8hp70 to 8hp95 swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have seen a lot of info, here and elsewhere on the net, about swapping up to an 8hp70 from an older style tranny, and even from a 70 to a 90, but I have not seen anything about someone swapping from a 70 to a 95. And yes, I did a search specifically for "8hp70 to 8hp95 swap" and the only things that come up are what I have listed above.

Has anyone done this swap? And if so, the usual questions. Did you do it yourself or have a shop (including dealer) do it? How much did it cost in the end? Why did you decide to do it (was it the heavier duty/capabilities of the 'new' trans)? What headaches if any came up and how did you deal with them?

I am sure there are other questions about this, but I don't even know enough to ask them.

The reason I am asking about this is I am considering, down the road well after the warranty expires, and if I have issues with it then, upgrading Blue to the beefier transmission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
With a good tune the 70 in stock form will live at 600 whp,built it'll take alot more then that. It's all in the transmission tune,a poor transmission tune,will cook any of the 8 speeds in a hurry,including the 90 and 95. Fikac was putting over 1100 hp through a Paramount built 70,that same engine and transmission is now in Rick Spillmans truck and has been running low 9's for a few years now. There's lots of trucks running 10's with the stock 70. With just an aftermarket rebuild kit for them,with the extra clutches,they're pretty robust.My buddy is putting down 800+rwhp through his 70 with just an aftermarket rebuild kit from TCS,with his turbo'd / built 6.4.This probably isn't the place to ask that question,go onto the hi-po Ram pages on facebook,like Tuned Rams / High Performance Rams etc.,you'll find more of the fast trucks there then here.
Glad to see your research has made it into the 20th Century,there for awhile you seemed to be stuck on old Jeep threads,lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wulf

Wulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My question wasn't leading so much to the capabilities of getting a more capable built 70 tranny, so much as trying to get away from using a 70 because of the nightmare of issues I am currently having now with the one that Blue came with. The upgraded power handling would just be a bonus at that point.

Also, I typically don't mess with Facebook. I think the last time I tried viewing a profile on there, it wouldn't let me unless I have an account, and I don't have a facebook account, nor do I intend on getting one.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
My question wasn't leading so much to the capabilities of getting a more capable built 70 tranny, so much as trying to get away from using a 70 because of the nightmare of issues I am currently having now with the one that Blue came with. The upgraded power handling would just be a bonus at that point.

Also, I typically don't mess with Facebook. I think the last time I tried viewing a profile on there, it wouldn't let me unless I have an account, and I don't have a facebook account, nor do I intend on getting one.
Well if you want info on the swap,you're not going to get it here.Your best bet is to get on the hi-po truck pages on facebook.Little tidbit for you,you don't have to reply to every post on facebook,if you don't like the post scroll on by,and you'll get along okay on facebook.
Being on the Jeep forums,probably isn't going to provide you with any info on swapping the 95 into a truck,a jeep isn't a truck.I gave you a couple links on your other post,pick up the phone and call those outfits,for info.
Clue me in,what issues are you having with your 8 speed.Have you done a service on the transmission,and followed these directions to a T,don't try scimping or short changing the instructions,follow them exactly,including the one about leveling the transmission,not the truck.

Attachments

• IMG_3383 (2).JPG
    IMG_3383 (2).JPG
    272.9 KB · Views: 3

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
There's a guy selling an 8HP70 with a 4,000 stall convertor over on High Performance Rams on facebook.Might be your cheapest option to getting your truck back up and running.

aZrLIX-h7qm.pngRising contributor
Sam Tester

I’ve got a Brand New in the box stage 6 hemi 2 step with the plug and play harness. It’s for 2006+ 5.7, 6.1, 6.4. Bought it a while back and ended up going with a Holley dominator. $650 obo shipped.
These other items I would prefer local pickup/meet around NE TN.
I also have a good 8hp70 with Moes performance 4000 stall converter (flex plate, cooler , mounting bracket and some other things) $950 obo
Driveshaft pro 5in aluminum driveshaft from Moes. Its barely used and only missing the rear yoke flange (used it on new shaft) $650 obo
Electronic power steering rack and pinion from a 2015 ram 1500. $750 obo