shop put wrong oil in my truck —

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

992wire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Like everyone else has said. The oil isn't an issue. Just a thought I'm going to throw out there. What octane gas are you running? Have you tried changing to a higher octane or use additives to see if that changes anything?
I’m 100% aware now that the oil is not the issue . Thank you for opening my eyes on this. I always run the low octane gas …I’ll have to try running the high octane to see if it makes a Difference . Thanks !

OP
OP

992wire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK, so my truck I took it to the shop the other day it kept missing and missing and it kept getting worse and worse to the point where it was almost not drivable. I just had to give it to the shop so I took it to the shop and they’ve had it for two days, the first day they told me yes , it’s misfiring cylinder eight and they told me that the plugs that I just had put in the week earlier were fouled on cylinder eight. So to me that pointed to an ignition issue a spark issue they said no they’re gonna check compression so they check compression cylinder 8 and they said compression was good. I don’t thjnk they checked compression on all cylinders .
Now they tell me they’re gonna pull tbe fuel rail and check the injectors . I mentioned that if the plugs on cyl 8 were fouled why don’t they check for a spark issue and his reply was “injectors sometimes don’t shut off and that’s maybe why the plugs were fouled . Smh. And I felt real stupid jsut
Now when I typed that …. lol ….
I mentioned pulling the valve cover and he dismissed it right away and said I’d prolly get new coil packs and maybe an injector and it would be ok …. Still haven’t heard back from him this evening yet….

Any thoughts guys? Hello????

Jim

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
My vote was the same as before, it's the cam. I just don't believe the plug was even fouled, my guess they are full of stink. But, it is a little possible new plugs are bad, so I cant say 100%. But knocking with specific mis fire, they are taking the slow road imo. I cant say it is the wrong way to do it, because most shops take the slow road, but the writing is on the wall. I hope for your sake I am wrong and they are right, but we have seen a few of these here.

OP
OP

992wire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My vote was the same as before, it's the cam. I just don't believe the plug was even fouled, my guess they are full of stink. But, it is a little possible new plugs are bad, so I cant say 100%. But knocking with specific mis fire, they are taking the slow road imo. I cant say it is the wrong way to do it, because most shops take the slow road, but the writing is on the wall. I hope for your sake I am wrong and they are right, but we have seen a few of these here.
That’s the reason for my post. I feel like they’re just moseying on through when I want them to get to the issue. Like when he told me that the spark plugs were fouled then said they were going a compression text that was fine then told me they were checking the fuel rail and I’m like hold on a minute!! What about spark!???

OP
OP

992wire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That’s the reason for my post. I feel like they’re just moseying on through when I want them to get to the issue. Like when he told me that the spark plugs were fouled then said they were going a compression text that was fine then told me they were checking the fuel rail and I’m like hold on a minute!! What about spark!???
I did drive it a few days after getting new plugs… I had no choice…. And I know it kept misfiring and got worse.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So next move if it isn't fixed, ask them what they want to pull the valve cover and check valves and lifter travel. This guy removed valve cover to see it was not lifters, but you can see the process. I don't know how that ends, maybe it was a knock sensor.

OP
OP

992wire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I still don’t have it back!!!
Cam is replaced , as are the lifters on the passenger side . Cylinder 8 one of the push rods was bent almost 90° and the corresponding lobe on the cam was gone .. **** … so that’s all replaced . Then I had to replace the cats, as they almost caught the whole place on fire, glowing red hot. So I’m into this for almost $6k at this point and after replacing the cats on Friday, I was expecting to pick up my truck and now there is a misfire on 8 again and on 5 now. Mechanic said he replaced all the coil packs and the plugs are new. He mentioned an issue with the lifters or push rods needing to fill up with oil before it would run right. Does that sound right? I’m so stressed over this truck!

Jim

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
A gas engine with 140k miles is having mechanical issues. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.
To me it helps make the case about why it is worth spending the extra 10k for a diesel engine. Longer lasting engines, better mileage, better resale value.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I still don’t have it back!!!
Cam is replaced , as are the lifters on the passenger side . Cylinder 8 one of the push rods was bent almost 90° and the corresponding lobe on the cam was gone .. **** … so that’s all replaced . Then I had to replace the cats, as they almost caught the whole place on fire, glowing red hot. So I’m into this for almost $6k at this point and after replacing the cats on Friday, I was expecting to pick up my truck and now there is a misfire on 8 again and on 5 now. Mechanic said he replaced all the coil packs and the plugs are new. He mentioned an issue with the lifters or push rods needing to fill up with oil before it would run right. Does that sound right? I’m so stressed over this truck!

Jim
cam installs often have mis fires after and usually related to push rods not being cupped right, but it seams there are more then one reason why push rods fall out of "cup". And since they usually don't replace valves sometimes old valves can cause a mis fire. Don't pay them til it's fixed right obviously. paying with visa card? I would

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
...except I wouldn't recommend you using the same "mechanic" for that type of repair.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 116044 miles.
Some mechanics are dangerous with tools! ;)