2019 5.7 very rough idling and other oddities

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

southerncross

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I picked up some redline S1 and added it to the tank. This morning while I was at church a mechanic friend of mine came by to check it over and he's convinced there's an exhaust leak on bank two which I think is the passenger side which is also the same bank that cylinders four and six are on. Just curious if that could be causing the problems I've been experiencing. His experience is building race car engines but I would assume the principles are the same regardless.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I picked up some redline S1 and added it to the tank. This morning while I was at church a mechanic friend of mine came by to check it over and he's convinced there's an exhaust leak on bank two which I think is the passenger side which is also the same bank that cylinders four and six are on. Just curious if that could be causing the problems I've been experiencing. His experience is building race car engines but I would assume the principles are the same regardless.
Those upstream (of the oxygen sensors) exhaust leaks definitely cause fuel control issues. A misfire isn't high on the likeliness scale, but as Forrest Gump said "Sheet happens"!

All of us on this or any other forum or discussion group are at a huge disadvantage in that we do not have the truck in front of us, and we do not have eyes on diagnostic results from equipment.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Those upstream (of the oxygen sensors) exhaust leaks definitely cause fuel control issues. A misfire isn't high on the likeliness scale, but as Forrest Gump said "Sheet happens"!

All of us on this or any other forum or discussion group are at a huge disadvantage in that we do not have the truck in front of us, and we do not have eyes on diagnostic results from equipment.
Sherman is spot on. Until you actually invest the time and effort to go through a proper documented diagnostic process, this is a total waste of time and at best wild guess time. Happy to try to help, but you got to do your part.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sherman is spot on. Until you actually invest the time and effort to go through a proper documented diagnostic process, this is a total waste of time and at best wild guess time. Happy to try to help, but you got to do your part.
I'm just down the road from him. at the border of Cypress/ Houston. I could help out if he'd reach out!

OP
OP
S

southerncross

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
By the way. I have a blue driver scan tool but it seems pretty basic. What would y'all recommend as a better unit?

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bad ground. Check the crimps in the negative cable. Most are not soldiered anymore . You can spray electro cleaner on crimped ends & wiggle the cable. Then crimp it again with crimp tool or vise grips. Pulsing lights is usually a ground issue. Dim is bad connection . Normal bright is good connection . Just cause the crimp looks good don’t mean it is.