5.7 with 6.4 cam and intake makes no bottom end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi with 6.4 cam and manifold
I have a 2012 ram 5.7 with 120k miles
I installed an SRT 6.4 cam kit with MDS delete from AMS Racing. Lifters, timing kit, etc. I also purchased a used 6.4 truck intake manifold with 6.4 injectors. I installed Texas Speed and Performance long tube 2" primary headers and cats. I had a tuner set it up after the instal was complete. Now theres no bottom end. Won't break the tires loose. The tuner says its because the torque curve has moved up the RPM range. I was under the impression this set up would yeild some higher torque values and really wake the truck up but now I don't know what to do. I had more power before the performance parts.
Providing the tune is correct because the tuner succesfully works on some high end / high horsepower cars.
Is there any sensors or anything I should look into to fix the bottom end?
What would cause this? I do have a bad ABS sensor that was bad before the fix.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have a 2012 ram 5.7 with 120k miles
I installed an SRT 6.4 cam kit with MDS delete from AMS Racing. Lifters, timing kit, etc. I also purchased a used 6.4 truck intake manifold with 6.4 injectors. I installed Texas Speed and Performance long tube 2" primary headers and cats. I had a tuner set it up after the instal was complete. Now theres no bottom end. Won't break the tires loose. The tuner says its because the torque curve has moved up the RPM range. I was under the impression this set up would yeild some higher torque values and really wake the truck up but now I don't know what to do. I had more power before the performance parts.
Providing the tune is correct because the tuner succesfully works on some high end / high horsepower cars.
Is there any sensors or anything I should look into to fix the bottom end?
What would cause this? I do have a bad ABS sensor that was bad before the fix.
Sure it'll make more torque,but it's way higher in the rpm band. About all you can do is stick a high stall convertor behind the engine,so it'll flash to a higher rpm to help get the truck moving,other better option would be to swap an 8 speed into it,as the stump pulling 4.71:1 first gear of the 8 speed will help,but even the 8 speed would benefit from a higher stall convertor with that cam.
You do realize the non-mds 6.4 cam is a pretty aggressive cam and is designed for a 10.9:1 compression 392/6.4 with a manual transmission behind it,it's not designed for a 10.5:1 compression 345/5.7 with a poorly geared 6 speed automatic behind it.
You're giving up 47 cubes and almost a 1/2 point of compression ,not sure how you figured that cam would be a good truck cam,as you can't offset those factors with-out a whole of rpm,consequently bottem end torque is going to go bye/bye on you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hemi81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi with 6.4 cam and manifold
Wild one. I didn’t realize that. Guess I really stepped on my d***. I’ll look into the 8 speed but damn I really thought this cam was a good one for this.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Wild one. I didn’t realize that. Guess I really stepped on my d***. I’ll look into the 8 speed but damn I really thought this cam was a good one for this.
Nope,you got sucked in,lol

mrp2112

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi with a 6.4 cam

mrp2112

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi with a 6.4 cam
i got my cam from summit racing i thought i read all info and it said stock cam for a 6.4 will work in a stock set up on a 5.7 i used my stock valve spring the motor runs great but for some reason i get these codes p2127,2167,2166,2116,2115 and cant clear the stock cam #is 05037379BC from summit

HarryS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i got my cam from summit racing i thought i read all info and it said stock cam for a 6.4 will work in a stock set up on a 5.7 i used my stock valve spring the motor runs great but for some reason i get these codes p2127,2167,2166,2116,2115 and cant clear the stock cam #is 05037379BC from summit
Those codes have nothing to do with a cam. They are all throttle position/pedal position problems

ezmoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If I get the 6.4 intake from Moe's and put it on my 5.7 will I lose bottom end power like op did, or is it the cam that is causing his problems?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
If I get the 6.4 intake from Moe's and put it on my 5.7 will I lose bottom end power like op did, or is it the cam that is causing his problems?
It's the cam,the 6.4 intake will make more torque down low,in comparision to the 5.7 intake,as it has longer intake runners,but the 5.7 intake will make more hp above 6,000 rpm,as it's short runners are shorter then the 6.4 intakes short runners.In a truck you want torque not horsepower,and that's where the 6.4 intake shines.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KW_RAM