Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Delano1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hello,

I am trying to help my brother diagnose a cylinder 2 misfire on his 2014 Ram 1500 3.6L. He has already replace the ignition coil on that cylinder with no improvement. I checked the number 2 injector with my PicoScope and it shows a good waveform except that it is about .365 ms shorter duration than the number 4 injector at idle. The misfire is on cylinder 2, cylinder 4 has no misfire. Is it normal to have a slight variation like that between injectors? I have attached an image of the two waveforms. The green trace is the good cylinder 4.

Thanks

Attachments

• 2014 Ram 1500 #2 Injector.png
    2014 Ram 1500 #2 Injector.png
    35.6 KB · Views: 4

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello,

I am trying to help my brother diagnose a cylinder 2 misfire on his 2014 Ram 1500 3.6L. He has already replace the ignition coil on that cylinder with no improvement. I checked the number 2 injector with my PicoScope and it shows a good waveform except that it is about .365 ms shorter duration than the number 4 injector at idle. The misfire is on cylinder 2, cylinder 4 has no misfire. Is it normal to have a slight variation like that between injectors? I have attached an image of the two waveforms. The green trace is the good cylinder 4.

Thanks

The oscilloscope diagnosis is way above my skill set and hopefully someone can answer your question with certainty. That said is your brothers 3.6 making a ticking sound? The 3.6 has been known to eat a cam lobe especially on the pre 2018 engines.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hello,

Thanks
This may help you, I too have a 2014 3.6L... Here is the diagnosis from my dealer when my injector was bad. If you find the same, I'd recommend replacing all of the injectors on that bank while you are there as I had failures on both 2 and 4 within a year.

1720621560625.png
1720621608714.png

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check the compression. Those years and older were known for having a bad head around 100K and up mileage.

OP
OP
D

Delano1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks for the info. I am aware of the cylinder head issue on this year truck. I was hoping to find out it was something less serious than that, but it is looking more like it could be the head issue so I will do the compression test. Thanks for the injector information also. I'll check the ohms on the number 2 injector

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thanks for the info. I am aware of the cylinder head issue on this year truck. I was hoping to find out it was something less serious than that, but it is looking more like it could be the head issue so I will do the compression test. Thanks for the injector information also. I'll check the ohms on the number 2 injector
So what is the cylinder head issue on this year?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Cylinder Head Explanation

My son had to have a head replaced under warranty on his van around 110,000 miles.

He made it in just under warranty not from miles, but years. Didn't cost him a thing.
Do you know the details on the failure? I've seen a lot of folks complaining of Head Gasket Failure on the Pacifica forums. Was this a warped head or a failed gasket? Do you know which cylinder?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Swap the 4 and 2 Injector, easiest way to see if that is the issue. Have you run a fuel line cleaner and have you checked to make sure the plug and plug wire on 2 are both good, as they will also cause a missfire?

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you know the details on the failure? I've seen a lot of folks complaining of Head Gasket Failure on the Pacifica forums. Was this a warped head or a failed gasket? Do you know which cylinder?

The problem from the factory was the #2 cylinder valve seat would overheat and warp, burn the valve, or the seat would come loose.

Checking the compression and comparing that to the other two cylinders on that head will give you an answer.