2021 Classic Warlock differential whine in reverse(?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
E

EMANRESU

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Should I place much value on the Anti-Spin Diff option that the black truck has?
Few of these trucks have it. Have read that it's great for driving in snow -which I do.
Weighing the +/- for the two trucks to make a decision, pending answers on pricing.

kyguylal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Did you buy from a dealer?
Not many 2020's here, but dozens of 2021's coming off 3yr lease on the lots and more every day.
Don't seem to be moving -most priced $29-30K for V6 and I get regular emails with price drops for ones I'm tracking.
Based on above, hope for a good deal off ask prices.
2021 Classic Warlocks appear to be a good value at ask price vs other brands.
I ended up finding mine at a Mercedes dealership. Needed the room for a toddler seat which wouldn't fit in my Frontier rear seats. They actually gave me more for my old truck than in bought it for 5 years ago.

I've always driven black or white cars/trucks. Easier to touch up paint. Test drove some 5th gens, but too many bells and whistles for what I wanted. I want as few moving parts as possible in my truck.

Ended up with a white Ram with the black trim. Figured it might not get as hot in the summer. Photo attached from 30 minutes ago. Unfortunately, a late season snow storm and this thing doesn't fit in my garage ha.
20240404_095742.jpg

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
I just purchased a 2024 warlock classic hemi, 4x4. 8 speed and 3.92s along with limited slip.

Slight whine backing up.

Have a 14 RT, slight whine backing up, depending upon speed.

My view it's normal to have a slight whine

Dutra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LOL -can make all the noises it wants, if they are normal!
Looking at the Classic Warlock V6's b/c it's a long-proven setup without a lot of the new techy stuff.
When I loaned my power wagon to bilstein for that fiasco/scam they gave me a loaner truck and it was a warlock. That thing was pretty fast.

OP
OP
E

EMANRESU

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I ended up finding mine at a Mercedes dealership. Needed the room for a toddler seat which wouldn't fit in my Frontier rear seats. They actually gave me more for my old truck than in bought it for 5 years ago.

I've always driven black or white cars/trucks. Easier to touch up paint. Test drove some 5th gens, but too many bells and whistles for what I wanted. I want as few moving parts as possible in my truck.

Ended up with a white Ram with the black trim. Figured it might not get as hot in the summer. Photo attached from 30 minutes ago. Unfortunately, a late season snow storm and this thing doesn't fit in my garage ha.
View attachment 540574
Appears we think alike-
I also initially looked into 2022 Frontiers -agree too much tech -also too much $ and few CC-long beds available.
Without an agreed price yet, lean toward the white also. Has RhinoLiner (nice) and new tires/brakes, along with good service history documentation vs the black one that has almost no service history and was a commercial vehicle. Extra options on black one: remote/alarm, anti-spin diff, and rear window w/defrost. Black has a plastic bed liner and a tonneau, would need to buy a tonneau and remote start for the white one.
The black one also has new brakes, and tires with some miles on them but life left.
Black one has a ball installed on the bumper, which I'd swap to a receiver.
Get the impression the white one has less risk for issues based on history, and I'm risk averse LOL.
Anyway, that's what I'm up to making decision if anyone is interested LOL

OP
OP
E

EMANRESU

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
When I loaned my power wagon to bilstein for that fiasco/scam they gave me a loaner truck and it was a warlock. That thing was pretty fast.
Agree -V6 at 305hp is fine for me -good throttle response and OK for the little bit of trailering I do.
Not a hemi tho -love to own one but I'm older and more practical these days LOL.
Getting wrapped around the axle deciding on buying decision b/c probably be my last vehicle based on age and driving only 4K mi annually! Therefore looking at stuff like power/heated seats that an old man appreciates LOL

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Agree -V6 at 305hp is fine for me -good throttle response and OK for the little bit of trailering I do.
Not a hemi tho -love to own one but I'm older and more practical these days LOL.
Getting wrapped around the axle deciding on buying decision b/c probably be my last vehicle based on age and driving only 4K mi annually! Therefore looking at stuff like power/heated seats that an old man appreciates LOL
Grind hard on the dealer to have them install a limited slip diff in the white truck. Dealers aren't moving as many trucks these days as they'd like,so you should have a bit of room to have them install the limited slip. You might have to pay for parts,but you should be able to get them to eat the labour to install it.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Therefore looking at stuff like power/heated seats that an old man appreciates LOL

You're not alone in that department and in good company.

