23 2500 6.4 hemi tick? Dealer says they can’t hear it.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jamesg0418

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I own a 2023 ram 2500 with the 6.4 hemi, with 14k miles on it. Unfortunately I’m having some clacking or ticking issues with it. At start up and idle there is no clacking. However, under acceleration or downshifting and coasting there is a very loud and very distinct clacking noise coming from the engine bay. At first I thought it was an exhaust leak but there is a metallic tone to it. I have taken it to Pappas dodge in new Britain CT twice, dealing with the operating partner, the service manager, and the service foreman. They state in their reports that they do not hear any irregular sound on the truck, and two brand new trucks on the lot sound identical. After getting that response I took it to Roberts Ram in Meriden CT, and got the same story. Since new I have performed my own oil changes, with oil and filters purchased from Pappas CDJR in new Britain ct. oil changes where done at 1200, 4800, 8200, 12,800 miles. About a week ago I reached out to ram corporate which got me an “escalated” claim number. That seems to be a fruitless endeavor considering I reached out to them via phone and email several times and have not heard back since receiving the claim number. I’m currently at a loss, Pappas CDJR says I can take it to my fleet mechanic to have them diagnose the problem while waiting three weeks for a Ram field engineer to stop by to look at the truck. I’m not really sure what the next move is, any feedback would be appreciated, I have all documentation on the denied or unrecognized warranty service appointments. Video links below.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_7822.jpeg
    IMG_7822.jpeg
    307.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2019 and it doesn't sound like that. I have no idea what it is or what could be wrong...just that mine has 41k miles and doesn't clatter like that.

OP
OP
J

Jamesg0418

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
yeah i kind of figured most of them don't sound like this. the service manager at the dealer stated they compared it to two other new trucks on the lot side by side and all three sound the same. what's odd to me is that it doesn't start until the truck is hot, and any RPM over idle. cold start and idle, you cant hear it. I don't expect anyone will know what it is, I'm just not sure how to proceed moving forward dealing with two dealerships that refuse to acknowledge an issue. so far 3 diag attempts, and 12 days at the dealer. i may just go to my regular mechanic have him do the diag, hand it to the dealer and have my attorney hand it to them.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's pretty amazing that they charge and arm and a leg for vehicles now, but their customer service went down the drain!! I don't get it, but all manufacturers are this way now it seems.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
No tick at warm idle? See hemi tick lubrication threads in my sig. You may opt to try biotech at this point as redline isn't "approved". Put magnets on filter and cut open and look for metal. Get a uoa from Blackstone and report it in Blackstone thread for review.

The best known combo to quiet these hemi's are redline 5w30 and royal purple 20-820 filter, it is hard to find these filters right now so fram ultra xg2 would be a good choice for the filter. One good thing about this is because it is so effective if it doesn't change the characteristics of this it would lend credence to it not being an internal issue. Because this isn't traditional hemi tick there are a couple/few possibilities not related to cam/lifters or exhaust. flex plate being one possible.

OP
OP
J

Jamesg0418

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I’ll go going on that thank you.

No tick at start up, cold idle, or warm idle. Doesn’t start until you’ve been driving for about 20 mins and then it turns into a pretty loud clacking. I’m not sure what a uae is, but there a CAT dealer down the street from me that does some oil analyses, I’ll probably bring some over to them this week. Thank you for your feedback, I’ll start researching.

I’ve been using the 0w40 PUP and 10-48 RP filter as recommended. The ticking during driving start about 150 miles after the last oil change.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So one feature your oil choice has is shear, 0w40 loses a lot of viscosity right away, but usually not at 150 miles. The 10-48 is not a good choice, it's cousin filter has a tsb on it where amsoil told people not to use it due to flow issues. At least try the xg2 fram ultra, that will give you better flow I am confident on that. In most situations it probably doesn't matter, but when there is any issue possibly lubrication related get that small filter off imo. So literally 99% of the time the larger filter will fit, so just buy one and try it in case you are the 1% that doesn't. See oil filter thread for all of the info. So if fresh oil changed the characteristics on your tick, it would be lube related, which is good and bad news. Bad news because it's internal, good news because we found out some stuff here at ram forum to deal with this proven.

