2020 ram 1500 Hemi 5.7 8 speed transmission Service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi2020

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello all, I’m new to forums so be nice. I have a 2020 Ram 1500 Hemi 5.7 with an 8 speed transmission. The current mileage is 61,000.
I have a warranty until 110,000 miles on the power tran. I have been hammered since my 30k service to service/flush the trans. A trans flush is never to be done from what I have heard.
I asked 2 other techs with another dealer about the trans service. First guy said we can do a service which involved a pan/filter replacement and fluid refill or a trans flush meaning no Pan/filter replacement.
The second guy said that he had been told from the techs on the floor that you never do a flush on a trans and don’t even think about the trans until 90-100K. Then he said read your manual in your glove box and if it doesn’t say to do it, don’t.

My manual does not say anything about trans service all the way through 230k. There is a section in the manual that says,

Fluid And Filter Changes
Under normal operating conditions, the fluid installed at the factory will provide satisfactory lubrication for the life of the vehicle.
Routine fluid and filter change are not required.

My question is, what do I do. I don’t tow or off road. I drive freeway back and forth freeway 50 miles a day.

Thanks for the response. This is my first new vehicle and want to take care of it.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Some do it at 60k some do it at 100k its up to you however dont go much past 100k it does need to be done. You will want the pan/filter replaced aswell they say lifetime fluid so your trans fails and you buy another truck and or transmission its just the way it works now all brands.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You missed the fun part, ask them what they charge. The larger problem is how much do you trust them? Because it isn't like you can easily check the fluid, watch this video and find part two, and that is only to check the fluid level, yeah it's like that. Either do it yourself, or punt it. Make sure you do all of the temperature deletes, get the operating temp of that trans down, will make the fluid last longer.

OP
OP
H

Hemi2020

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So is flushing the transmission a good idea without changing the filter? Sounds like to me it would just move all the bad stuff in the pan to the entire system.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So is flushing the transmission a good idea without changing the filter? Sounds like to me it would just move all the bad stuff in the pan to the entire system.
did someone say that? See what you have to do if you DYI to change everything and CHECK THE LEVEL. If you pay a dealer and you want to check the level, you need to follow that two video process just to verify the level. Trust the dealer or whoever does the flush and the level is low, you sa-crewed the pooch with very little way to prove anything. So even if someone else does it, I'd check the level if I WERE YOU. good luck, ignorance is bliss, once you see how many items like this is in your equipment, you might like the truck a little less.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

The 8 speed transmission is either a design of the German company ZF licensed to be built by Chrysler or it is built by ZF. Either one is the same as the other just built in different factories but require the same parts and maintenance. Ram states that the fluid is lifetime but as another poster pointed out it’s the life of the warranty where the manufacturer is on the hook for repairs or replacement. The company ZF recommends 60k mile fluid and filter changes.

A “flush” is typically a fluid exchange process preformed using a pressurized machine. While it’s true that a flush does exchange more of the old fluid for new it’s also done under pressure. The pressure can cause damage to the seals and valve bodies inside the transmission. It’s a safer route to go with an old fashioned pan drop and fluid drain. On the 8 speed transmission the filter is built into the pan and can’t be changed without a new pan replacement. Of course this adds to the cost along with the factory fluid being pricey too.

So a fluid/pan/filter replacement is the safest and most recommended option but keep in mind it’s not cheap to have a shop or dealer do the work and provide the parts. The company that designed and built the transmission recommends 60k mile fluid change regardless of what Ram claims. If you are mechanically inclined it is far cheaper to do the work yourself. Although it’s not a particularly difficult task it does take proper setup, patience and time.

OP
OP
H

Hemi2020

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you atcer2018 for the explanation to my question. While doing it myself with the video provided by burla, I’m not so inclined. Because I’m not so inclined is why I asked the question. Being told I sa-crewed the pouch because I do a lot of research on a vehicle that is the first new vehicle I have ever owned, is not appreciated. I do not have the means to do what the video shows.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Dont shoot the messenger because you don't like the message, my guess is you didn't even read what I said, lol. good luck kid

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thank you atcer2018 for the explanation to my question. While doing it myself with the video provided by burla, I’m not so inclined. Because I’m not so inclined is why I asked the question. Being told I sa-crewed the pouch because I do a lot of research on a vehicle that is the first new vehicle I have ever owned, is not appreciated. I do not have the means to do what the video shows.
The video leaves a bit to be desired,as he doesn't level the transmission.Here's the factory instructions that come with a "brand new" 8 speed. The most important part is levelling the transmissions pan rail,and not the truck.You need the back tires roughly 8/9" in the air to level the transmission.The colder you can do the procedure the better,as ZF says the ideal temp is closer to 100/105,the 122 is the "max" temp,not the ideal temp

Attachments

• IMG_3383 (2).JPG
    IMG_3383 (2).JPG
    272.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Asking questions is what this forum is here for. It’s good that you are interested in proper maintenance and caring for your truck. That said I didn’t personally take any of the replies as being derogatory towards you. Burla was stating that if you trust a shop to do the maintenance and it’s done incorrectly you’re screwed because it would be difficult to prove and recover any loss you may have.

