2016 Rotten Oil Pan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bassin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2016 Ram 1500 5.7. The oil pan is rotting out. OE part 4893207AC. Can't find part anywhere and most say discontinued. My question. Is there a replacement OE#. Dealer states out of stock and on back order.

aszumilo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

moist_oyster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I'm sure you can find one on rock auto

OP
OP
B

Bassin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
None at rock auto. No match for OE 4893207AC. One listed is for 2021 and newer. I have 2016. Dorman negative as well. Dealer sites discontinued part. FFS how can they not support a vehicle with parts. It ain't 20 years old. I have looked everywhere on the internet. My own dealer states have none they are on back order. We all know what that means.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
None at rock auto. No match for OE 4893207 AC. One listed is for 2021 and newer. I have 2016. Dorman negative as well. Dealer sites discontinued part. FFS how can they not support a vehicle with parts. It ain't 20 years old. I have looked everywhere on the internet. My own dealer states have none they are on back order. We all know what that means.

Try searching for the part number using AA or AB at the end instead of
the AC suffix. The part you are looking for appears to be available at most of the big name auto parts stores throughout North America. The AC at the end of the part number signifies the current model of the pan but it’s the same pan as those ending with AA or AB. AC is the third version of the pan and it could mean an improvement was made to the pan from the earlier AA or AB models or Ram simply changed suppliers. Doesn’t mean the AA or AB pans are inferior or won’t fit only that they are older versions. Aftermarket suppliers like Dorman aren’t diligent on updating cross fitment to the most current OEM part numbers.

OP
OP
B

Bassin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have seen the AA and AB versions. Is there a way to confirm they are interchangeable with AC? Also thanks for the information.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Or used (ebay)

Here's a JB Weld story for you guys: I bought a Jeep Cherokee with a snow plow on it in 2009 for $500. The seller told me it needed a new oil pan (and some other things) he didn't want to deal with. The leak is on the side near the bottom. Took several quarts to get it home. Got it home, drained the oil and let it sit a week for the oil to drain down. My intention was to change the oil pan but work & kids got in the way. I ended up hitting the leak area with a grinder to grind away the rust. Then I hosed the area clean with carb cleaner. Took some of that epoxy putty and applied a thin flat patch over the leak area b/c it cures quick ..to stop the immediate bleeding.

Once that cured hard, I applied a coat of JB Weld over it, about 1.5" in diameter. Once it cured for a couple days, I smeared grease over the entire patch area to keep it from rusting from the edges in. And every couple years I smear a bit of grease on it. That was 15 years ago - no leaks!!

But I don't expect you to do that on your Ram.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Or used (ebay)

Here's a JB Weld story for you guys: I bought a Jeep Cherokee with a snow plow on it in 2009 for $500. The seller told me it needed a new oil pan (and some other things) he didn't want to deal with. The leak is on the side near the bottom. Took several quarts to get it home. Got it home, drained the oil and let it sit a week for the oil to drain down. My intention was to change the oil pan but work & kids got in the way. I ended up hitting the leak area with a grinder to grind away the rust. Then I hosed the area clean with carb cleaner. Took some of that epoxy putty and applied a thin flat patch over the leak area b/c it cures quick ..to stop the immediate bleeding.

Once that cured hard, I applied a coat of JB Weld over it, about 1.5" in diameter. Once it cured for a couple days, I smeared grease over the entire patch area to keep it from rusting from the edges in. And every couple years I smear a bit of grease on it. That was 15 years ago - no leaks!!

But I don't expect you to do that on your Ram.
As I was reading I was thinking of something like this.... even if just temporary until you can get the part. It's just metal. There's got to be some "goo" you can throw on it to get by? (Obviously) I'm no mechanic so maybe there are reasons to avoid this.... contaminating the oil?

Reminds me of a problem I had in my house years ago. The ABS piping under the kids' tub/shower cracked and leaked. The access to the pipe was absolutely terrible and replacing the fitting would have meant sawing out most of a floor joist and I really didn't want to do that. I could barely fit my hand up to the pipe so I got big jar of ABS cement and just coated it a couple times a day for a few weeks. By the end there was a swollen lump of cement around the crack. I left the small hole in the ceiling down for a couple years and finally repaired it after finding no leaks. 15+ years later and 3 kids showering daily in that tub and no leaks!! I guess sometimes it pays to be a hack! :) :)

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have seen the AA and AB versions. Is there a way to confirm they are interchangeable with AC? Also thanks for the information.

It has been my experience that as far as parts go 4893207 is the part model number and AC is the series number of the part. The first part available is 4893207AA the next version of that part is 4893207AB. The next version is 4893207AC. For whatever reason the automotive manufacturer changed the part, including having the part produced by a different company the suffix at the end changes to reflect that change. The next version of the oil pan will be 4893207AD and the one after that will be 4893207AE and so on.

As far as the pan you are looking for all the big auto parts retailers like Autozone, Advance, NAPA and O’Rileys show availability of an oil pan for a Ram 1500 with a 5.7L V8. It appears the two wheel drive and four wheel drive trucks use the same part. If you google part 4893207AC, Summit racing takes you to the aftermarket Dorman and Spectra pans. RockAuto shows the same as Summit and they even have the 4893207AB OEM pan but it’s considerably more. This information concurs with Autozone, Advance, NAPA and O’Riley. While I can’t guarantee the pan without the AC suffix will fit your vehicle it is almost impossible to believe that there is one special pan for a 5.7L Ram that is different from all the other 5.7L pans sold from 2013 through 2018 and beyond for the 4th generation trucks.

Have you gone into an actual dealer parts department and asked about the pan? You can also reach out to Benny on this forum, he is a Mopar parts vendor at an actual Ram dealership that can better answer this question. Benny can be found in the vendor section under Allmoparparts.com or

Last edited:

aszumilo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
None at rock auto. No match for OE 4893207AC. One listed is for 2021 and newer. I have 2016. Dorman negative as well. Dealer sites discontinued part. FFS how can they not support a vehicle with parts. It ain't 20 years old. I have looked everywhere on the internet. My own dealer states have none they are on back order. We all know what that means.

Dorman pan on E-Bay

Last edited:

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
2016 Ram 1500 5.7. The oil pan is rotting out. OE part 4893207AC. Can't find part anywhere and most say discontinued. My question. Is there a replacement OE#. Dealer states out of stock and on back order.
where in Ca, I am in Sk, I just phoned local dealer, but the parts guys are busy so will call me back ,I just asked about a pan, its 4wd? I presume?

PS, Just got call back, Factory is back ordered, But Bumper to Bumper / NAPA has Dorman in stock in warehouse in Calgary, 2 day delivery. She could have given me the #, but I was out in the yard with no pen.

Last edited:

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have lived in Canada all my life and have never seen an oil pan rust to the point it leaks.

Do you park your truck in the ocean?:laughing1:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have lived in Canada all my life and have never seen an oil pan rust to the point it leaks.

Do you park your truck in the ocean?:laughing1:
It's not that uncommon ,back in my wrench twisting days we used to replace quite a few rotted out oilpans on every make,wasn't just one manufacture'r that had oil pan issues in Canada ;)