2025 auto stop start disable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hemismith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Hurricane
Is there a way to disable stop/start feature? That was a no-cost option but unfortunately mine didn't have it. I wonder if the dealer could simply reprogram it?

I try to disable it most of the time, but I usually have to press the button twice. Anyone else experience that? It seems to work better if I press the bottom of the button. Not sure why the button isn't just flat.

leftchevybehind

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi eTorque
What's with this obsession of people wanting to disable MDS and Auto Start/Stop? There is zero value in doing so. This is not just for Ram, but other trucks with those features too

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I can't comment on the MDS but on auto start/stop, it concerns me. Neither of my trucks has this but my wife's Bronco does. The number of start/stops while sitting in stop-and-go traffic has to be hard on the engine, battery, starter, and climate control system. Yes, it can be defeated by the press of a button but it is always on by default after every ignition cycle. I wish that behavior could be changed without having to purchase a defeat circuit for $50.

I suppose different folks and different driving scenarios define how viable start/stop is. When we stop at a traffic light, the engine shuts down until she releases the brake pedal or the climate control system commands the engine on. In a typical traffic light stop in summer weather, the start/stop will cycle three times. I think it is ridiculous and I would like to see an actual study of provable benefits start/stop offers.

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What's with this obsession of people wanting to disable MDS and Auto Start/Stop? There is zero value in doing so. This is not just for Ram, but other trucks with those features too
The start stop because it is a clear case of government overreach, as well as too much pointless technology in vehicles that serves no other purpose then virtue signaling from the manufacturer

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
AZ - 83 Miles SW of the Geographical Center
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Because the start/stop is hard on the engine when in any kind of traffic and it is constantly shutting down and restarting 300 times a day. The MDS in a large truck like mine is of no benefit to me. I bought a truck with 8 cylinders. If I had wanted a 4-cyl truck I'd have bought Ranger. So I override the MDS every time I get in and only let it do its thing when I get up to 50+ MPH and plan on keeping it that way for a while.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
Is there a way to disable stop/start feature? That was a no-cost option but unfortunately mine didn't have it. I wonder if the dealer could simply reprogram it?

I try to disable it most of the time, but I usually have to press the button twice. Anyone else experience that? It seems to work better if I press the bottom of the button. Not sure why the button isn't just flat.
I installed an autostop eliminator on my last truck with stop/start (2021 Limited hemi etorque). I'm not sure if they have an updated version for 2025 models yet but it would be worth contacting them.

First a question...why do you care what other people do with their trucks? As far as zero value goes, that's your opinion. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

My reasons for disabling MDS and stop/start are my own reasons. With an aftermarket exhaust, when the engine is running in MDS mode it sounds terrible. That's it, and yes it has value to me.
The reason I disabled stop/start when I had a truck with that is because I don't like the idea of my engine shutting off and restarting. Reminds me of the days when I drove beaters and occasionally one of them would die when I came to a stop. Bad memories LOL. I also noticed a change in the cabin when the engine would stop if I was running the AC. Not just in temperature, but also in odor. So disabling that had value for me as well.

leftchevybehind

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi eTorque
I installed an autostop eliminator on my last truck with stop/start (2021 Limited hemi etorque). I'm not sure if they have an updated version for 2025 models yet but it would be worth contacting them.

First a question...why do you care what other people do with their trucks? As far as zero value goes, that's your opinion. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

My reasons for disabling MDS and stop/start are my own reasons. With an aftermarket exhaust, when the engine is running in MDS mode it sounds terrible. That's it, and yes it has value to me.
The reason I disabled stop/start when I had a truck with that is because I don't like the idea of my engine shutting off and restarting. Reminds me of the days when I drove beaters and occasionally one of them would die when I came to a stop. Bad memories LOL. I also noticed a change in the cabin when the engine would stop if I was running the AC. Not just in temperature, but also in odor. So disabling that had value for me as well.
I don't have any odors in my truck, when it auto-stops, but it's still new with less than 8K miles. I keep the cabin air filter clean and everything else clean. I have kids so I keep a portable dirt devil in there. Outside though.... sometimes, I just leave the mud on there and hope it rains. It doesn't have a ceramic coat... yet.

The only time I had an issue with auto-start/stop, was when I pulled up to make a turn, the truck stopped, and I had just tapped the throttle so I could merge into traffic, and there was a 1-2s delay, so I stopped, because I wouldn't have enough time before the oncoming traffic reached me (speed limit was 55). I was pissed. HOWEVER, despite the horrible stop timing, I fish-tailed the rear and let it rip.

