2018 Ram powerwagon axle lockers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

victorj925

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2018 ram 2500 powerwagon ,
Been running into an issue with what i am assuming is the axle lockers i first noticed the start of the issue when i would drive the truck and “4wd shift in progress” will sporadically/ Randomly appear on my gauge cluster soon after that i noticed that i could not get the truck to lock the front or rear axles or both. I had done some research and found someone with a similar problem and replaced the switch on the transfer case
(part # 68211454AA) and this is for the manual shift transfer case. Mine is a
BW 44-47. If this does not reslove the problem my next step was to replace the front axle actuator but still not sure if the will fix the axle locker issue or the “ 4wd shift in progress “ message. If anyone has had a similar problem or has any advice it would be greatly appreciated
Thank you IMG_6702.jpeg

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I would occasionally see that message on my 2017. Usually shifting into then out of 4Hi would get rid of that issue, in fact it only did it a few times after about a year of ownership, then I never saw it unless I was actually shifting into 4wd.

However it sounds like this isn't necessarily the case for you. I'd suggest checking the wiring harness itself, looking for abraded/broken wires, pulled connectors, etc. to see if you've got a short somewhere.

Pudge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to bounce you around, but there is a power wagon forum under the specialty vehicles. Once there, you can search just that forum using “Shift in Progress” and you will get a lot of threads on this issue. I just did the search and it’s got some good info, and You might find what you are looking for.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had that light flickering on and off occasionally in my power wagon. Replacing the tcase positioning sensor fixed it.

As far as the axles not locking, are you engaging them properly? They are very finicky and can be very difficult to get to lock up, even when everything is working properly.