The old adage about having something done right and doing it yourself holds true as no one is going to take care of your equipment like you would. Unfortunately if you do not have the proper tools or ability to do your own repair then you are at the mercy and ability of the shop you entrust with said repair. If it were my vehicle and I did not have the means to do the fluid change I would use a Ram dealer as you would have less of an issue with a future warranty claim. I have no experience with a dealer 8 speed transmission service but I have read comments that it is expensive. You may have to bite the bullet on this service if you are going for long term ownership.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello all, I’m new to forums so be nice. I have a 2020 Ram 1500 Hemi 5.7 with an 8 speed transmission. The current mileage is 61,000.
I have a warranty until 110,000 miles on the power tran. I have been hammered since my 30k service to service/flush the trans. A trans flush is never to be done from what I have heard.
I asked 2 other techs with another dealer about the trans service. First guy said we can do a service which involved a pan/filter replacement and fluid refill or a trans flush meaning no Pan/filter replacement.
The second guy said that he had been told from the techs on the floor that you never do a flush on a trans and don’t even think about the trans until 90-100K. Then he said read your manual in your glove box and if it doesn’t say to do it, don’t.

My manual does not say anything about trans service all the way through 230k. There is a section in the manual that says,

Fluid And Filter Changes
Under normal operating conditions, the fluid installed at the factory will provide satisfactory lubrication for the life of the vehicle.

My question is, what do I do. I don’t tow or off road. I drive freeway back and forth freeway 50 miles a day.

Thanks for the response. This is my first new vehicle and want to take care of it.
Chrysler says never do it. ZF who makes it says do it.

ZF cares about the transmission lasting. Chrysler cares about the cost of ownership for the 4-6 years they actually expect you to own it, before you trade it into the scrap yard for actually listening to their maintenance plan.

(ZF makes the 8HP70, not sure if they make the 75, but I assume they do.)

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a warranty until 110,000 miles on the power train. I have been hammered since my 30k service to service/flush the trans. A trans flush is never to be done from what I have heard.

Fluid And Filter Changes

I am at 102K on my 2018 Rebel, and I can say there is a marked "drop off" of the trans performance at 100k. Up to the mid-90's, the 8HP70 was rock solid. Now at 102k+, it struggles to shift into first when cold from a stop sometimes which is terrifying me, as I don't want to have to do a tranny swap. So the PPE pan is coming, with a new gasket, and jacks/stands to lift the ass of the truck. Just trying to figure out which unicorn fluids I want to put in.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If you are considering a transmission flush because you don't want to replace the pan, I would just drain the fluid and refill vs considering a flush. The pans on these trucks have a drain plug so that would save a bit of work.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I am at 102K on my 2018 Rebel, and I can say there is a marked "drop off" of the trans performance at 100k. Up to the mid-90's, the 8HP70 was rock solid. Now at 102k+, it struggles to shift into first when cold from a stop sometimes which is terrifying me, as I don't want to have to do a tranny swap. So the PPE pan is coming, with a new gasket, and jacks/stands to lift the ass of the truck. Just trying to figure out which unicorn fluids I want to put in.
I think the best options are either OEM fluid of some brand that's not mopar ($$$) or MaxLife

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Many mechanics shops have a trans fluid exchange machine and I believe they work based on the pressure from your own transmission pump.

I have had several trans fluid exchanges done with no issues. It does get most of the fluid exchanged. IMO most trans filters are just rock catchers so they are not a priority for changing to me. It is nice to drop the pan and clean it and clean off the magnet so at that point I would change the filter or in my Rams case the whole pan and filter combo but I am thinking my first service will be a trans fluid exchange only.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you are considering a transmission flush because you don't want to replace the pan, I would just drain the fluid and refill vs considering a flush. The pans on these trucks have a drain plug so that would save a bit of work.
Drain hole is directly above the exhaust pipe, so it's a PITA to remove, makes a mess, and leaves the original filter still in use... Flush would be great, for a lower mile truck, but you still need to replace the filter, and you can only do that by dropping the pan.

JF19Longhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETorque
I swapped mine out for the PPE pan and replaceable filter at 70k. Fluid looked used, but it wasn't bad. Maybe 5% or so of those miles are towing 5-8k lbs.

Swap was a bit messy, but pretty straight forward following acouple of the threads on this site and a YouTube video or two. Hardest parts were getting the old pan out and getting the final top off completed correctly. I had a Amazon hand pump that helped ALOT, but took forever.. in hindsight I should have bought a powered pump.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Drain hole is directly above the exhaust pipe, so it's a PITA to remove, makes a mess, and leaves the original filter still in use... Flush would be great, for a lower mile truck, but you still need to replace the filter, and you can only do that by dropping the pan.
I drained my 1500 transmission 3 times when I had it, its really not that hard. Cut the short end of a 10mm allen key in half and you are in business. I've heard horror stories from people who had their transmissions flushed with the flushing machines, so my suggestion was simply that a drain and fill without changing the filter would be safer than using a flushing machine. You should really drain and fill more than once to get as much of the old fluid out as you can, and you might as well drain it through the plug vs pulling the pan old school and getting fluid everywhere.