A heated steering wheel is heavenly to drive in the dead cold of winter. My previous truck, an '07 Tundra, had the coldest of steering wheels that never got warm during the winter months.

Holding a warm steering wheel, bare-handed during the coldest of winter days is so much better than wearing thick gloves or mitts. After all, the steering wheel is the primary interface while driving. :cool:

Not likely a deal-breaker for most but it would certainly add considerable value in my grading and decision-making process.

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Grind hard on the dealer to have them install a limited slip diff in the white truck. Dealers aren't moving as many trucks these days as they'd like,so you should have a bit of room to have them install the limited slip. You might have to pay for parts,but you should be able to get them to eat the labour to install it.
I wouldn't have the stealerships re-gear a truck on my worst day. Hell they barely can do an oil change competently these days. With all the shimming and tolerances that they are not trained to set, that new gear pack would eat itself up in no time and sound like a helicopter following him around.

OP
OP
E

EMANRESU

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Thanks for responses on limited slip-
Plan aggressive price negotiation b/c these trucks are multiplying on the lots, few moving, and many price drops.
No limited slip would be OK, but a nice option and does factor into an advantage on the black truck.

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just shop around and educate yourself on different features that you may like. Such as bed lighting (believe me you'll appreciate it) a LOT of leased trucks were bare bones of their model, version . My brother-in-law just purchased a Laramie at a dealership close by that I would have told him to steer clear of. It is as bare bones as it gets, no sunroof, no bed liner, no bed lights and there was numerous other things that it didn't have. But he didn't ask me for help and he went and bought off the Laramie badge alone and got a bare bones Laramie at that.

OP
OP
E

EMANRESU

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Just shop around and educate yourself on different features that you may like. Such as bed lighting (believe me you'll appreciate it) a LOT of leased trucks were bare bones of their model, version . My brother-in-law just purchased a Laramie at a dealership close by that I would have told him to steer clear of. It is as bare bones as it gets, no sunroof, no bed liner, no bed lights and there was numerous other things that it didn't have. But he didn't ask me for help and he went and bought off the Laramie badge alone and got a bare bones Laramie at that.
Yep -looked at dozens of these 2021's listed here. Almost all are base, maybe an option or 2.
The 2 I'm considering have premium seats, luxury group, electronics group, heated seats, 3.55 ratio, step rails.
Black one adds remote start/alarm, anti-spin diff, and rear power window/defrost, tonneau.
Bed liners: white=Rhino Liner, black=plastic (Pendaliner)
Black was a commercial vehicle, approx 31.4Kmi. New brakes. Some miles on Kumhos.
White was personal lease, approx 33Kmi. New brakes and new Goodyear Wranglers.
White has better maint record/regular oil changes (black -basically no record).
White: would need to spend @$250 for Start-X remote and $300 for Gator SFX bedliner -black has remote/bedliner.
Black: would need to install a Class III receiver -approx $100.
As of now, black is $800 less than white after dealer knocked $600 off.
Haven't had discussion yet on white to see how low that dealer will go.
Tough call: white had better care: important IMO, but needs approx $500 to = black that needs $100 receiver.

That's how they compare -any feedback appreciated!

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep -looked at dozens of these 2021's listed here. Almost all are base, maybe an option or 2.
The 2 I'm considering have premium seats, luxury group, electronics group, heated seats, 3.55 ratio, step rails.
Black one adds remote start/alarm, anti-spin diff, and rear power window/defrost, tonneau.
Black was a commercial vehicle, approx 31.4Kmi. New brakes. Some miles on Kumhos.
White: would need to spend @$250 for Start-X remote and $300 for Gator SFX bedliner -black has remote/bedliner.
Tough call: white had better care: important IMO, but needs approx $500 to = black that needs $100 receiver.

