1996 12 Valve Cummins Sputtering and Dying Under Load

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdtvfl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can go outside right now and the truck will start on the first crank and idle fine. If I rev it up the rpms will go up fine. As soon as I start to drive and get out the road about a mile it will start sputtering and dying. After this it will struggle to start. Once I get it started again it will idle fine. I have put a new lift pump on it. The heater bowl screen is fine. I’ve put a new fuel filter on it. The truck sat for a long time and it was because the fuel sending unit in the tank was messed up. I replaced that and the truck ran great for about 2 weeks then it started doing what I am listing now. As long as I keep off the throttle when driving it will go forever it’s when trying to get to highway speeds that it wants to die. I’m not sure where else to turn or what else to do.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
That's a thing with the 12 valve, when first driving the hammer should be all the way down. Have you tried that? If not try it and report back. It's kinda weird and unnatural, you feel like a kid, but the 12 valve is known to need this. When you first start sputtering, had you had the hammer to the floor prior? How long have you had the truck?

OP
OP
J

jdtvfl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am honestly not sure what you mean with the hammer…is this dealing with the fuel shut off solenoid?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Gas pedal to the floor. There sounds like two things, I can ask a buddy what he thinks on second thing, but see if you can solve first thing first and perhaps that effects second thing, dunno we can try.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
OK man, which is it what you say there or what you said here?

I can go outside right now and the truck will start on the first crank and idle fine. If I rev it up the rpms will go up fine. As soon as I start to drive and get out the road about a mile it will start sputtering and dying.

Because if it is the latter, it is a known thing, if it is what you just said, dunno. I got a call in, but which is it? My friends daily is a 12 valve and he lives and breaths 12v as many guys lucky enough to own one do. See what he says, but I inquired based on what you said first. Everytime we go somewhere in his 12 valve, it wont drive right unless the hammer is all the way down early when driving. He said the reason I had forgot that part. Once the engine is primed, he can drive it regularly.

OP
OP
J

jdtvfl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK man, which is it what you say there or what you said here?

I can go outside right now and the truck will start on the first crank and idle fine. If I rev it up the rpms will go up fine. As soon as I start to drive and get out the road about a mile it will start sputtering and dying.

Because if it is the latter, it is a known thing, if it is what you just said, dunno. I got a call in, but which is it? My friends daily is a 12 valve and he lives and breaths 12v as many guys lucky enough to own one do. See what he says, but I inquired based on what you said first. Everytime we go somewhere in his 12 valve, it wont drive right unless the hammer is all the way down early when driving. He said the reason I had forgot that part. Once the engine is primed, he can drive it regularly.
it is like I said in the first one. It will sit and idle and if I drive at like 20 mph it will go where I want. But if I get on the throttle and it the rpms will start falling then in will sputter and die and not want to start. Once it starts it will sit and idle but it will do the same thing once you get driving.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I didn't like the answer I got, I have a clarification text to see what he says. His first thought is turbo as something to look into. I'll see what he says if he can clarify if the "prime" has to do with turbo. How is air filter?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I haven't helped you yet, just trying to help you, lol. Well usually he is more helpful he must be busy at the moment, but he says look hard at the air side of the issue especially the turbo. Gas/air/spark his initial thought without being with the truck is air. Google what you can check with the turbo and causes and something to consider or look into. I didn't get any info on the priming of the 12 valve, so I am puzzled myself at this point. look into air

To humor me next time you get a chance first time you take her out, hammer to the floor as long as you can safely do it just see if that helps. I know he does this for a reason he just isn't helping me now.

OP
OP
J

jdtvfl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did it as soon as I got into it and it just dies it’s like it’s starving for fuel