2002 4.7 overheating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Theskaz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello everyone. I just bought a 2002 Ram 1500 with a 4.7 Mag. It is overheating. I have replaced:
- Radiator
- Water Pump
- Thermostat
- Rad Cap

When overheating, the top radiator hose is hot, and the bottom one is cold. This tells me that it is not circulating water. I pulled the thermostat back out and flushed the engine and heater core by taking a water hose into the top radiator hose connection (on the engine size) and flushed everything out until it ran clear. I also took a heat gun to the thermostat to ensure it works properly and it did open without issue (91C 196F). Tried to run the engine without a thermostat to see if that was blocking it, but could not get it to hold water without the thermostat in there. The heater core allows fluid through, although not as free as I expected. But it looks like the heater core isnt in direct path due to a T that is between the reservoir hose and the heater core.

Dealership thinks it could be head gasket or blocked jacket. I think I debunked both of those as there is no escaping pressure through the system, and I was able to flush the block.

What else could it be?!

OP
OP
T

Theskaz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
it was a clogged heater core... had to take the dash apart.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Heatercore will not make it overheat its un related. Have you checked you fan clutch? also have you burped the system good? I have gotten bad thermostats before its also common people accidently put them in backwards so double check that. Does it look like it ever had stop leak in the system? It will look like little metal flakes.