ABS Issue Update at NHTSA - Recall looks promising

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1zero3forlife

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know most of us are still wondering if FCA will ever replace the modules under a recall. I am on my 3rd unit at 47k miles or they just keep making the stock on last. Now that it is out of warranty 100%, my extended is gone too, it is out again and have been driving again for a year without the features I paid for thanks to this FCA pile of **** wrapped around a Cummins engine.

I miss having cruise control, it is over 2 years I have not had cruise control since the last controller went out.

For the actual reason of posting, The NHTAS has sent another letter for more information to FCA and from what I am reading, it looks like, the NHTSA may be on our side and a recall looks like a possibility finally.

Here is the link to the letter sent to FCA in 2024
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/inv/2022/INIM-PE22012-13415.pdf

This was the first sent in 2022
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/inv/2022/INOA-PE22012-9925.PDF

And the second in 2023 so you all can see the progress
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/inv/2022/INIM-PE22012-89993P.pdf

Here is to hoping this gets a recall.

Last edited:

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I know most of us are still wondering if FCA will ever replace the modules under a recall. I am on my 3rd unit at 47k miles or they just keep making the stock on last. Now that it is out of warranty 100%, my extended is gone too, it is out again and have been driving again for a year without the features I paid for thanks to this FCA pile of **** wrapped around a Cummins engine.

I miss having cruise control, it is over 2 years I have not had cruise control since the last controller went out.

For the actual reason of posting, The NHSTA has sent another letter for more information to FCA and from what I am reading, it looks like, the NHSTA may be on our side and a recall looks like a possibility finally.

Fingers crossed. For the record it's NHTSA.

gnyland

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I just had my module on my '18 replaced in March. Took 5 months for it to come in. It was under warranty.
Also was emphatic on the point that they do not do the recall on the DEF system. They promised they didn't touch it.

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
Thank you for posting the update. I'm in the same situation having not enjoyed my cruise control on two separate 2000+ mile trips now over the past 18 months. I also just about put it in a ditch a month ago trying to get out in to a short opening in traffic, glad there wasn't a cop around as I almost had it sideways before getting it straightened back out, forgot I no longer have traction control. Mine did make it a little over 80k before it started losing it's mind. Fingers crossed here as well.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Thank you for posting the update. I'm in the same situation having not enjoyed my cruise control on two separate 2000+ mile trips now over the past 18 months. I also just about put it in a ditch a month ago trying to get out in to a short opening in traffic, glad there wasn't a cop around as I almost had it sideways before getting it straightened back out, forgot I no longer have traction control. Mine did make it a little over 80k before it started losing it's mind. Fingers crossed here as well.
How did we ever survive driving our trucks before they put ABS, traction control and cruise control in these trucks.
Oh yeah we just paid attention to what we were doing and not looking at our phones. :eek:

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
How did we ever survive driving our trucks before they put ABS, traction control and cruise control in these trucks.
Oh yeah we just paid attention to what we were doing and not looking at our phones. :eek:
I'm over 50 years old. I learned to drive a long time before cell phones were around and sure as hell didn't have cruise control on my first several vehicles or any of them I put a couple hundred thousand miles on for Uncle Sam in my time. Perhaps you don't mind critical components taking a **** on you and putting you sideways at 70mph on wet pavement but didn't much care for it. Don't fall off that high horse but if you do, hopefully you land on those assumptions you couldn't help but needlessly throw out there and they end up back where they came from.

Last edited:

Dombak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Only 15k miles on my 2018 and this has been going on for over a year right when the warranty ran out.

Just purchased the HCU unit ending in “AB” and plan to install it but I’m told that upgraded part might be defective as well.

jimbofl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500
Engine
Well maybe by the time I need number 5 they will get it sorted out. 2 covered by warranty, 2 I am in the hole $2,000 for. Miles mean nothing, I have 21,000 on my 2017. Low miles might make it worse.
I did talk to the dealer last time about the AB part number. I was told that does not necessarily mean a redesign, but might just mean a vendor change. Of course they are the same ones that act as though this is the first time this has ever happened every time I take it in. Must be the corporate line on this failure.

