2019 Laramie 1500 tailgate problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean McGillicuddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello all
The tail gate on my 2019 ram has this crappy electronic latches and some type of slow lowering thing.
I finally have the latching under control , but when i hit the latch the tail gate open 3 to 4 inches , and that is it . It has to be push down with some force .
To close I have to work thru this resistance thing until I am back to the area were it opened . I can then close the tail gate.
I have sprayed WD-40 in every cocievable area with no fix..
And help/thoughts

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Found this pic if OEM
shopping.jpg

Found on other site, can't paste link but here is what was fix for their similar issue:

So the problem ended up being that the driver side tailgate hinge was seized/ frozen and would not move.

I ended up breaking the rubber bushing/ pad that inserts into the tailgate from the hinge so I had to replace the entire part. PART # Tailgate Hinge, Left - Mopar (68312519AD).

When I took off mine, it I couldnt move it at all, while the new hinge easily moved. Swapped in the new part and problem solved. Bummer that this seized/ froze after 3 years.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sean McGillicuddy

Sean McGillicuddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hmm is that shock freezing up on me..
What if I sprayed some WD-40 on the shaft of the shock ?

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
If it's a shock issue you'll probably have to replace it. Can you disconnect shock and then test without it? Would tell you real quick if a hinge issue or not if shock isn't in the mix.

OP
OP
Sean McGillicuddy

Sean McGillicuddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If I do remove it , how should the shock work ?
Will any shock work, like from Auto Zone etc ?

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
I looked at that video link you shared. Good find btw. Did you see the part where he disconnected the top connector on the shock, then moves it up and down while pointing camera down into tail light hole? He showed the linkage working up and down correctly when he moved the shock up and down with his hand.

I'd try that. If linkage is moving like he shows, then I'd swap out shock. If linkage not moving like he shows then swap out the hinge assembly.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
I did find this
Nice! Verify your P/N for your year/make/model just to verify. I took a quick look at that P/N on video looks to support 2019 and up 1500

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
You might be in the same boat as my setup on my 2500, dampener is aftermarket and goes in like first link I shared. My 2016 came like that when I bought it new to me.