5th generation Hemi..Loud revving when downshifting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cliffmcco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have a 2019 ram 1500 lone star/ big horn, Hemi with an 8 speed transmission and 86k miles. About a couple of months ago I noticed that when I coast and the vehicle downshifts into third and second gear, I hear a loud rev. I also notice the rpm’s go from about 1k rpm’s to about 1,500 rpm’s. Two dealerships, a transmission repair shop and a shade tree mechanic later, no one knows what’s wrong. But I’ve come to realize that the change in rpm’s when downshifting is normal because it happens in my wife’s 2015 V6 Durango, and my daughter’s 2017 Hyundai Tucson. It’s the noise that is an issue. Anyone out there have any insight on what the issue could be, or especially what the issue is….because it occurred in your vehicle.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sounds pretty well normal to me, when it downshifts and the rpm’s increase the cylinder deactivation stops also. That will help contribute to the sound change.

Maybe if you post a clip of the issue it will become more apparent.