2020 Ram with U1428 and P2173 codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmullinsaba

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys i just bought a 2020 Ram 1500 Bighorn three weeks ago. It has the 5.7 vvt hemi in it with 39k miles. About a week after I bought it I was driving across town on the interstate around 65-70 mph and all kinds of chimes started to ding and it was flashing service stability control system and auto on/off not available and went into a limp mode with a flashing check engine light. I pulled off the highway immediately and shut the truck off. Waited about 5 minutes and started it back up and it ran fine but had a solid check engine light. I took it back to the dealer and they said the diagnostic showed a vacuum leak but they could not locate one so they cleared the code and said the truck was ready to pick up. I picked up the truck and all was fine for another week or so and then the same thing happened again but this time at slow speeds 15-20 mph. Took it back to the dealer for the 2nd time and they still have the truck as we speak, they are saying its showing codes U1428- transmission control module not receiving valid engine torque signal from pcm and code p2173- generic powertrain code problem with throttle actuator control system. They are telling me they will replace the map sensor and thats all they can find wrong with the vehicle. This is my first Ram truck so looking for any and all advice if others have had a similar experience or what this problem could be. Thank you in advance

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just a gimme: These RAMS are friggin power magnets, and are well known to develop problems when U have a weak battery. Might wanna check on battery and see if original, as these batteries with all the electronic draw not going real far past 4 years.

WEAK BATTERY can give U all sorts of codes and problems: My AGM WENT bad couple weeks ago, and I had (17) codes with various sub codes all relating to low voltage. Just FYI, and U may want to inquire at dealer. Just wanted to put out that info for U.