6" lift kit installed - truck wanders

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bendebusk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I recently had a local shop install a 6" Rough Country lift kit on my 2017 Sport 4x4. Although the alignment is clearly within specifications (see photo), the truck seems to wander a bit on the highway. It doesn't pull left or right, it's just a little squirrely. Any recommendations on adjustments to the alignment specs? Any other advice? Thanks!

Alignment report - Ram 1500.jpg

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The caster seems a bit on the low side.

If I remember correctly, stock should be 4.5°.

Your close. 3.5° left and 4.0 right may not be causing you issue, but I've heard of guys with lifts going from 4.5° to as much as 5 or even a little higher.

It would seem that the bigger the tires, the less caster effects stability. If you installed a 6" lift on 33s, those caster settings could be the issue.

Adamcr68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemifever 5.7
I recently had a local shop install a 6" Rough Country lift kit on my 2017 Sport 4x4. Although the alignment is clearly within specifications (see photo), the truck seems to wander a bit on the highway. It doesn't pull left or right, it's just a little squirrely. Any recommendations on adjustments to the alignment specs? Any other advice? Thanks!

View attachment 540802
I can’t help you with the alignment info, but there are a lot of knowledgeable members on this forum that will try to help.
Rough Country lifts have a bad rep. but I have no experience with them & have read several posts with members having no problem with theirs.
Did you upgrade the rear upper & lower control arms & sway bar?
I’m only leveled, do have the 1.5” icons springs for the rear & a 1.5” body lift, another thing not popular on this forum.
Several options to go with for control arms & sway bars & made a big difference on my truck feeling more planted.
If you end up changing your lift you should be able to still use the control arms & sway bar.
Hopefully you can get it dialed in to your satisfaction as I think our trucks look great lifted

Attachments

• IMG_9279.jpeg
    IMG_9279.jpeg
    209.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9284.jpeg
    IMG_9284.jpeg
    186.1 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
bendebusk

bendebusk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thanks, my friend! When I was a young man living in Arizona, Rough Country had a sterling reputation. So I didn't really think twice before purchasing. I've read some complaints on this forum since.

The installer checked everything out on the suspension and said that it only needed ball joints on the front. He told me that everything else was in good shape. So I sprung an extra $100 to replace those.

Everything seemed fine before the lift kit was installed, so I'm assuming something about the alignment. It's not horrible, but it just feels ultra responsive when driving. Makes it kinda squirrely on the highway!

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm not as familiar with the 1500s so could be wrong but your toe seems a little high, which makes sense with it being twitchy.

2500s have almost no toe, but they are a completely different set up.

OP
OP
bendebusk

bendebusk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thanks! I read a lot about the suspension geometries and how they interact and effect drivability. It started to get a little overwhelming, so I thought I'd ask here!

OP
OP
bendebusk

bendebusk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thanks, Ken266! Oops, I failed to mention that I'm running 35s.

When I bought the truck the front tires were rubbing on the wheel liners and it already had a front leveling kit installed. So I went ahead and lifted it and now the steering seems a bit squirrely. It's not horrible, but a little lane wandering on the highway sometimes.