OP
OP
J

Jamesg0418

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I just ordered a RP20-820 and 2 gallons of redline 5w30. I’ll keep you guys posted. Does it make sense that this type of stuff isn’t corrected by dealers under warranty? Seems like an awfully fussy engine for a work truck…. I’ve bought ford diesel for years for work. Last year I bought a Chevy 2500 gasser and a ram 2500 gasser to compare. I’ve had enough with owning 12 fords and their electrical issue. No more diesel for me with the emissions nonsense. So far Chevy is winning in the less fussy maintenance area lol.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would purchase an engine stethoscope to pinpoint the noise from under the hood, fuel injectors have been known to make a slight ticking noise when they pulse, just a thought, along with changing your oil and filter type per @Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I just ordered a RP20-820 and 2 gallons of redline 5w30. I’ll keep you guys posted. Does it make sense that this type of stuff isn’t corrected by dealers under warranty? Seems like an awfully fussy engine for a work truck…. I’ve bought ford diesel for years for work. Last year I bought a Chevy 2500 gasser and a ram 2500 gasser to compare. I’ve had enough with owning 12 fords and their electrical issue. No more diesel for me with the emissions nonsense. So far Chevy is winning in the less fussy maintenance area lol.
yeah those with hemi tick all get the run around unless you get a mis fire code, then they will help.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
its near impossible to do any diagnosis by video. sounds are amplified ,skewed ,distorted.
your sound isnt anything like a bad lifter which is a unmistakable constant tapping.

OP
OP
J

Jamesg0418

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
its near impossible to do any diagnosis by video. sounds are amplified ,skewed ,distorted.
your sound isnt anything like a bad lifter which is a unmistakable constant tapping.

I agree, I’m torn between calling it a tick and a clack.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
@Jamesg0418 you said you ordered RP 20-820 filter(s).

I don't have a 6.4L but I thought I remembered reading that folks have a really tough time getting the 20-820 to fit that engine.
Instead they run the RP 20-500. It is still larger than OEM size but instead of being wider than OEM it is longer, and thinner than the 20-820.

Both will fit, might want to look into that. Any 6.4 guys reading through that can confirm?

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@Jamesg0418 you said you ordered RP 20-820 filter(s).

I don't have a 6.4L but I thought I remembered reading that folks have a really tough time getting the 20-820 to fit that engine.
Instead they run the RP 20-500. It is still larger than OEM size but instead of being wider than OEM it is longer, and thinner than the 20-820.

Both will fit, might want to look into that. Any 6.4 guys reading through that can confirm?
The RP 20-820 fits my 2019 2500 6.4 hemi just fine!! I can't say about others, but there is no problem fitting it lengthwise, or width wise.

Jas34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ouch. From your video, it sounds like your truck is either channeling a diesel or a lawn mower. Hard to tell from a phone video, though. Can you convince a service manager to test drive your truck with you and then take the same drive in a new one in the lot to compare? That's the route I would take. Either they all do that or they don't and yours is broken.

Often, these days, because no one is getting paid to diagnose a problem, they don't waste any time trying to find one that requires a good road test.

OP
OP
J

Jamesg0418

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Ouch. From your video, it sounds like your truck is either channeling a diesel or a lawn mower. Hard to tell from a phone video, though. Can you convince a service manager to test drive your truck with you and then take the same drive in a new one in the lot to compare? That's the route I would take. Either they all do that or they don't and yours is broken.

Often, these days, because no one is getting paid to diagnose a problem, they don't waste any time trying to find one that requires a good road test.

After shooting an email off to the operating partner at the dealer, a ride with a ram corporate field engineer is scheduled a couple of weeks from now. Shouldn’t have to put it in drive, you can hear it from a standstill with light throttle.

OP
OP
J

Jamesg0418

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Went to put some of the sweet redline in today with the larger RP filter and noticed some motor oil under the truck. Oil pan and filter are both dry.

Attachments

• IMG_8187.jpeg
    IMG_8187.jpeg
    153.5 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
J

Jamesg0418

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Both are Dry outside, and at the seal of the filter and oil pan plug.

So just did the oil, let the truck get hot. With the larger filter and redline 5w30 it definitely idles much much quieter, and the clacking sound is also much much quieter. The clacking at its loudest when RPM’s are dropping from 2600 back down.

Attachments

• IMG_8189.jpeg
    IMG_8189.jpeg
    259.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8190.jpeg
    IMG_8190.jpeg
    110.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8191.jpeg
    IMG_8191.jpeg
    143.1 KB · Views: 8

Members online

Forum statistics