5" to 8.4" radio and bezel upgrade questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MxChris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5" with XM to 8.4" radio and bezel upgrade questions. This is a 2020 5th gen Tradesman.

I ordered a salvaged 8.4" complete bezel and brains module. Screen/bezel arrived today but I didn't get the brain they instead sent me a CD player, I will work on that tomorrow and get a refund or the correct module. Is it important to get the brain module that went with this screen or is it ok to source one from another salvage yard?
I just need to know what all will work and what won't, I don't mind moving parts from the new bezel to the old one. I'd rather not have errors or flashing lights like the park assist, I'm going to take that section apart and remove the tow assist control portion and chrome levers off and swap things around.

+The bezel has more A/C controls than I have currently, will these extra features (windshield defog, rear defrost) work?

+Same question on the heated steering wheel and seats section this bezel adds? What is involved with making those work?

+When asking for the brain module what part number do I want to ask for?
I'd like the navigation if it will work with the screen/bezel I have in hand.
Which part number for NAV, which for without?

+Do I need additional wiring harnesses to get things working?

Thanks!

20240509_212411.jpg20240509_211849.jpg20240509_211933.jpg

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
First, the new bezel air controls is for dual zone which you don't have. I am not sure with 5th gen but you would need to add a wiring harness at least. Contact m²mods in vendor section about a harness and if it will even work. If you try to move your controls to that new bezel, you're going to have gaps where those knockouts are next to the turn knobs. Won't look very good. I am not sure if interior part of the bezel can be taken off and switched around but it looks like maybe you can pop out the interior bezel that goes around your three knobs and then you could just switch your control unit to the new bezel.

In terms of what you call the brains, I think what you're referring to is the actual 8.4 radio. If you want a navigation unit you're going to have to add in the cable and put a new receiving antenna on the roof of your truck for that to work. It's called a uaq. I highly recommend you go with a uas which is a non-navigation unit but it has Android, auto and carplay. Then you can connect your phone into the system and have your maps and all the capabilities right on the screen of your radio. You could look into getting an 8.4 unit from an auto recycler, you could look on websites like car-parts.com. I got my 8.4 off of there for my truck. I don't know the model numbers now, somebody else can help you with that.

OP
OP
M

MxChris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First, the new bezel air controls is for dual zone which you don't have. I am not sure with 5th gen but you would need to add a wiring harness at least. Contact m²mods in vendor section about a harness and if it will even work. If you try to move your controls to that new bezel, you're going to have gaps where those knockouts are next to the turn knobs. Won't look very good. I am not sure if interior part of the bezel can be taken off and switched around but it looks like maybe you can pop out the interior bezel that goes around your three knobs and then you could just switch your control unit to the new bezel.

In terms of what you call the brains, I think what you're referring to is the actual 8.4 radio. If you want a navigation unit you're going to have to add in the cable and put a new receiving antenna on the roof of your truck for that to work. It's called a uaq. I highly recommend you go with a uas which is a non-navigation unit but it has Android, auto and carplay. Then you can connect your phone into the system and have your maps and all the capabilities right on the screen of your radio. You could look into getting an 8.4 unit from an auto recycler, you could look on websites like car-parts.com. I got my 8.4 off of there for my truck. I don't know the model numbers now, somebody else can help you with that.
Gotcha, am I better off returning this for the UAS w/o dual zone?

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Gotcha, am I better off returning this for the UAS w/o dual zone?
My personal opinion is yes. Maps in a head unit need updating every year at a cost whereas using a mapping tool on a phone gets almost instant, free updates. My unit requires me to plug a cord into it to my phone but it isn't any problem as the cord plugs into my armrest so hidden, and it tops my phone battery off. There are wireless adapters and I think some of the newest head units might have wireless built in but I am not 100% sure if that is accurate.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
5" with XM to 8.4" radio and bezel upgrade questions. This is a 2020 5th gen Tradesman.

I ordered a salvaged 8.4" complete bezel and brains module. Screen/bezel arrived today but I didn't get the brain they instead sent me a CD player, I will work on that tomorrow and get a refund or the correct module. Is it important to get the brain module that went with this screen or is it ok to source one from another salvage yard?
I just need to know what all will work and what won't, I don't mind moving parts from the new bezel to the old one. I'd rather not have errors or flashing lights like the park assist, I'm going to take that section apart and remove the tow assist control portion and chrome levers off and swap things around.

+The bezel has more A/C controls than I have currently, will these extra features (windshield defog, rear defrost) work?

+Same question on the heated steering wheel and seats section this bezel adds? What is involved with making those work?

+When asking for the brain module what part number do I want to ask for?
I'd like the navigation if it will work with the screen/bezel I have in hand.
Which part number for NAV, which for without?

+Do I need additional wiring harnesses to get things working?

Thanks!

View attachment 542699View attachment 542700View attachment 542701
You need to get the correct radio module for that 8.4 screen. You’ll also need a conversion adapter harness and lvds cable and alfaobd to get everything working. I have all of the items you need available (radio module and cables) if you want to send me a PM.
A UAS radio won’t work in your truck.

OP
OP
M

MxChris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You need to get the correct radio module for that 8.4 screen. You’ll also need a conversion adapter harness and lvds cable and alfaobd to get everything working. I have all of the items you need available (radio module and cables) if you want to send me a PM.
A UAS radio won’t work in your truck.
I meant to ask earlier if for simplicity sake should I return the UAS radio I bought and look for a UAQ model instead. I am returning this radio and am on the hunt for a complete UAQ 8.4" version instead.
I will message you