5.7 HEMI Mod - Advise Appreciate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

La Ramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Since I have another tick issue with my Ram 5.7, so I'm planning the next:

Ram 6.4 Intake Manifold
Ram 6.4 MDS lifters and pushrods
Ram 6.4 Cam
6.4 fuel injectors
Ported TB
VVT and MDS solenoids replacement
BBK shorty
Custom True Dual Exhaust w/ Muffler delete
Hemi Fever Tuning
All consumables replacement (Gaskets, belts, spark plugs, etc)

Please let me know if I need to include something else.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No one does 6.4 cam anymore. Just get a proper cam from Moes / Jay / Flyin' Ryan

And why on earth do you want to do MDS lifters ? thats insane . Just do MDS delete and Hellcat lifters.

Buy the 6.4 adapter and run a Hellcat TB

Dan Topp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just beg borrow or steal and do a blower.It took a lot of N/A builds before I was converted. No cam .same quiet/sneaky exhaust sound.Now on to what we will all 78FF09F2-46A7-4A94-80E0-F7BC38FABBAE.jpegeventually need,a snow or alky systems methanol kit.594A1153-82E7-4D62-A04A-BE6B7074EF17.jpeg163292D8-3F1C-4552-B9C4-5C1FDF49E1F5.jpeg.So many wasted parts time and WHP

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd also recommend going long tubes over the BBK shorties. Specifically stainless works if you want true dual.

Agree on the cam recommendation and absolutely delete mds.

You can also do intake, 180 thermostat, v6 efan conversion and clutch fan delete, underdrive pulley, and torque converter.

Depending on miles, may be wise to do maintenance items while you're swapping cams such as water pump, oil pump, timing chain, etc.

OP
OP
La Ramie

La Ramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The reason for going 6.4 cam and MDS is to keep as close to stock as possible since it’s my DD truck.

I’ll be doing oil pump change, transmission and diffs maintenance but the water pump was already changed less than 2 years ago.

I might do a Procharger down the road once I finish the initial off-road build on this truck.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Makes no sense to change the cam lifters and keep mds it saves no gas at all only causes bs its a failed design. In fact removing mds makes the value of your truck go up people always asked about mds when I sold my last 2 trucks.

Last edited:

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would do long tubes, and as mentioned below if you dont want a y pipe configuration do the Stainless works "power connect", it is an x pipe configuration. If you are dead set on shorties do not do BBK, do AFE or Kooks or worst case JBA.

message me for a quote on anything. We would be glad to help

OP
OP
La Ramie

La Ramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went with BBK shories because I want to keep the stock cats and it's the only one with 1-3/4" primaries.
I would have went with SRT headers if they'd have fit.

This is my 2nd MDS lifters replacement after more 310k miles. My first one was around 70k miles.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went with BBK shories because I want to keep the stock cats and it's the only one with 1-3/4" primaries.

This is my 2nd MDS lifters replacement after more 310k miles. My first one was around 70k miles.

If your keeping the stock y pipe in place the primary size isnt going to matter all that much. The stock Y pipe is a major restriction. If I went shorties I would rather stick with a quality header over gaining an 1/8th" in primaries feeding a ypipe. There has been a bunch of instances where welds crack on the BBKs. If it wont be daily driven it should be ok for a while then.

Since you are going with Hemi fever, if you havent already I would talk to your tuner about your set up. A quality customer tuner knows what works and what isnt really worth the money. They may be able to steer you in the right direction for your wants and needs within your budget.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
The reason for going 6.4 cam and MDS is to keep as close to stock as possible since it’s my DD truck.

I’ll be doing oil pump change, transmission and diffs maintenance but the water pump was already changed less than 2 years ago.

I might do a Procharger down the road once I finish the initial off-road build on this truck.
I daily drive a supercharged 5.7 hemi. Your logic is odd, but your $$ your time.

Anything can be daily driven,, even a super car

OP
OP
La Ramie

La Ramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If your keeping the stock y pipe in place the primary size isnt going to matter all that much. The stock Y pipe is a major restriction. If I went shorties I would rather stick with a quality header over gaining an 1/8th" in primaries feeding a ypipe. There has been a bunch of instances where welds crack on the BBKs. If it wont be daily driven it should be ok for a while then.

