5th gen Fuel tank in 4th gen Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Heathen-19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all,
I am trying to find some information on my dilemma. About 4 weeks ago I started to have a fueling issue where I would start fueling and after a few minutes or less the stations gas pump would click off like I had filled the truck. I maybe got a gallon or two in. After doing research found that it is a common issue. Armed with this information I set out to see what could be done. I came across an article saying it was a known issue and that there is a new style fuel tank that would need to be swapped in. The article had a picture of it but didn’t provide a part number. I found a used tank with only 2k miles on the donor truck for $150 US. Same 26 gallon and the seller was throwing in the charcoal canister and a fuel line. Bought the tank. Tank looks identical to the new style that was referenced in the article to fix the issue. Got it home and noticed that there’s an extra connection inside the tank.
All photos I found show no such connection. My truck is a 19 express Classic. Donor truck is a 22 new style. Any idea what the connection is for and will I be able to use this tank.?

Attachments

• IMG_1650.jpeg
    IMG_1650.jpeg
    170.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1652.jpeg
    IMG_1652.jpeg
    88.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1653.jpeg
    IMG_1653.jpeg
    76.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0626.jpeg
    IMG_0626.jpeg
    110.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0623.jpeg
    IMG_0623.jpeg
    160.8 KB · Views: 12

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
For your existing tank, did you check the vent hose? Common issue is a kink that can prevent proper venting and just replacing that could be a fix, although you haven't had problems until recently so not sure that is the issue. Also, never click the gas pump handle after initial sut off when it is actually filled as doing so can cause spillage into charcoal canister and then a clog. If you do try to top off or get to an even number, perhaps this is your problem.

As far as replacement tank, you could look at part numbers for your truck and 2022 and see if they are the same. Also, parts diagram could tell you what you are missing. Good luck.

OP
OP
Heathen-19

Heathen-19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For your existing tank, did you check the vent hose? Common issue is a kink that can prevent proper venting and just replacing that could be a fix, although you haven't had problems until recently so not sure that is the issue. Also, never click the gas pump handle after initial sut off when it is actually filled as doing so can cause spillage into charcoal canister and then a clog. If you do try to top off or get to an even number, perhaps this is your problem.

As far as replacement tank, you could look at part numbers for your truck and 2022 and see if they are the same. Also, parts diagram could tell you what you are missing. Good luck.
Yes I checked all the hoses for damage or kinks. Went as far as to remove the filter near the filler neck to see if it was clogged and it looked brand new still.

OP
OP
Heathen-19

Heathen-19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I can say that the tank from a 2020 5th gen does not fit. It was exactly the same as my current tank with the exception of the blue vent valve being at 45° instead of 90° and the area just left of the valve in the 1st picture I posted.
The 5th gen tank area is raised and my 4th gen is recessed. I am assuming for the accommodation of the frame.
Live and learn.