2018 Ram 2500 6.4 hemi slt weird rattling noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lb29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just bought a 2018 ram 2500 heavy duty 6.4 liter, and I have been hearing, a loud rattling noise. (On passenger side middle underneath truck) It only makes this noise, when I’m accelerating slowly but goes away once it shifts.Only while driving. I’ve checked the heat shield and exhaust hangers and everything solid. Not sure what’s causing it. Any ideas? The noise is like a popping cracking sound, then it vibrates the whole underneath of the truck. Once it shifts, and I accelerate more it goes away.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Lb29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No u joints are good, it’s not a bearing or joint noise it’s something I haven’t ever heard before. It almost sounds like it’s backfiring then rattles really loud and vibrates really bad but I know it not backfiring

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
If its the exhaust you should be able to simulate noise/vibration with the throttle while in park.
If it only makes noise/vibration while moving its mechanical.

OP
OP
L

Lb29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’d say it’s mechanical it only does it from 25 mph to 36 then when it shifts it goes away but it sounds like the trucks gonna blow up underneath

OP
OP
L

Lb29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve noticed, when I left work it barely wanted to move. Then lunged a bit and then I heard the noise again I think it’s the transmission or torque converter

OP
OP
L

Lb29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have notice it’s been shifting oddly, and surges while driving as well

OP
OP
L

Lb29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
After doing more research, I found out that the filter I bought from a parts store is known to come apart and allow air to get in. Which will cause the fluid pressure to drop and cause issues with the transmission. So I am getting a different filter for it tomorrow and hopefully solve some of the issue

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
After doing more research, I found out that the filter I bought from a parts store is known to come apart and allow air to get in. Which will cause the fluid pressure to drop and cause issues with the transmission. So I am getting a different filter for it tomorrow and hopefully solve some of the issue
Any info on the junk filter, so others can know also?

OP
OP
L

Lb29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Carquest brand filter. I changed it out and refilled and it’s still having the noise and shifts like crap so I’d say it’s gonna need a transmission. Plus I did find metal shavings in the pan on it

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Was it metallic 'dust'...or legitimate shavings? Could it have been from said crappy filter??

Is there a lot of miles...or towing (hard) miles? You might be in for a tranny, but might not hurt to have two tranny shops look at it. It could be:

1) Shift solenoid HERE. I once had to replace shift solenoids in an older 545RFE that fixed things. That was like 10 yrs ago and been running great since. Wasn't an uncommon thing on the older RFE tranny's. I had the dealer do it.
2) Shudder...which can sometimes be mitigated with a few glugs or a tube of anti-shudder additive, which you could probably get at NAPA.
3) Some other engine issue causing the trans to 'feel' like it's surging.
4) Some fluids I've had in the past didn't like the tranny, and after changing to a different fluid, the issues went away in about 50 miles. It's a long shot, but never know...

Weather it's worth to invest in diagnosis, gets to be a matter of how much to spend, or just do the whole thing.. ?? Best of luck. Let us know what you find out.

OP
OP
L

Lb29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well it had metallic dust, and a few small pieces of metal in the pan. And not sure of how many miles that’s on the transmission I know it’s not the original transmission in it. You can tell it was changed at some point no identification plate or anything on it besides it’s been painted and I’d say it was a remand transmission or a junk yard transmission in it. And I’ve put Lucas transmission fix in it and tried lube guard in it and neither seemed to have made a difference in it. I can’t afford to take it to a shop, I have to wait 30 days for the warranty to kick in I’ve only had the truck since January and still making payments on it so definitely can’t afford a diagnostic fee or labor fee out of my pocket

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you can find a decent 'used' one...that might be the other option. Maybe now, start scanning Marketplace and call a few salvage yards. When time is on a guy's side, you can wait out till you find a good deal. Then snap a good used one.

OP
OP
L

Lb29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The prices of used transmissions are outrageous and you don’t know if they are good or not these days in my experience I’ve changed a few transmissions on other trucks before and with used ones and they never seem to work I’ve never had luck with buying a used one and install it and it not have issues. And I live pay check, to pay check, I don’t have a several thousand dollars laying around anywhere , to buy a used one right now. Not with the payments and insurance on the truck I’m lucky to get gas to go back to work and make it last until I get paid again.

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's why I say,, start looking. Maybe you'll find one reasonable??

Or will your (OP's) warranty cover the tranny? Obviously that would be the most ideal.

OP
OP
L

Lb29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The warranty is supposed to, but I have to wait 30 days, before I can use the warranty because the warranty has a 30 day period to see if it has preexisting issues and then they won’t cover it. Which I have a feeling they are not gonna cover it when it comes time to file the claim and I’m gonna be screwed and I don’t have another vehicle to drive if it does go out

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hmmm tough break. Sorry to hear about the circumstance. Keep working the ins company...try to appeal to someone who has a heart. Did you buy it at a dealership? Maybe go back to them and see what you (they) can do.

Still, might not hurt to begin looking for a used tranny now. See if a good deal is out there. If it only lasts 2-3 yrs, that might be enough time for you to get back on your feet. Personally, I've had excellent luck buying used engines and transmissions. But it's risk. Another option might be to see if there are any tranny shops in your area which finance on a new unit. As much as you probably don't want to finance, can't hurt to make a few calls just to see what your options are. Then pick the one that works best for ya.

OP
OP
L

Lb29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought it from a dealership but they won’t help with anything. They didn’t even do an oil change or anything on it like they said they did or even have it detailed when I was in the process of getting it. But they put on the paperwork they did a full service on it , which was not done I had to do the oil change and detail it myself. They wouldn’t even offer a warranty on it besides the 30 day warranty on it and when I had the first issue with the heat not working they wouldn’t do anything about it and it was Under there 30 day warranty. But as far as trying to find a shop that would finance a unit doesn’t look like an option I’m already in debt with this truck so no one would consider letting me finance a transmission or anything at this point. I mean I’m ahead 2 months on payments but there’s no more wiggle room with finances to do anything besides keep the payments and insurance on it at this point I’ve been looking at different options but at this point I’m pretty much dead in the water

Last edited: