2017 Trailer Gain showing up without trailer connected

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2DirtyKids

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 upgraded from 2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
My brother installed a aftermarket brake controller in his 2017 Laramie and I enabled it with AlphaODB. The display is working on the dash and shows the active use of the trailer controller, but also says trailer not connected even when it is. But the controller is working as expected. The message trailer not connected is not a big deal because it shows the necassary information. But now when he has his Speedometer as the default display, each time he steps on the brakes without the trailer connected it pops up the gain message.

Any ideas?

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My brother installed a aftermarket brake controller in his 2017 Laramie and I enabled it with AlphaODB. The display is working on the dash and shows the active use of the trailer controller, but also says trailer not connected even when it is. But the controller is working as expected. The message trailer not connected is not a big deal because it shows the necassary information. But now when he has his Speedometer as the default display, each time he steps on the brakes without the trailer connected it pops up the gain message.

Any ideas?
The key word in your question is "aftermarket". They have been known to act kinda odd in the Rams.

Majority of us that have installed the brake controllers have used OEM. Or an aftermarket, only to find it wonkey and then go to OEM and have it work perfectly after that..