ABS Sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rustypipes12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
'09 TRX4 just replaced rear calipers, rotors, and pads all around. ABS, traction control, and 4wd servo warning lights had all started flashing. After the brake job lights went out for about 100 miles, then returned. My scanner showed "right front sensor" so I changed that and cleared the code. So far no lights. I guess I'll find out today when I take 125 trip to my cabin. I've never changed a wheel sensor before and I'm wondering if they are supposed to have grease on them? the hole wasn't packed with grease just some and the sensor looked pretty bad. Should I have filled the hole with grease before installing the new sensor? I took half a dozen cotton swabs and cleaned out the hole before installing the new sensor. Now I'm wondering if I should have done that,

Attachments

• IMG20240621142343RAM front wheel ABS sensor.jpg
    IMG20240621142343RAM front wheel ABS sensor.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 6

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The ABS sensor goes right into the front wheel bearing hubs, there's no issue with grease being on the sensor. There's people that will pump grease in through the sensor hole to add to the front wheel bearings.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
An ABS sensor uses the collapse of magnetic field as the teeth on the reluctor ring pass by, it does not need grease on the sensor or in the hole to function.
Only reason to pump grease into the hole would be for the wheel bearing inside the hub.