For the most part, the auto start-stop has helped keep my Idle hours down. Something most folks may overlook if they're also driving a lot in the city.

OP
OP
H

hemismith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Hurricane
Aside from potential wear, the two main things that bother me is it will turn off even if I am just stopped for just a second (or less), and when it's really hot outside I want to keep the engine on. My previous Ford truck had this and I hated it. There was a way to jumper a couple wires to keep it off. It will turn back on when it thinks it needs to for the A/C, and the Ram does seem a little better about this than my Ford, but I still prefer full A/C when I'm stopped. And it's just annoying when you stop briefly when pulling into the garage or at a corner. It's quick but I don't want any delay when I have to pull out into traffic.

When I lived in a larger city they made a big deal out of it for emissions reasons. They claim cars use a lot of gas idling and supposedly this can improve your city mileage by up to 1 mpg; hard to believe it compares to the gas used for accelerating though. Granted you are getting 0 mpg but still. In the "old" days they used to make a big deal about how much gas it took when starting; with new cars it doesn't take much, but they still say it's better to leave it on if you aren't going to be stopped for more than 10 seconds. I've had it turn off and then turn on again before my rpms had even fallen to 0.

In Europe people were turning their cars off at lights manually when I lived there 40 years ago. The stoplights turn yellow briefly before green to give people a chance to turn them back on. If we had that here every light would be a drag race.

Yes there is a button but I just don't always remember, and even worse as I mentioned is sometimes it doesn't actually activate but I don't realize it. Most of the dealers I was looking at when I bought this ordered their trucks with it deleted, but the one I ultimately bought from did not.

It of course can't predict how long you are going to be stopped, and that is critical to whether it actually helps or not. I would be more amenable to it if the button function were reversed; if I were at a light and I knew it would be long, and the weather was mild, I would be happy to turn the engine off and let it restart automatically. But I don't like the constant cycling in normal driving.

OP
OP
H

hemismith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Hurricane
They don't list it on their site yet but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask them. Their site says they are having a critical family emergency right now so I think I'll wait a while.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

hemismith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Hurricane
Does it have a resonator? My Charger R/T had a muffler and a resonator, and sounded like nothing. The resonator is critical to the sound when MDS is on. If you replaced the whole exhaust then I assume you don't, if it even had one to start with. I ended up just doing a muffler delete but kept the resonator; never noticed the MDS, was never too loud and never droned, but sounded great under throttle.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its higly annoying also yes start/stop puts more wear on the main bearings its been prooven many times already on all vehicles.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
They don't list it on their site yet but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask them. Their site says they are having a critical family emergency right now so I think I'll wait a while.
Hopefully they'll come out with one soon.

Does it have a resonator? My Charger R/T had a muffler and a resonator, and sounded like nothing. The resonator is critical to the sound when MDS is on. If you replaced the whole exhaust then I assume you don't, if it even had one to start with. I ended up just doing a muffler delete but kept the resonator; never noticed the MDS, was never too loud and never droned, but sounded great under throttle.
Yes, truck still has the stock resonators. I did a muffler swap (B2 Fabrication aggressive).

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It is annoying and could pose a worse threat in traffic if it doesn't restart promptly. The MDS is something I can live with, but if a new vehicle comes with start/stop that can't be over ridden, I'll not purchase it.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
"There is zero value in doing so."

The only time I had an issue with auto-start/stop, was when I pulled up to make a turn, the truck stopped, and I had just tapped the throttle so I could merge into traffic, and there was a 1-2s delay, so I stopped, because I wouldn't have enough time before the oncoming traffic reached me
Apparently, there is some value.

Regcabguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 I-6
The stall/stop crap is just that. An additional battery is needed and starters will lead a shorter life. All that technology for a miniscule increase in mpg. My next gripe is the overly complicated electric parking brake. Another servo and relay is necessary. What was wrong with a foot/hand brake? It's bs.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
The auto start stop eliminator circuit wiring is the only item I know to make it go away permanently. It's about $50
You're a bit low on your price for the Autostop Eliminator. List price is $99. I was able to find a coupon to get one for $75. And some sellers on ebay price them around $75 as well. But no one sells them new for $50 that I know of. Unless you're referring to another brand, in which case a link would be kewl.