AC isnt really working but cant find any issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ryan J

Ryan J

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Laramie limited
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yes i replaced the dessicant sack bag tube thats mounted to the condenser when i replaced the compressor, not mounted to the evap core that somebody mentioned. Its PITA, think i would rather replace the whole condenser if it came with one installed allready. Im pretty sure these trucks use PAG. Not sure how relateable to POE they are. I use POE alot on refrigeration systems for walmarts. Im almost positive that all the blend doors work. You can feel the air flow change with the desired selection. The temp blend door changes with a change of temp setting. Assuming its working inside the box. I did the filter kit a few years ago. Right after i got a new evap core. The only door im curious about is the recirculation door. I watched it, as soon as i turn the key on, with the ac completely off or on, the door moves toward the fire wall. I can push the recirc button and the door doesnt move. Turn the key off and the door moves back away from the firewall. I get the same temp and airflow out of all vents. I think all the doors are good, just questionable about the recirc door. The dessicant bag could be the issue, i just had a hell of a time replacing it last time. I may have to look into that humidity sensor also. I wasnt aware of it or how it affects the operation.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yes i replaced the dessicant sack bag tube thats mounted to the condenser when i replaced the compressor, not mounted to the evap core that somebody mentioned. Its PITA, think i would rather replace the whole condenser if it came with one installed allready. Im pretty sure these trucks use PAG. Not sure how relateable to POE they are. I use POE alot on refrigeration systems for walmarts. Im almost positive that all the blend doors work. You can feel the air flow change with the desired selection. The temp blend door changes with a change of temp setting. Assuming its working inside the box. I did the filter kit a few years ago. Right after i got a new evap core. The only door im curious about is the recirculation door. I watched it, as soon as i turn the key on, with the ac completely off or on, the door moves toward the fire wall. I can push the recirc button and the door doesnt move. Turn the key off and the door moves back away from the firewall. I get the same temp and airflow out of all vents. I think all the doors are good, just questionable about the recirc door. The dessicant bag could be the issue, i just had a hell of a time replacing it last time. I may have to look into that humidity sensor also. I wasnt aware of it or how it affects the operation.
If you do replace the humidity sensor,buy an OEM one,the aftermarket / cheap versions don't play well with the truck

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ryan...have you always owned this truck? And did it did it work fine before?

If you're an AC tech...sounds like you did all the refrigeration-side I'm guessing. Verified pressures...the clutch is cycling like it should. The refrigerant expansion valve is working fine, no suspected blockage??

The remaining variables here that I can think of is are the blend doors REALLY closing fully to allow all the 'cool air' to blow through w/o mixing in any warm air?? I know you say they are, but worth tripple-checking those. There's always a chance (though somewhat rare) that a blend door is broken from the shaft (essentially not fully closing off), or some foam door seal has come off. Not likely being a 2017 but just throwing out some ideas.. Blend door breakage (from the shaft) was fairly common on older Jeep Grand Cherokees, I have one like that.
Same. My wife had a grand Cherokee where the blend door broke. It sucked. It happened while driving from Iowa to Texas years ago to see my grandparents...one side of the jeep was unbelievably hot and the other side froze you out!!! Not fun for 1000 miles...haha.