job with the fluid and integral pan/filter unit I don't want a shop to do it.

Adamcr68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemifever 5.7
I have 128K highway miles, no towing on my 19 Classic. I have serviced transmissions many times over the years and am pretty irritated in discovering the design/process on this one.

Question-most seem to get 5.5 to 5.75 quarts back in-with the transmission leveled out by jacking the rear, is a full transmission going to have fluid level above the fill plug when cold and not running? In other words, can you physically get the same amount of fluid back in without it up and running in the temp range called for in the "procedure"

I would like to think it possible to complete the job without running the truck and doing the top off hot. It's already a pretty expensive job with the fluid and integral pan/filter unit I don't want a shop to do it.
As I understand it, the transmission has to be at a certain temp. because of fluid expanstion.
The truck has to be put in 2nd gear while in that temp range to make sure it fills valve body/ torque converter? I’m not sure that is the reason why, so because my truck is my only vehicle I take mine my mechanic- Quick_Shifter- for any work I don’t feel confident to do myself.
Do a search for the procedure, lots of members here do their own, with great success, hopefully they will be able give more accurate info on the how’d & why’s.
Good luck & let us know your results.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
A couple days ago there was this same question, I am not the one to give a proper answer, some here can, but I think the reason is the tork converter has to be kept full of oil while filling.
Do it correct or don't do it . I believe Ram Driver posted the factory spec a while back for this.

I don't think it is hard , if you can get the truck up and transmission level, I use to have a good ramp system on the farm made from railwaybridge timbers. It worked on heavy trucks, tractors.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

No you can't get the proper amount back in,if it's not running. You need it running to fill the convertor,and you need to have it make the shift into 2nd gear to fill the clutch circuits,so the rear tires need to be in the air,for it to make the shift to 2nd. Here's the procedure,and apparently the ideal checking temp is between 105 and 110,the 122 is the max temp,not the ideal temp.

Attachments

• IMG_3383 (2).JPG
    IMG_3383 (2).JPG
    272.9 KB · Views: 8