2020 Ram 1500 transmission advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tsherv

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Ram 1500 with the V6 and 3.55 differential. I have roughly 42,000 miles on it. I've noticed an issue with the transmission that seems to progressively been getting worse, and I'm looking for some advice on how to approach it with the dealership. The issues I'm seeing seem to be random, and I can't always get them to duplicate. That makes it tough to have a discussion with the dealership. Here's what I'm noticing:

1) When the engine is cold, the first time I accelerate, the transmission slips in higher RPM's in 3rd gear before it shifts to 4th gear. It has to be in the right situation. For example: when I leave my house in the morning, I drive around 25 MPH for the first 1/2 mile, and by the time I get to accelerate harder, it seems to be warm enough to wear it doesn't slip. When I leave work, I pull out of the driveway and can immediately accelerate to 45 MPH, I notice it slipping occasionally.

2) If I'm on roads that are flat, city driving with higher speed limits (let's say 45 MPH), and you can't really be "on the gas", occasionally the transmission will "shutter and struggle" like it's in too high of a gear. Similar to a really high gear and very low RPM, except it's really not too low of RPM. In the past week it's acted up like 3 times, and I've been running at about 1,700 RPM's when it acts up.

3) When driving at slow speeds, the transmission shifts too high for the speed and RPM's. For example: if I'm in town driving 25-30 MPH, the transmission is in 6th gear at slightly over 1,000 RPM's. The same thing happened with in town call it 40 MPH driving. The transmission shifted to 8th gear and was running around 1,000 RPM's. When that happens I get sort of a "shutter and struggle" feel in the transmission.

I've had it to the dealership for issue #3. I was told "we aren't seeing any codes, and it's working as it should". I'm afraid if I take it to the dealership none of the issues will be able to get duplicated and I will get the same message as before. My question is has anyone had similar issues? If so, how should I navigate this with the dealership?

Dmoe0911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2020 Ram is currently at the dealership getting a remanufactured transmission under warranty for similar problems. It was shifting hard into 3rd & 4th gear and when it was cold it would periodically get stuck in 3rd gear and wouldn’t shift up or down. I would have to shut the truck off and it reset itself in 1st gear. Once I was able to coax it into 4th gear and sometimes that would take several attempts, it would warm up and be fine until it set for an hour or two when it might have a problem again. They replaced the valve module on their second try to fix it but it started doing it again after a thousand miles or so. Thank goodness my truck threw codes indicating that it had a problem. I will probably be truck shopping after I get it back this time. Don

OP
OP
T

tsherv

Reaction score
I took the truck to the dealership last week. I’m getting a new (manufactured) transmission. They are skipping the valve body. Thankfully I also had transmission codes stored. When we went for the test drive I couldn’t duplicate the issue. They must have checked the fluid because they said they found metal in the fluid. They did say there are some updates on the rebuilt transmission, so who knows if it will last long term. The service advisor told me years ago they saw a lot of transmission issues in the Rams, but they haven’t seen a lot in this generation.