TBFRam2599

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Mine has been out since March no parts available. I’m told they. Are still in the re-engineering stage no idea when they will be available. My dealer says they have 10 trucks on the lot needing this part. Trucks they can’t sell. Thru ramcare or who every they are I’m on a expatiated list for the new part.

murderman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I got tired of waiting on FCA and fixed it myself. For those who are not aware, the problem is that the brushes in the electric motor for the ABS pump are not manufactured correctly and fit too tightly in their guides causing them to lose contact with the armature as they wear.

If the internet knows what the issue and solution is, the only reason I can see that FCA hasn't taken corrective action is $$$.

I've got several thousand miles since repairing it, and not a hint of lingering issue.

Last edited:

leroys73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am like some of you folks above, I have been driving all sorts of vehicles for 60 years. I know how to drive without all of the "safety crap", even without brakes, had to do it more than once.

However, when my ABS went out and my cruise control of course stopped working on my 2018 with 30K miles on it, I was pissed. I didn't mind the ABS but I have become addicted to cruise control. Now with a bad leg long distance without it is a painful procedure. Plus, I paid for it.

I was told it would be 6 months to get one. I called MOPAR and raised H. They found one at another dealer and shipped it. It was replaced within a week.

I hope it is a recall before I need another one.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I'm over 50 years old. I learned to drive a long time before cell phones were around and sure as hell didn't have cruise control on my first several vehicles or any of them I put a couple hundred thousand miles on for Uncle Sam in my time. Perhaps you don't mind critical components taking a **** on you and putting you sideways at 70mph on wet pavement but didn't much care for it. Don't fall off that high horse but if you do, hopefully you land on those assumptions you couldn't help but needlessly throw out there and they end up back where they came from.
The only thing that put you sideways was too much throttle from you. :driver:

RedRam55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Yeah, mine was the motor not the module. It would work for a while, then quit. Eventually it never fixed itself anymore. The motor apparently had dead spots and when it landed on a dead spot it set off the light and canceled the added attractions.

EastWestHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 w/4.10s
Is there an ABS issue with 2016’s with gas motor? I’m unfamiliar

murderman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Yeah, mine was the motor not the module. It would work for a while, then quit. Eventually it never fixed itself anymore. The motor apparently had dead spots and when it landed on a dead spot it set off the light and canceled the added attractions.
The brushes in the electric motor for the ABS pump are not manufactured correctly and fit too tightly in their guides so the very light springs behind the brushes can't keep them in contact with the armature as the brushes experience normal wear. Mine were not just a slightly tight fit, I could barely force the brushes out of the guides using a screwdriver.

Some folks like me disassemble the motor and file the brushes down so they can float freely like they are supposed to, while others source a salvage electric motor from other applications and replace the entire motor.

It's a surprisingly simple mechanical failure/fix for an otherwise sophisticated system.

Wulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

For the actual reason of posting, The NHTAS has sent another letter for more information to FCA and from what I am reading, it looks like, the NHTSA may be on our side and a recall looks like a possibility finally.

Not this situation, but I dealt with one on my Chevy that by all rights *SHOULD* have been a recall item, but at best was just worthy of a "service bulletin", translation, "hey, this could happen". There were issues with the transmission on select range of manufacture date GM trucks with either (or both) the bell housing or the flex plate. Guess when my Silverado was made? Smack dab in the middle of the range of time. Mine ended up being the flex plate, and all around the mounting bolts it cracked. The only reason the truck was still driveable (at the time, had no money and no alternate transportation) until I could get it fixed was it wasn't a clean break.

Manufactures will usually only issue a recall on their own if they know they could get slapped with hefty fines if they don't get out in front of it. On the other side, if the NHTSA forces them, they might get around to it eventually.

Wulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The only thing that put you sideways was too much throttle from you. :driver:
You're right. I mean why should people expect to get vehicles they paid for to work properly? That's just silly talk right there.

(hands out a mop in case people need to clean up the sarcasm that got all over the floor from this comment)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davenator