4.7 oil pressure sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeovanicorro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
does anyone know how the 4.7 oil pressure sensor gauge works on the jtec engine 02-03 if i’m not mistaken i had read on another post that the gauge would drop all the way down if pressure went don’t by a little it won’t work like the 5.7 where the gauge comes down a little and shows accurate readings

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you having oil pressure issues? or just wondering how it works theya re not very accurate its just to give you a idea if you have pressure or not.

OP
OP
J

jeovanicorro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
when warmed up it drops oil pressure on the gauge and the check gauges light pops up i’m tryna figure out around what psi would the gauge go down and the pop up light comes up i read 4psi is the minimum oil pressure at idle on the 4.7 correct me if im wrong

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
only does it when warmed up at idle
Yep I just had this issue on a 2006 I was working on its 1 of 4 things.

Your sensor is shot replace it.
Your pickup tube is clogged with sludge.
oil pump going bad.
Bearings are wore out.

Also how many miles on it? only real way you can see the PSI is hook up a manual guage also you could also try some seafoam in engine oil run it for a few miles change oil. The end result for me was a clogged oil pickup tube because the guy before me did 8k oil changes had to rebuiild engine as the bearings looked like crap.

OP
OP
J

jeovanicorro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
forgot to mention engine got rebuilt new pistons new rod bearings same oil pump new rings heads resurfaced and all new gaskets all around pick up tube wasn’t clogged neither my mistake was not swapping the oil pump which i think was the bad one i was playing on running 10w-30 or 10w-40 can i get your opinion

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
also thinking of replacing sensor like you said
10w40 is to thick for these 10w30 is ok but yea that wasnt a good thing not replacing the oil pump lol you may get stuck doing that.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
what was wrong with your 2006 the problem you had?
Pickup tube was clogged at hot idle like yours it lost oil pressure wound up rebuilding lower end bearings new pump ect.

OP
OP
J

jeovanicorro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
swapped it and so far it works good now my only problem now is that when it gets warm and i turn off the truck it won’t start back up engine just spins and only way it turns on is if i let it cool down or if i pour some gas or starting fluid onto the throttle body

OP
OP
J

jeovanicorro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i was thinking fuel pump i have it under warranty so im thinking of swapping it out i replaced it last year in august but truck sat ever since and was only moved less than 100 miles