2012 5.7 injector failure!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T_Unit114

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just wrapped up a valve spring replacement and some other stuff related to a broken valve spring. Got everything back together and first fire up yielded a miss on #7 (not the injured cylinder from the previous issues)

Truck threw a couple lean codes as well for that side so I opened up AlfaOBD and pulled up live data for all injector pulse widths. All cylinders were showing the same except #7 flat lining at 0. I pulled the injector, popped on a node light, and got proper signal to the connector. Pulled 5&7 injectors, both have resistance readings of 12.6 ohms but I can't seem to find a spec anywhere for what they should be reading.

I swapped #5&7 and started it back up, #5 was now showing dead pulse width and #7 was even with all others.

I'm fairly confident at this point saying that I have a dead injector, but not knowing the resistance they should be showing has me wondering if the rest may be out of spec as well. Does anyone know what they should be reading for resistance?

Pic of the fun I've been having with this project.

1000002656.jpg

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
14.5 ohms. Minimum is 13 Ohms, maximum is 14.75 Ohms but check the shop manual to be sure.

OP
OP
T_Unit114

T_Unit114

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Got the injector swapped out. All 8 are lining up now on pulse data.

Still having issues though, idle is way high, sputtering, and still throwing lean codes like crazy. Also added a significant vacuum leak code to the mix as well. I suppose I'll be pulling the intake off and giving that another once over. I cleaned it and replaced all gaskets. Maybe one squirted out or something.

The truck is my daily and has been down since memorial day. I'm about over this. I'm starting to get frustrated.

OP
OP
T_Unit114

T_Unit114

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Found my problem(s)! Apparently plastic intake plenums really don't like combustion boom booms torching 5 holes through them. Three pinholes and two gaping breaches in the plenum from fire blowing back through the intake valve and melting the runner down. #5 is in rough shape to put it kindly, with 5 breaches in the runner. I suppose that would be the cause for my vacuum leak. I gobbed a bunch of grey rtv over the breaches,hoping it'll hold til I can source a brand used one that isn't burnt to all hell 1000002682.jpg1000002687.jpg1000002688.jpg