Many of these items sound more like personal preference choices.

I would add a spray-in liner for the black truck requirements. Plastic liners are junk, trap moisture, and anything placed on them better be well fastened because it will be rapidly migrating.

I once bought a used truck with a plastic liner and pulled it out immediately. :cool:

ADDED: I live in a rural area but I wouldn't own any vehicle without an alarm, I visit big cities sometimes. IMHO, OEM alarm systems are the bare minimum, (junk actually), my alarm preference is a Viper.

Remote start is great but I'd install a Viper alarm/remote start in a heartbeat if I found THE truck to own that didn't have it already. :cool:

And, because of where I live, heated seats and a limited-slip rear diff are pretty valuable, in my books.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I wouldn't have the stealerships re-gear a truck on my worst day. Hell they barely can do an oil change competently these days. With all the shimming and tolerances that they are not trained to set, that new gear pack would eat itself up in no time and sound like a helicopter following him around.
They're not re-gearing it to add limited slip.On the 1500's it's just a carrier swap,you re-use the same ring and pinion.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

The Black one being a commercial vehicle,and having no maintence record would scare me,as you don't know how many drivers it's had,or how it was abused,especially if younger guys were driving it.Company vehicles drove by younger employee's,have been known to have air time, :waytogo: :Big Laugh:

OP
OP
E

EMANRESU

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
The Black one being a commercial vehicle,and having no maintence record would scare me,as you don't know how many drivers it's had,or how it was abused,especially if younger guys were driving it.Company vehicles drove by younger employee's,have been known to have air time, :waytogo: :Big Laugh:
Agree, would have to push the Trust Button on that one.
Or could have been a small business owner's daily driver, right?
No way to know, was bought by dealer at auction. No issues on test drive, and truck passed the eye test.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I too purchased used and had the choice between black and white trucks. I chose the black truck because it had a few more options, bigger wheels and a few less miles. I never owned a black vehicle before and thought what the heck, can’t be that bad. Well at 61 a black truck is a PITA. If it gets washed once a month and waxed three times a year I’m happy. It shows dirt within hours of waxing it. One rainstorm and it looks like it hasn’t been cleaned in weeks. Shows tree pollen all spring and road salts all winter. Admittedly it looks gorgeous after it’s waxed but that quickly fades. No more black vehicles for me. YMMV

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I too purchased used and had the choice between black and white trucks. I chose the black truck because it had a few more options, bigger wheels and a few less miles. I never owned a black vehicle before and thought what the heck, can’t be that bad. Well at 61 a black truck is a PITA. If it gets washed once a month and waxed three times a year I’m happy. It shows dirt within hours of waxing it. One rainstorm and it looks like it hasn’t been cleaned in weeks. Shows tree pollen all spring and road salts all winter. Admittedly it looks gorgeous after it’s waxed but that quickly fades. No more black vehicles for me. YMMV
Black vehicles are for the younger guys,lol. I owned 1 black vehicle,it was the first and last black vehicle i'll ever own,never again :Big Laugh:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I never owned a black vehicle before and thought what the heck, can’t be that bad. Well at 61 a black truck is a PITA.

Black vehicles are for the younger guys,lol. I owned 1 black vehicle,it was the first and last black vehicle i'll ever own,never again :Big Laugh:

Me three, never again. :cool:

OP
OP
E

EMANRESU

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Agree regarding black -until now always avoided buying black or white.
Regarding white: I drive them into the ground and when the rust develops white is the worst color.
If deciding just on color, prefer white over black b/c retired and the truck won't be on salted roads nearly as much.
Regarding black: OK if it's a deal -guess I'm not as fussy about keeping the finish perfect as I used to be LOL.
Best color for me = Delmonico Red, similar to what I normally go with. Hides rust, and looks good!