4th Generation Trims/Options Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

Deejay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 C.I Magnum 5.9
Alright after alot of fooling around and a few visits to different dealers to see different models in person I believe I have decided on a

2014 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab 4x4 5'7" Bed
5.7L Hemi 8 Speed transmission
Standard Uconnect 8.4A
Premium cloth front buckets
Antispin rear differential with 3.95 gear ration
Spray in bedliner, 121 litre fuel tank
Front & Rear park assist & back up camera
Active level air suspension

as well as the following option groups
-Trailer tow mirror & Brake group
-Remote start and security group
-Comfort group
-Convenience group
-Sport premium group

Pretty much I have decided to replace my truck with a 15 year newer fully loaded model.

I Do however still have a few questions about option groups that are not available maybe someone can help me answer my questions.

The packages I am curious about are probably already on the truck but just to make sure since the dealers are now closed I figured id post and ask, these are as following

-Protection Group (Skidplate package)
-Luxury Group (Leather wrapped steering wheel, accessory lights and 7" In gauge screen"

Also I was curious if anybody knows about the sports hood on the newer rams, are they functional? Can they be bought after purchasing the truck from the dealer? And will the R/T grille mounted on this hood mount up without issues? I dont see why not but never know.

OP
OP
D

Deejay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 C.I Magnum 5.9
I have found pretty much what I am looking for at a local dealership, in hopes to avoid freight cost I am thinking about trying to work a deal on it.

The few things I did not get and I am curious if they will be able to do or if i am able to do down the line.

- The Gears are 3.21 instead of the 3.92 I was hoping for. (Is this possible to change in the 14 or will the computer not allow it as I have heard?)

- The power heated mirrors are not included (Not a big deal to me, I did not see them as an option in the brochure anyways just the build & price had included them) But can these be added after?

- The Heated seats and steering wheel..... I have come across a thread on here that someone had added these to a 2013 sport model, Can anyone confirm this is possible with the 2014 model?

http://www.ramforum.com/f42/heated_seats_possibly_already_wired_2013_sport-38029/index3.html

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If those are some of your must haves. You need to get the truck with those options on there. Everything you want to add is going to cost you way more later then getting it on the truck now.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
My advice if your going to load it up go ahead and order one. You can basically add everything but it's going to be a huge headache. The 3.21-3.92 you can add but the computer will need to be tuned/recalibrated. The mirrors will be heated and powered already just maybe not the power fold away. ( my express is power and heated ) and the heated seats I'm sure you can add the steering wheel may be difficult. I still suggest to order what you want especially if your going to load it up that much don't settle or you'll regret it. All dealerships tag a destination fee on so there trying to get to to pay for freight on the vehicles that are already on the lot.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Changing the gears, the problem is the cost vs the 0 cost of having it on the truck you get.

OP
OP
D

Deejay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 C.I Magnum 5.9
The truck I can get at the local dealership is about $6000 cheaper then the one I built on the website, it has more options in the long run but is missing these 2 features i would like to ad. If in the end they would cost less then then $6000 I would imagine it would be worth it, especially considering the interest on financing the extra $6000, this way I can do it down the road.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Msrp is 6000 more? Don't use the build tool for the exact number because it's known to be off its more of a guide. I would settle alot for 6 grand. You still have the option to haggle with them even on a truck ordered. If yall can hammer out a price they'll order it if you can't buy the one on the lot. Never hurts to see what they can do for you.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
You can't get the 8-spd with the console shifter FYI.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Are you going to be towing allot and how much weight. The 8 speed with the 3.21 does a real good job.

OP
OP
D

Deejay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 C.I Magnum 5.9
Right now I own a 7000 lb travel trailer and a 3000 lb (empty) car hauler, I am thinking of purchasing a skid steer for work, which in my opinion with a trailer would probably push over the 7950 the 3.21 with the 8 speed is rated to haul. I could always go with a lighter trailer/skid steer set up but why not have a capable truck?

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Then you do need the 3.92 if your hauling that. You should price out a gear swap and see what it is going to cost you. I guess you have had a dealer search for you. Even if you had to pay the dealer to get you a truck from another dealer. You might do better. When I got mine they found the truck I wanted about 350 miles away and it was going to cost me another 750 for them to get it. Then they wouldn't give me as much for my trade as another dealer. So.I got the local truck , but it has nothing that I had to change.

sport654

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The auto shifter in the console is a option in the bighorn and up package not standered, you can get the bench in the larmie package.

in additon, auto shifter is 8 speed console & column shifters are 6

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
If you are planing on buying a skid steer I would say you need more truck. It's probably time to look at 2500's not that a 1500 with 3.92 couldn't pull it it's just a better idea to move up. It seems like you have a lot of towing needs. The 1500s payload is relatively low because of the coils most running around 1500lbs payload put you your family and some gear in the truck your down to 7-800 lbs tounge weight and that can get eaten up really fast with a 7000lb TT or a trailer with a skid steer. Check the towing hauling section there is a lot about people running out of payload especially with TT.