2021-2500 6.4 Trans and T-Case mind of it's own?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RACENRAM1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a 2021 Ram 2500 6.4, loved the truck the first 7k miles. I tow a race car and other equipment on a regular basis. It's been in and out of the dealership's and I've delt with many case workers it's whole life! I have a long story but I'll make it as short as possible. This all started towing to a race, cruise set a 74mph. The truck on it's own shifted into 4WD Low Range! What a scary ride that was, we were lucky not to have crashed! Now thinking it's destroyed the engine and t case after the high revving sudden shock! Took it to my dealer and they said that's weird and after looking everything over said it was fine and no codes thrown?? This happened again same thing while towing! I had them check the engine oil and trans fluid for metal due to the sudden shock and high rpm's. Sure enough the trans was full of metal shavings as I was worried about. After a long wait they replaced the trans and tried to tell me that was my original issue, wrong, no way! The trans was fine before the massive blow. They have changed all modules throughout it's life in the service dpt and 1 module has been changed 3 times due to rust and corrosion, this is a new truck with low miles??? How does that happen? I'll spare the details as you can figure it out, this has happened 2 more times by the way, My wife n I are on pins and needles every time we get in the truck!. The truck still shifts into low and high range at any given time on it's own and the trans hangs in 2nd gear periodically and you have to pull over and shut the truck completely off to try and reset it?? After going through many unhelpful case workers, explaining how dangerous this truck is I just keep getting led on and on. No one at Ram/Dodge seems to care. I'm out of options and feel like I'm stuck with a lemon! Thanks

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree...you have a lemon. I would try whatever possible route to get rid of it, whether that is bite the bullet and trade it, or some form of lemon law/buyback...something!! I definitely would not be having my family riding in something like that any longer!!

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Maybe if they could build a reliable product their history wouldn't look like this.

Chrysler Corporation Loan Guarantee Act of 1979 (1.5B loan from Gov)
DaimlerChrysler 1998–2007
Chrysler sale to Cerberus 2007–2009
Chapter 11 reorganization 2009
Chrysler Group 2009-2014
FCA US LLC 2014–2021
Stellantis North America 2021 to present

I like my RAM, but I may have give up because of long term reliability. I'm waiting 8 weeks for a new back window (2nd time it been changed for leaking) So my 2019 RAM is parked in the garage, while I'm driving my 2003 Dakota with 175K miles.

Last edited:

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5, 2023 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
I'm curious if you drive the truck by letting it do it's own thing or are you using the + and - to select gears. Or maybe placing it in tow/haul. Maybe it's another module connected to "select" drive.