2019 Ram 1500 stolen, now no display

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Iaherper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2019 Bighorn was stolen, I did the Uconnect Gardian thing. They came back after the truck was found and told it was unable to be located, ok , whatever. The only thing damaged on the truck was the positive battery cable broken where it meets the post. Had a dearer take a look and they said there was enough left on the cable , they drilled a new hole and hooked it back up. Everything works on the truck except my display. No blue screen , nothing. They then said that if I replaced the battery cable/ engine harness that it would all work. I have a hard time believing that the engine harness ( quoted at $1000 and a 2 week wait, mind you) will fix the display. Every other person , including a friend that is a service tech at dodge agrees. Are we all crazy? Could it just be disabled by Uconnect?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
So, just what is not working, the EVIC or the Radio

Are you paying the bill out of pocket, or is Insurance paying for the work

OP
OP
I

Iaherper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just the radio display and the compass on the dash is blank.

OP
OP
I

Iaherper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nope we have checked everyfuse and connection. My main concern is that they won’t even consider looking at the radio problem until they replace the entire battery cable and engine harness. Which will take two weeks to get here. I mean seriously the only problem was they bent the end of the cable off, all that needed replaced was the loop on the end!why would they even think that the engine harness would the problem, when the only problem is my touchscreen?

OP
OP
I

Iaherper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
that’s the general consensus I’m getting!

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree, try a different dealer. Did they even pull the radio to check and make sure the wiring was intact? The thief could have got into the radio wiring hoping to access the vehicle without having the key.

OP
OP
I

Iaherper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The cops had the radio pulled out to get my “black box?”, so they did put it back in. And I have since checked every fuse and every connection. I even tested the clip that plugs into the display and I am showing power there.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
So you were informed that the Police wanted to look at the Black Box to see what happened in the last 5 to 30 seconds of driving ?
Black Box = Event Data Recorder & it is almost always GREY in a automobile ..
They did not do that !!

What they did was to pull your radio to access the Ram's Uconnect Data
Uconnect tracks lots of data, and even send you a "health report" each month via email on your truck, such as tire pressure and other vitals, they do track the truck, as this is one of the UConnect services stated for theft monitoring and finding your car if you forget where you park it.

The thieves had cut the battery cable, so that Ram Headquarters/Uconnect could NOT track it.
The thieves cut it when they were finished using it, for whatever reason, like for racing, robbery or worse

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

Iaherper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree! But now I’m not sure what to do next!…lol

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
So you were informed that the Police wanted to look at the Black Box to see what happened in the last 5 to 30 seconds of driving ?
Black Box = Event Data Recorder & it is almost always GREY in a automobile ..
They did not do that !!

What they did was to pull your radio to access the Ram's Uconnect Data
Uconnect tracks lots of data, and even send you a "health report" each month via email on your truck, such as tire pressure and other vitals, they do track the truck, as this is one of the UConnect services stated for theft monitoring and finding your car if you forget where you park it.

The thieves had cut the battery cable, so that Ram Headquarters/Uconnect could NOT track it.
The thieves cut it when they were finished using it, for whatever reason, like for racing, robbery or worse
But they couldn't have cut it prior to parking it bc the truck wouldn't run. So they drove it/used it and then dumped it and cut the cable. This means the Uconnect data recorded everything they did with the truck since it was prior to the battery cable cutting. To me that sounds backwards. normally you would want to disable all tracking devices prior to using it. Once the truck is dumped who cares if its found just saying...

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
replacing the harness sounds like a shot in the dark. Unless they know to cut a certain batch of wires to disable the Uconnect. Which maybe they are aware of and replacing the harness is easier than trying to track down the cut wires.

OP
OP
I

Iaherper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's kind of my issue....they inspected the wiring and the only damage was the positive battery terminal. All I don't have is my display, so why waste time doing an engine harness?!?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Maybe you could pull the radio out of the dash.
Then you could check for Bent Pins in the radios harness

If the police or a radio shop under contract, did pull the radio, they may have bent the pins.
They may not have been too careful about reassembly,
after all, its not theirs

Last edited:

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Have you tried to check at the radio for power and grounds?
You will have to know what pins are what
Has a good scanner been used ?
This should all be a insurance problem to fix.
Looks like you have power you said

Maybe the head unit is the problem after been yanked out