Since you are going with Hemi fever, if you havent already I would talk to your tuner about your set up. A quality customer tuner knows what works and what isnt really worth the money. They may be able to steer you in the right direction for your wants and needs within your budget.
The exhaust past the shorties will be changed as well. Magnaflow Hi-flow cats, x-pipe and 2.5" dual pipes.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

The exhaust past the shorties will be changed as well. Magnaflow Hi-flow cats, x-pipe and 2.5" dual pipes.

Oh sorry, I got confused since you mention you want to keep the stock cats...so why not go long tubes?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Went with shorties for a better low to mid-RPM torque, which is more useful for me as a daily driver
You got that back asswards,shorties don't create torque.That's an old wifes tail,long tubes are what you want ,if you want bottom end torque.The shorter the primary pipe,the more focused the horsepower and torque will be in the upper rpm range,the longer the primary pipe,torque is more focused down low.Same principle as your variable length runner intake manifold.The longer intake runners are activated off idle to roughly 4,000 rpm,then the intake manifold switches over to the shorter runners.A little research on google would of clued you in the differances between shorties and long tubes.

Dan Topp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was given the same advice about wasting time and money on a HCI mod and didn’t listen so I wound up canning the vararam changing the cam injectors tune(3rd time on dyno)and fuel pump.I think the experience was fun only because I have more money then brains,and not a lot of time left to spend it.There is a part I forgot about the clutches or in our case the hp70 or 90s torque rating and everything that my 6600 lb slug destroys 32A9D810-EFD5-4B30-A716-E404D9106215.jpeg9490B7B0-24F6-415A-834B-A423C71ED47E.jpeg55356344-F4B0-412C-BF41-25C0FC6736A3.jpeg258F293F-1988-47B4-B783-1B1FA85C0B0C.jpegafter that.

Dan Topp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I requested long tubes and a true dual exhaust,partly for performance since a cat delete will kill off anything living in the garage and to get rid of the manifolds and their bolt breaking issues.Now that will be a cool project considering what passes for dual exhaust on the rams.Not expecting akrapovic to have this in stock.2587B3E6-1792-4003-993F-E6A7714371C2.jpeg53C5C47E-2727-44B8-A491-023B4936FA0B.jpeg

OP
OP
La Ramie

La Ramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You got that back asswards,shorties don't create torque.That's an old wifes tail,long tubes are what you want ,if you want bottom end torque.The shorter the primary pipe,the more focused the horsepower and torque will be in the upper rpm range,the longer the primary pipe,torque is more focused down low.Same principle as your variable length runner intake manifold.The longer intake runners are activated off idle to roughly 4,000 rpm,then the intake manifold switches over to the shorter runners.A little research on google would of clued you in the differances between shorties and long tubes.

One of us got it backward.
Longer primary will have less back pressure than shorter primary piping, thus less low end torque.

There also several YouTube videos talking about the same thing.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Rick is correct & you are wrong.......not everything on the net is correct.....shorties make more top end power compared to stock manifold.....longtubes make more torque/power than shorties throughout the powerband.....dyno test proves.....
smaller primary tubes or stepped tri-y move torque/power down in lower RPM.
The different merge points for the two types of headers result in performance variations because the merge point directly affects back pressure in the intake-exhaust system. Back pressure from exhaust gases reduces the ability of the engine to take in fresh oxygen, which limits engine horsepower and torque. Consequently, the farther out the merge point of the pipes, the lower the back pressure, the greater the oxygen intake and the greater the resultant horsepower, which gives significant power advantage to the long tube style.

Now it you keep the stock cats & exhaust.......sure go with the shorties.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
One of us got it backward.
Longer primary will have less back pressure than shorter primary piping, thus less low end torque.

There also several YouTube videos talking about the same thing.
Read Johnnies link closely,this part will make you see the light.Also you might want to track down Matt Fikac on either High Performance Rams or Tuned Rams on facebook,and ask him about his tests regarding shorties versus long tubes on a truck
It's pretty commom knowledge that long tubes out perform short tubes from idle on up on the late model trucks that utilize VVT and variable intake runners

"As the numbers show, there was quite a lot of power to separate the various header configurations, with as much as a 39hp spread in peak-to-peak horsepower, between the shorty header and the best performing long-tube, the 2.00-inch. The shorty header certainly did not provide the same exhaust tuning and scavenging effect of any of the long-tube headers, with a significant loss in torque and power throughout the curve."