2014 UAQ Radio upgrade [member help wanted]

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dm12345

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Hi all, Wondering if anyone is willing to use a laser temperature reader to measure the temperature of their screen & the under side of the radio to compare temperatures?

I got a UAQ out of a wrecked classic '19 for my 2014 Limited; after installing it and the infotainment harness, the radio is hot to the touch after 30 min of driving. I used my laser temperature reader and the top right corner is 48 deg C / 118 deg F. It is also that temperature on the underside of the unit (I hadn’t reinstalled the AC controls yet). I called the wrecker & they had me try installing a UAS unit, which was about 38 deg C /100 deg F on the screen but still 118F under the screen.

I’m in Canada and testing when the exterior temp just below freezing , so it’s not like the ambient temperature from the cabin is causing the issue, nor is it heat from the AC controller.

Anyone have any issues with the infotainment harness be causing heating problem?

TIA

Brads41789

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I don't have the UAQ anymore but I purchased one from Infotainment a few months ago and I remember it was always HOT. I returned it because it was not functioning properly but they told me it was "normal for it to run hot". It was too hot to touch most times after driving for a few minutes (and this was when it was only 50/60 deg F outside so the weather was not having that kind of effect on it

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hi all, Wondering if anyone is willing to use a laser temperature reader to measure the temperature of their screen & the under side of the radio to compare temperatures?

I got a UAQ out of a wrecked classic '19 for my 2014 Limited; after installing it and the infotainment harness, the radio is hot to the touch after 30 min of driving. I used my laser temperature reader and the top right corner is 48 deg C / 118 deg F. It is also that temperature on the underside of the unit (I hadn’t reinstalled the AC controls yet). I called the wrecker & they had me try installing a UAS unit, which was about 38 deg C /100 deg F on the screen but still 118F under the screen.

I’m in Canada and testing when the exterior temp just below freezing , so it’s not like the ambient temperature from the cabin is causing the issue, nor is it heat from the AC controller.

Anyone have any issues with the infotainment harness be causing heating problem?

TIA
I believe all 8.4s run hot. In fact, hotter than they should for a passively cooled system. I believe it is also the likely culprit for screen delamination and ghost touches on the 2018+ radios.

I installed 2 cooling fans...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is a problem with the UAS/UAQ radios. The original RA3/RA4 radios from 13 to 17 don't have the screen delamination or wear issues and run much cooler.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
This is a problem with the UAS/UAQ radios. The original RA3/RA4 radios from 13 to 17 don't have the screen delamination or wear issues and run much cooler.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk
I had an RA4 that got hotter than these. I suspected the Sierra wireless failure common in those was due to overheating as well.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Any chance you’ll share a picture & what type of fan you put in?
Here you go...

https://www.ramforum.com/index.php?posts/2189374

x2 is what I used
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0119SG8X4?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

In hindsight I might have used these instead with how close they sit to the radio (if they'll fit) for possibly better cooling (but maybe not as quiet).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GB5JRTZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_c3u6FbHWSH4DA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

OP
OP
D

dm12345

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I have so many questions.. hope you don’t mind lol: How did you mount the fans? How did you connect them to power? What direction are they mounted in (heat being pulled away or cool air being pushed toward the radio)? Did the fans solve your issue? Do you have a temperature laser gun to test the temp of your screen? Would you do anything differently?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have so many questions.. hope you don’t mind lol: How did you mount the fans? How did you connect them to power? What direction are they mounted in (heat being pulled away or cool air being pushed toward the radio)? Did the fans solve your issue? Do you have a temperature laser gun to test the temp of your screen? Would you do anything differently?
Q: How did you mount the fans?

A: Zip ties

Q: how did you connect them to power?

A: I tapped into the ACC power at the cigarette lighter port originally but I've since used that same tap to trigger a relay that energizes with ACC for multiple devices I wanted to power. If you are just doing two fans the first simple tap should be plenty.

Q: what direction are they mounted in (heat being pulled away or cool air being pushed toward the radio)?

A: pulled away.

Q: did the fans solve your issue?

A: this was more of a preventative modification on my part. I had an RA4 that got hot and a UAS that had screen issues. When I got another pristine UAS I wanted it to stay that way. I even went so far as to fashion a heat shield from fiberglass exhaust wrap and reflective tape that fits between the screen and radio. I chose not to install this on my second UAS since it involves opening the radio and removing the screen (which disturbs every piece of thermal tape in the radio). If I ever needed to replace the screen I would throw my DIY shield in...

