Changed Spark Plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Changed the plugs on my 2017 Big Horn yesterday. It really isn't a terrible job, but you need the right tools and a bit of flexibility. I have a decent spark plug socket with the neoprene insert that holds the plug, that is a must have. I also have several 'wobbler' extensions, a short one, a couple of medium length, and a 10 inch. These are necessary, you need different lengths in some cases, and using two extensions to get some extra flex in really helpful.

I used NGK Iridium plugs (OEM style). Truck has 95,000 miles. The old ones all looked the same, no signs of any cylinder running rich or lean, or anything like that.

Took me a little more than 3 hours, taking my time. Passenger side is pretty easy, the back two are a little tricky to get at. Take out the airbox, and you have good access. The drivers side is tougher for sure, the back three pairs of plugs are under or behind the brake booster, and harder to reach. Was stretched out over the radiator and holding myself up over the motor with one hand to get to the back two cylinders in particular.

Truck started right up, ran smoothly, no warning lights, I was happy to see that. Will probably never need to do this project again on this truck.

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm about to do the same thing on my Ram. Do you have a part # on those plugs that way I can get the same ones. Mine is an '18 with 76k on it.

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm about to do the same thing on my Ram. Do you have a part # on those plugs that way I can get the same ones. Mine is an '18 with 76k on it.
Let me look up my spark plug socket when I get home, it's got the swivel built in, well worth the price of admission

CanuckRam1313

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Check out Rock Auto for their NGK Ruthenium HX spark plugs. Excellent plugs!

Perhaps when doing your plugs do a re-torque of the intake manifold bolts as these always seem to back off and can cause issues with either CEL or running.

Check your PCV valve and either clean it or replace it altogether.

Would also be a great time to remove your throttle body and give it a thorough cleaning as well.

CanuckRam1313

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Replace it after how many miles?
Regardless of mileage, I'd remove it and give it an inspection and a good cleaning and then reinstall it.

Good times to check it is when doing a tune up as that kind of mileage usage on the PCV valve can prompt it getting gummed up and make it either less efficient or inoperable altogether if it gets stuck. Or every couple of years if your mileage is lower.

Last edited:

CanuckRam1313

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I've yet to replace one,but i pop them out every oil change and give it a cleaning with Brake Clean
I think it's reconmended to change them at about 60,000 miles,but if you keep them clean they'll go alot farther
Exactly... those things are expensive, too!
Regular cleaning is the way to go for longevity of this part.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
In the old days, 80s & 90s, they were about $3.

What are the current prices these days?

A whole lot more,lol.
Canuck pricing

US pricing

CanuckRam1313

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A whole lot more,lol.
Canuck pricing

US pricing

I'll be cleaning mine forever at those prices.

I just bought one for a friend's Elantra GT at CTC for about $10.

WTF is this $105 crap for a Mopar? It looks like 15 cents worth of plastic, times 700 for a markup.