Ram 1500 transmission fluid change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Since I am removing the entire pan, is the tilt only for filling?

You can do the filter/fluid change on jackstands. But to get the final fill level 'correct' the transmission needs to be level. Like a lot of trucks the transmission/engine sit higher than the rear diff (for more wheel/axle movement) and thus the engine/transmission/driveshaft are at an angle. What you are doing therefore is raising the rear up to be level with the ground. Check out the links in the above posts.

Good luck...do it safely. Don't burn yourself..

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Interesting this came up on my feed as I'm getting ready to do my 2020 Ram. How would I know if I need the rear up higher? Just sighting the level of the pan? If I put 8" riser pads on the back of my lift and a flat riser on the front, is that good enough? I've watched countless videos on this subject (even ones made by ZF) and NONE said anything about the tilt of the trans. Thanks for pointing this out. Since I am removing the entire pan, is the tilt only for filling?
Use a small bubble level on the pan rail after you drop the pan,to see if it's level.You might be close with 8" risers,but you'll still want to check it though.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unfortunate that there is no video to show and explain that to technicians and Diyer's !

If you need a video for this, you shouldn't be touching tools...lol... The procedure is literally spelled out on the sheet.

And this is another reason to never let some grease monkey touch your vehicle. They do them on the lifts and dont care its not leveled.

Slinge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
%.7
The part about leveling the pan is what I would like to see on video. The vids I've watched dont show that.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
The process of getting the fluid 'right' on a RAM is the LAST thing mechanics at the majority of shops *want* to do. They expect to do almost everything on a hoist. And if you're doing things day in and day out, it makes sense. When was the last time you ever saw a mechanic at a shop put a vehicle up on jackstands and crawl under it and poke around hot pipes and spinning shafts while it's running. It almost violates safe work practices. Plus it takes more time. Not a wonder they just slap it together on a hoist and send the tk out the door.

If someone is under their truck with "spinning shafts while it's running" ain't doing the fill procedure correctly, lol.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The part about leveling the pan is what I would like to see on video. The vids I've watched dont show that.
Well then don't level the pan,but if your 8 speed starts slipping or acting weird,don't say you weren't warned. Couple questions for you,as you seem to have a hard time figuring this out,did you actually get under your truck,and check where the fill plug is.Now put your imagination to work,and imagine how much more fluid you'd get into the transmission if it was leveled,next question is,why would the instructions that come with a "brand new" 8 speed bought from the dealer specific to a trucks VIN,highlight the very first paragraph in the instructions,and tell you it's "Extremely Important" to level the transmission,if they didn't think it was important.Read the very first high lighted paragraph again.Damn i'm getting tired of explaining this,i'm to old for this $h!t anymore,so you do it however you want,i honestly don't care anymore lol.

Attachments

• IMG_3383 (2).JPG
    IMG_3383 (2).JPG
    272.9 KB · Views: 7

Slinge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
%.7
Never said anything derogatory about the green sheet instructions....I believe every word....just wanted to watch a video.
As for your Questions Yes and Yes

Last edited:

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter

It isn't an difficult task if you have access to jack stands suitable to keeping your truck stable while performing the transmission fill.

Using a floor jack, jack the rear end up on the rear axle at the "pumpkin" until the transmission is level, using a bubble level(I used double sided tape on an small level to hold the level onto the bottom of the tranny pan).

Place two jack stands on each side of the differential housing to support the truck, once the transmission is level, lower the jack down and enough to let the weight of the truck's axle rests onto the jack stands and also leave the floor jack supporting the "pumpkin" and then your good to go by following the tranny fill instructions that Rick(@Wild one) posted.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Never said anything derogatory about the green sheet instructions....I believe every word....just wanted to watch a video.
As Ian/Dilligaf stated if you need a video to do the job,you should probably take it somewhere,and pay to have it done.
Have you actually looked at the pass side of your transmission,and seen where the fill plug is located. It's above the pan rail an inch or 2 and towards the back of the transmission,put a little common sense to work,when you're looking at the fill port,and you'll see why you won't get the same amount of fluid into the trucks transmission as you will a cars transmission if you don't level the transmissions pan rail.We could save alot of this discussion,if you'd just get under your truck,and start looking it over.You've spent more time looking for video's,then you have at actually looking at the transmission

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
As for your Questions Yes and Yes

It's all good.

Rick(@Wild one)has posted the ZF 8 speed transmission fill procedure for our RAM trucks many times for folks, especially newbies, and also gave out a lot of helpful tips that sometimes he feels that it's nerve wracking for him repeating the procedure, he's the man you want advice from an he ain't gonna steer you or anyone else wrong.

Slinge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
%.7
Yes I have looked and understand....never asked about instructions.
Unfortunate I can't find such a video showing levelling of the pan

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Yes I have looked and understand....never asked about instructions.
Unfortunate I can't find such a video showing levelling of the pan

Read my post #28.

If you have mechanical abilities, you won't need a video.

<added note>:
Make sure to chock your front tires/wheel, you wouldn't want things to "go south" ...

Last edited:

Slinge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
%.7
I have read the instructions and posts.....very good tools for my toolbox....a video .....would be another.
I not asking anyone to make one....just asking about availability.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have read the instructions and posts.....very good tools for my toolbox....a video .....would be another.
There's several video's showing how to do the job,just adapt them to the green sheet instructions,and level the transmission.Do you need a video showing how to jack the truck up,even after J has explained it. I'm really failing to see your issues here lad

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Watch Johns video,he's showing how he leveled the transmission,although i'd stick the level on the pan rail and level the transmission before bolting the pan back on.Just easier to use a level on the pan rails machined surface,then it is off the bolt heads.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
To make getting fluid back into the transmission easier,it's well worth building yourself a transfer pump like this one.

This is mine,i made up a couple differant ends for differant applications.

Attachments

• IMG_5190.JPG
    IMG_5190.JPG
    183.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5193.JPG
    IMG_5193.JPG
    240.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5189.JPG
    IMG_5189.JPG
    295.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5197.JPG
    IMG_5197.JPG
    323.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5195.JPG
    IMG_5195.JPG
    263.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

RamInfo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Interesting this came up on my feed as I'm getting ready to do my 2020 Ram. How would I know if I need the rear up higher? Just sighting the level of the pan? If I put 8" riser pads on the back of my lift and a flat riser on the front, is that good enough? I've watched countless videos on this subject (even ones made by ZF) and NONE said anything about the tilt of the trans. Thanks for pointing this out. Since I am removing the entire pan, is the tilt only for filling?
Use a torpedo level to get the trans level.

Best,
RI

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CHEESUS folks. Calm down. It's transmission fluid. Everybody relax. If you're feeling taxed by answering questions, don't answer them. IT'S NOT THAT HARD. Not everyone is a seasoned wrench-turner and they need a little extra padding to feel good/build confidence about what they're doing.