Q: do you have a temperature laser gun to test the temp of your screen?

A: nope, mark one touch test only

Q: would you do anything differently?

A: I may have used the static pressure variant of the Arctic fans with some of these if I needed to lower the speed (for noise purposes)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KG3KP1U?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

bloup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don’t know if it’s a UAQ thing but my Canadian UCQ does not run hot. I went for a 2 hour drive the other day with CarPlay on and screen did not feel hot after 2 hours.

The only complaint I have thus far is the screen won’t respond to touch if I have a glove on. I thought I could have a glove on with my RA3 but I cannot recall for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I don’t know if it’s a UAQ thing but my Canadian UCQ does not run hot. I went for a 2 hour drive the other day with CarPlay on and screen did not feel hot after 2 hours.

The only complaint I have thus far is the screen won’t respond to touch if I have a glove on. I thought I could have a glove on with my RA3 but I cannot recall for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's the back where you can tell if it's overheating or not. The screen never gets uncomfortably hot to the touch.

They make gloves specific to touch screen functionality/compatibility.

OP
OP
D

dm12345

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I don’t know if it’s a UAQ thing but my Canadian UCQ does not run hot. I went for a 2 hour drive the other day with CarPlay on and screen did not feel hot after 2 hours

I didn’t realize there were different models for the USA & Canada, I guess the 2 from the wrecker are UCQ/UCS as I am in Canada & dealing with my parts from Canadian vehicles

OP
OP
D

dm12345

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I believe all 8.4s run hot. In fact, hotter than they should for a passively cooled system. I believe it is also the likely culprit for screen delamination and ghost touches on the 2018+ radios.

So I took apart the UAQ and found that there were a few issues: a piece of glass was sitting on the white cooling pad between the board and the pad & one white cooling pad is no longer sticky. Any idea what the cooling pads are called & if I can lay a piece over the whole inner board? Or are they just there to create space between the components ?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So I took apart the UAQ and found that there were a few issues: a piece of glass was sitting on the white cooling pad between the board and the pad & one white cooling pad is no longer sticky. Any idea what the cooling pads are called & if I can lay a piece over the whole inner board? Or are they just there to create space between the components ?
They are called thermal pads and they MUST be present to cool the components. Those pads are how heat transfers from the components to the outer shell heat sinks. Some say they are reusable but others recommend always replacing them. If you have touched them it's best to replace. The surfaces they adhere to should be cleaned prior to applying new thermal pads.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
what cleaning solvent would you use?
Isopropyl alcohol will do. 70% will work, 99% is better. Try to use a clean lint free cloth if available. It's also important to use thermal pads that are the correct thickness (I'm not sure what thickness they are from the factory)...

OP
OP
D

dm12345

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
The surfaces they adhere to should be cleaned prior to applying new thermal pads.

Just to be 100% sure, "The surfaces" would be the spots on the metal exterior that the radio comes in and not the radio circuit board itself, right? :)

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Just to be 100% sure, "The surfaces" would be the spots on the metal exterior that the radio comes in and not the radio circuit board itself, right? :)
Both. The pads transfer heat from the onboard processors to the heat sinks (which in this case is the outer case).

If both the pads and case haven't been touched, technically you can leave them in place and seal it up again. But if dirt, debris, oils (or anything really) is visible on them after opening you should replace them.

The process is similar to the process for replacing thermal paste on CPUs.

OP
OP
D

dm12345

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
If both the pads and case haven't been touched, technically you can leave them in place and seal it up again. But if dirt, debris, oils (or anything really) is visible on them after opening you should replace them.

Thanks for all the info! one more question for you: I'm having a terrible time finding 50MM wide thermal pads, but no problem finding 20MM. think I can lay 3 strips down side by side to make 50 MM (cutting the last one in half).

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thanks for all the info! one more question for you: I'm having a terrible time finding 50MM wide thermal pads, but no problem finding 20MM. think I can lay 3 strips down side by side to make 50 MM (cutting the last one in half).
You should be able to get the right size. Search "Thermal Pad" on Amazon, lots of 100mm X 100mm X (choose thickness) options.