2006 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi No Start/Crank After Timing Chain Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ebner20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
New member here. Been browsing through post after post and not finding what I needed so I'm starting a new thread.

So this truck has been dying off and on at random times for the past month but would always fire right back up and drive. Until 2 weeks ago. I was on my way to work and truck shut off and wouldn't start. It would only making a whirring noise while cranking.

I had it towed to a shop and they diagnosed it with broken timing chain. They said they hooked it up to a scope and didn't get any compression so it must have bent valves.

Well, being I'm cheap and like to do stuff on my own I had them tow it back to my house so I could tinker.

The valve covers were leaking oil already so I ordered new gaskets and changed them. While I had the covers off, I turned the engine all the way through and it appeared that all rockers were performing as normal and obviously my chain hadn't broke since I was able to turn the engine over and over.

So I get the accessories all stripped off and get the cover off. I immediately see that chain is fine but the tensioner had broke. I was able to fish out all the pieces as well. (See attached pictures)

I got cylinder 1 to tpc and then proceeded to pull off the oil pump and then the sprockets and chain. I replaced all of it with new oem parts. Camshaft sproket was at 12 and crank was at 2 as per the manual. I reinstalled everything back to how it was.
All gaskets replaced with timing cover as well.

I replaced the oil pump and water pump since I had it all easily available.

I replaced both crankshaft sensor and camshaft sensor with oem.

Got the belt back on and tried to fire it up before installing the coolant components just in case I had to get back in and all it does is spin. Doesn't fire up, just spins.

I got underneath and hear my fuel pump going. I've checked all fuses and they are good. Battery is fully charged up and I get nothing.

I've uploaded a video to YouTube so you can see and hear what it is doing.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240728_132537_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20240728_132537_Snapchat.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20240728_132512_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20240728_132512_Snapchat.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
E

ebner20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Couple of things to note:

When turning key to on position, my tachometer doesn't move all all. My other guages do.

I also have a red lightning bolt displayed for a minute before it disappears as well as "Serv 4wd" which also dissappear.

I scanned truck for codes and the only code I get is for the battery recently being disconnected.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry to break the bad news but that engine has no compression pull the heads and have them rebuilt you have bent valves this is 100% your issue also check the pistons for damage when the heads are off it honestly may be easier to just do a engine swap so many parts trucks around on facebook.