66RFE Rebuild or remanufactured?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ajparry89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Hey all. I am buying a 2018 6.4L with 162k miles, that needs transmission work. I am getting a really good deal on it. I am not totally sure of the extent of the transmission damage yet, I have not driven the vehicle or had it in my sight yet, I am just assuming the worst, and price and budget totally allows for it. From what I am heaing, it drives totally fine, but will eventually throw gear-ratio codes and go into limp. Usually, the driver can clear the codes and then drive it again for a while.

I know these transmission have a few different problems. I will dive into it when I get it, but for now I am assuming a total rebuild/replacement, especially with the miles. With that said, I am wondering if anybody has had any luck with rebuilt transmissions for these? and if so, any particular brand? I havent had too much luck with a lot of rebuilt engines I have changed over the last couple years. I also see the trans from the manufacturer is not too expensive, but a long wait time - in fact, NO eta as of right now, lol. Or, is a rebuild best? given my own schedule (and like I said, the price is right) I would prob just pay to have a reputable shop rebuild it for me. But are there certain things I should request to be upgraded or changed, in order to prevent future failure? I see the external thermostat bypass is a common one. that is something I can do. how about like an upgraded valve body?

Anybody use the larger companies like ATS Diesel, or Nextgen Drivetrain? (nextgendiesel.com). They charge quite a bit, but seem to really make it a point to build something bullet proof.

just wondering what all your guys thoughts are. Thank you!

2500offroadRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I also have a 2018 with the 6.4 / 66RFE transmission. It has failed on me for the third time, and I almost bought a new truck, but after some extensive research, I came to the conclusion to rebuild it, with a knowledgeable shop(which I found) and add every available proven upgraded part that it could need. Cost is half of a new transmission that is likely built with the same problems the first one had. I know that from personal experience.

I will hopefully have it back by July 8, and can report back with how it drives and shifts. I told the shop upfront that I tow 5-7k lb daily, and in city traffic with some highway. He is was confident that was not a problem.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The funny fact is that the huge shops like sun coast admit the rfe is one of the worst designs and there is not much that can make it better. And then they try and upsell an expensive design on a weak platform. If it were me I'd probably go to a skilled local shop that knows what it is doing and knows all of the upgrades and have them rebuild it and warranty it. Maybe just as good as buying a rebuild as well. What I wouldn't do it spend a ton on some fancy rfe that may or may not have longevity. If money comes easy maybe why not, but for me I am budget oriented.

70UTE

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
After fighting mine and rebuilding it the first time at 92k miles, it blew up again at 96k. I opted for a very budget friendly built unit with a few small upgrades from Veterans Powertrain out of Wisconsin. They were incredibly friendly, specialize in RFEs and worked with me on a really tight deadline. If you’re a veteran they off a discount as well which is nice. I’m at 115k now without a problem and have gone from Arizona to Oregon and all the way back down multiple trips loaded and unloaded.