2019 Rebel Transmission/electrical issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pamoky5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to see if there is anyone here that has possibly run into this issue or a similar one.

I have had my Rebel for 6 months now and have 8100 miles on it. Two weeks ago, I was driving it on the highway and when I hit the exit ramp it started to hesitate and the battery light came on for a few seconds then everything cleared and it ran normally for the rest of the day. It was a really cold day, in the 20's so I shrugged it off to that. However, this past Saturday (temps in the 40's), my wife took it out locally in town and she called me saying the truck hesitated to the point of a stall, the engine was revving and it wouldn't go anywhere when she pushed the gas down. She pulled into a parking lot, shut it off let it sit for a couple of minutes, started it back up and it cleared with no other issues on the way back to the house.

We made an appointment with the dealer that we bought it from today and I just got back from picking it up. The service manager said they ran a series of diagnostics with no results, I had a bad feeling that they would come back with a CND and they did. The one thing that "concerned" me is when the service manager said that he suspects that the "insurance thing" that I have plugged into the computer most likely caused the issue confusing the truck's computer and that I should remove it. I asked the service manager, "What Insurance thing, what are you talking about, I don't have an insurance thing plugged into my truck". He repeated himself and I interrupted him and asked him, "Do you mean the plug for my AMP powered running boards?"... Awkward pause and he said yeah, that plug. I told him that those were installed within the first 500 miles that were put on the truck and this is the first time the truck has acted up. He said it's weird, but he doesn't know why it did what it did.

So my first issue is that I'm sure one of the technicians tried to see if it would pull any codes but didn't so I get a CND. My second issue is that the dealer has a service manager that didn't recognize that there was a wire coming out of the "insurance thing" and that the running boards magically extended and retracted. This gives me serious concerns about their service department as a whole.

Seriously though, I thought that I would come to this forum to see if anyone else has had an issue similar to this and what (if any) was the repair. Also, has anyone had any issues with their AMP power steps that created an issue with the computer?

I would appreciate any input!

icecoldak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All I can say is next time it does it, drive it right to the dealership, do not cut off or reset anything, let them see the failure as you drive in!

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
How exactly are your aftermarket step sides powered/wired? ANY aftermarket electronic items not installed by myself scare me.

Given pretty much everything electric runs through the TIPM on our trucks (and most all FCA vehicles), if any item isn't pulling it's spec'd amps, the TIPM will do very odd things like cutting out power to everything on that circuit.

Your running boards may have nothing to do with this, just tossing some ideas out there.

If it does act up, I'd undo the aftermarket electronics and see how it goes.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
The guys in the average garage only know how to hook up a diagnostic tool and read the codes. Few have a clue about diagnosing problems. Independent garage mechanics tend to be much better than the ones I have dealt with at the dealers.

As there is a battery error message then the problem is most likely in the wiring from the battery to the coil and ignition components. I would jiggle wires while the engine is running to see if you can create the same symptoms. It could also be the connection for the crank position sensor though I have not heard of that causing a battery indicator to light but then each vehicle computer is programed differently and changes year to year for the same models.

I would also see if there are any relevant technical service bulletins involving the ignition system for the truck.

OP
OP
P

pamoky5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks, the techs did say they did a thorough (RAM) database search for any similar related issues and did not find anything.

I was also going to search out a local AMP dealer to check the wiring install on the power steps in the chance that it is the issue.

OtterOS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have something like that “insurance” thing (lol that cracks me up) and it did randomly seem like it had an odd impact on my truck.

I can’t prove it however my remote start was working fine for weeks and randomly stopped, I didn’t worry too much but this went on for days. I eventually unplugged the device and later that evening my remote start worked again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to see if there is anyone here that has possibly run into this issue or a similar one.

I have had my Rebel for 6 months now and have 8100 miles on it. Two weeks ago, I was driving it on the highway and when I hit the exit ramp it started to hesitate and the battery light came on for a few seconds then everything cleared and it ran normally for the rest of the day. It was a really cold day, in the 20's so I shrugged it off to that. However, this past Saturday (temps in the 40's), my wife took it out locally in town and she called me saying the truck hesitated to the point of a stall, the engine was revving and it wouldn't go anywhere when she pushed the gas down. She pulled into a parking lot, shut it off let it sit for a couple of minutes, started it back up and it cleared with no other issues on the way back to the house.

We made an appointment with the dealer that we bought it from today and I just got back from picking it up. The service manager said they ran a series of diagnostics with no results, I had a bad feeling that they would come back with a CND and they did. The one thing that "concerned" me is when the service manager said that he suspects that the "insurance thing" that I have plugged into the computer most likely caused the issue confusing the truck's computer and that I should remove it. I asked the service manager, "What Insurance thing, what are you talking about, I don't have an insurance thing plugged into my truck". He repeated himself and I interrupted him and asked him, "Do you mean the plug for my AMP powered running boards?"... Awkward pause and he said yeah, that plug. I told him that those were installed within the first 500 miles that were put on the truck and this is the first time the truck has acted up. He said it's weird, but he doesn't know why it did what it did.

So my first issue is that I'm sure one of the technicians tried to see if it would pull any codes but didn't so I get a CND. My second issue is that the dealer has a service manager that didn't recognize that there was a wire coming out of the "insurance thing" and that the running boards magically extended and retracted. This gives me serious concerns about their service department as a whole.

Seriously though, I thought that I would come to this forum to see if anyone else has had an issue similar to this and what (if any) was the repair. Also, has anyone had any issues with their AMP power steps that created an issue with the computer?

I would appreciate any input!
Hi pamoky5, I do apologize for the trouble you are experiencing with your RAM. lease know that our team would be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance if you do end up connecting with your dealer again. Feel free to follow up with us via private message if this would be of interest.
Rob
RamCares

GREGORY BRIGGS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecotorq 5.7
I own a 2019 ram 1500 longhorn with ecotorq hemi and my transmision like to go into manual mode all own its own has being doing this since less than 5000 miles. Two dealerships have tried to get it to act up to no avail, been at current dealer for 3 1/2 weeks can't get it to act up. FCA can't do anything unless it acts up I have over 100 pictures of this issue. What do we need to do to fix it. No I'm not contacting the manual shift paddles I drive for rideshare and my hands are no where near paddles. Please help

IMG_1978 (4).JPG

IMG_2008 (1).JPG

IMG_2012 (1).JPG

IMG_2018.JPG

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pakvalet01