21 classic aftermarket radio steering wheel controls not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeanjacket85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I have a 21 Classic. Came pretty bare bones with the 5 inch screen and no steering wheel audio controls. I had a Sony XAV AX4000 installed one week with the iData Maestro RR and the iData link harness. A couple weeks later I had the OEM audio controls installed on the steering wheel.
The flash that I did was for my truck with the options it has (21 Classic, manual ac). And the steering wheel controls behave like this: volume up turns the volume up and changes the song twice, volume down changes the song twice, track forward changes the song twice, and track backwards does nothing. I popped the factory radio back in to test the buttons as I had the buttons installed after the radio and the buttons function just fine with the OEM radio. So I'm pretty sure it's the RR box. I bought a second RR module to rule out if my unit was defective. Same results. IData customer service recommended I try a 2018 1500 and 21 1500 (5th gen) flash as an experiment. 2018 was the same and 21 didn't work at all. Anybody know the trick to success with a Classic model or what flash works?

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
When I installed my steering wheel controls in my 2018 they just worked, no flashing involved. Perhaps you have wrong module, one for the 5th gen instead of a 4th gen(?).