2023 Ram 2500 Cummins 6.7 DPF

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bul1seye

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I am confused on the regen. There seams to be no rime or reason why the DPF starts filling and never seems to clean up on long drives say 20 miles. My last 2 rams 2008 and 2016 never went into regen like this one. This one only seems to clean up when it's actually in regen. With the last 2 I never had to drive as far to satisfy the regen as this one. Doing the same driving every day it seems like driving time not miles activates the regen. It seems I just get where I'm getting decent milage and bang, back in regen and loosing MPGs. Have 5500 miles on the odometer.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Have you taken it to the dealer to see if there are any updates needed or what they have to say about it? Do you idle a lot?

OP
OP
B

bul1seye

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I do not idle a lot, I actually avoid it when ever I can. Haven't explored the dealer yet, I know there is an update available but always wonder if it will make things worse.

oledirteh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
20 miles isnt really enough to help it out. you need to run that thing out with highway time. A ton of us have been running archoil 6400D with good results. it claims better milage but we don't really see that however it does cut regen times down.

But if you aren't towing, and your doing short trips thats going to cause regens more often. nature of the beast.

How many miles in-between regens? Have you monitored your oil levels? Keep track of that due to you can get diesel in your oil and cause even greater issues.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I started a 3 hour tow yesterday with the DPF at about 30%. Hilly interstate for the most part. Went to zero w/o a regen in about 25 miles. 22 with 14k miles. They like to be worked.

Units

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Bighorn
Engine
6.7l Cummins
I’ll echo what @oledirteh stated and I’ll add a few things. First, the only update I’m aware of is the Y43 recall and that’s for the ‘22s that are missing a sensor and all it does is monitor outflow. Second, if you have your DPF monitor pulled up on your Evic, there are 2 ways your truck goes into an active regen, once the gauge hits 45% or every 24hrs of engine run time that will reset after every active regen. Third, make sure you are using the correct air filter, which you have 5500 miles so I assume you still have the original. Make sure you have the one without the glue strips, those have been know to cause regeneration issues with the newer trucks. Finally, if you’re truck is not throwing a code, then taking it to the dealership is pointless, in their eyes no code = no problems. I say use the Archoil 6500 as a daily fuel treatment but start with the 6400d cleaner. Make sure you get plenty of 70mph + travel time so you can get those egts up and squeeze in some passive regen when not towing.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
The guys above have it right, 20 miles isn't enough to do a good regen on these systems. It might be enough for the older systems, or the systems that have an extra injector to add more fuel (my FIL's 6.7 Ford seems to do regens a LOT faster than my CTD), but for these, once it starts you need to run a good 30+, mine seems to be about 40 miles running around 60 mph (which is all the roads around me are, I don't get out on the expressway as much as some other guys). Even so, I do a regen every 600-800 miles it seems.

OP I'm going to go out on a limb and say you probably have the wrong truck for your commute if it's your daily driver. CTDs like to either be worked or driven for longer periods, 20 minute runs aren't really good for them. If that's your longest normal drive, I would suggest finding something different to daily drive, and let this truck sit until you need it if you want to keep it.

OP
OP
B

bul1seye

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
The 20 mile run in one way, then a refuel stop then another 20 mile run back all @ 60 MPH. Thought that would be more than enough. I'll look into the Archoil treatment to see if that may help. Often the regen will end when I shutdown and start back up later, then the regen will be over. Confusing as my other 2 Rams I had the regen would be over while driving. Never have had a code.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
The guys above have it right, 20 miles isn't enough to do a good regen on these systems. It might be enough for the older systems, or the systems that have an extra injector to add more fuel (my FIL's 6.7 Ford seems to do regens a LOT faster than my CTD), but for these, once it starts you need to run a good 30+, mine seems to be about 40 miles running around 60 mph (which is all the roads around me are, I don't get out on the expressway as much as some other guys). Even so, I do a regen every 600-800 miles it seems.

OP I'm going to go out on a limb and say you probably have the wrong truck for your commute if it's your daily driver. CTDs like to either be worked or driven for longer periods, 20 minute runs aren't really good for them. If that's your longest normal drive, I would suggest finding something different to daily drive, and let this truck sit until you need it if you want to keep it.
I just had a complete 24 hours passive regen yesterday, my DPF was at around 12.5%, it took a drive of 17.8 mile to complete it, Hwy speeds no higher than 66 MPH in 17:55 minutes. see photos. BTW I use Archoil 6500, 1 oz per 10 gallons this last tank, the tank before used 2 oz per 10 so was happy to with regen time/miles, this tank was 55+% city stop & go driving... FYI I only drove 674.6 miles in 24 engine hours for an average speed was 28.1 MPH

Attachments

• IMG_4873.jpg
    IMG_4873.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4870.jpg
    IMG_4870.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4872.jpg
    IMG_4872.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 5

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Archoil isn't going to fix this.

It needs drive time, preferably with a load. Take it on a 6 hour drive.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
It shouldnt work this way, but these diesels only seem to be happy when your really working them hard. I know my previous Gen4 rams were both diesels, and honestly I dont remember ever seeing them regen the entire time I owned them. But then again I dont DD mine either. I primarily only use my truck to haul my fifth wheel, which really works it hard. Accordingly I rarely see the DPF meter shown in the DIC, as percentage full.