4.7L revving up and down while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keljenson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Hello everyone.

I recently picked up a 2006 RAM 1500 with the 4.7L. It had a blown engine, so I swapped it with a 4.7 from an ‘06 Grand Cherokee. As I’ve tried to keep it alive, I find myself chasing problems. I’d really appreciate any insight yall may have.

Here are the symptoms -

While accelerating, more often at low engine temp, the RPMs will spike up and down, without adding any power. It doesn’t feel like a downshift, but the vehicle will also jerk/clunk hard every 10 seconds or so around 40mph, so I won’t count it out. It feels like gears are being disengaged then reengaged in the trans. It recently threw a TCM code (p0700), so I am leaning towards it being an electrical/computer issue. I replaced the TPS recently with no help. Clean TB as well.

The pickup will also stall while it’s cold and I’m riding the brake. This only happens at low speeds while I’m in my neighborhoods creeping around a corner or up to a stop sign. I assume vacuum leak, but wanted to reach out first.

The truck also feels like incredible sluggish and underpowered. It will refuse to shift while going up a hill, and will sit at 2500-3000 RPM the whole time, never getting above 30mph.

I’m pretty stumped on what could be happening, as my knowledge on computer and sensor systems, as well as transmissions is very limited.

Any insight helps, thanks for your time yall.

Kel