2012 Ram 1500 Starting issue maybe TPIM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crash Dummy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
My 2012 Ram 1500 will sometimes have a problem cranking. It usually starts but about 1 in 3 tries it will sound like it is cranking for 1/2 a second then silence. Usually if I put it in neutral and turning the key slowly it will start normally. A neighbor had the same issue a fixed it by changing out the TIPM. I have tried changing the relays, load tested the battery, tried a different key phob. Nothing seems to help. The worst time it took 10 tries before it started. Do I need a whole new TIPM or is there a fix (I am used to working with electronics)?

RamMaam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
About three years ago, our 2012 would intermittently crank but not immediately start. We had the battery tested and was told it had a bad cell. We replaced the battery which fixed the issue until about a month ago when it started doing the same thing – crank but not start without a jump.

We bit the bullet and took it to a local shop here in Spokane to run a diagnostic. We were half expecting it to be the fuel pump, but they said it was the TIPM wiring for the fuel pump relay. According to the repair shop, this is a very common repair job.

They quoted us $195 for a fuel pump relocation kit and $375 for labor to require the TIPM (quote included the diagnostic labor) for a grand total of $640!

Meanwhile, I started searching YT videos to see if we could tackle the job ourselves and found two related vids. I can’t recall the rules about posting links to YT videos here, but I can email you the links if it’s not allowed.

The vids walk you through the steps to check if your fuel pump is the issue. If the pump is working when tested but the pickup won’t start, you can buy a 20 amp bypass cable kit for the fuse box for approx. $7. Both videos provide links to purchase the cable.

The cable kit arrived today, took less than five minutes to install and worked like a charm! Imagine that, a $7 fix the shop didn’t mention until we said we were going to pick up the truck instead of having the recommended work done. He actually said “That’s what I would do,” when he asked if we were going to try the bypass first! No thanks to him, we dodged a very expense bill.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Good shops aren't usually in the business of creating jumper harnesses and short cuts. They replace bad parts with equivalent good ones to cover their own butts. They can't warranty a jumper harness.

That said, the bypass mod is well known and seems to work just fine. I did that for my mother-in-law's Town and Country van last year. Still going strong.