Advice for Rebel Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ElConejo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys I have a 2016 Ram Rebel with the air suspension that the wife and I used to overland with. We have noticed that the air suspension isn't really designed to hold up to everything that we are asking it to do (Both weight and function). My company has offered me the option for a pretty nice company truck which alleviates the need to worry about gas milage on the Rebel. As such I am now planning the full build.

Lift - Since the air suspension is already a bit suspect (Struggles to lift the truck up with just the rack and tent on it and makes a interesting hum noise) I was thinking of buying this 6" lift kit. I'd be very interested in folk's feedback and if there is a better option please feel free to provide suggestions. I am a little concerned since a lot of these later upgrades will add some weight and I'm already pretty close to the weight restrictions of stock suspension, this kit offers a towing rear springs which should help.

I am also curious if I will need to upgrade to a dual steering stabilizers to help assist with 37s

Wheels and Tires - Kit says that it needs 20" tires if you are going to run the 6" kit and 37s. I figure I can run a nice set of Methods with either KO2 or KO3s. I have no idea how to calculate wheel width and backspacing, so if anyone wouldn't mind pointing me in the right direction that would be amazing.

Front Bumper - Found these folks that make a Rebel specific steel bumper with a stinger. Throw a Warn 10k behind it.

Rear Bumper - Need to either fab a rear bumper or find one that I like with a rear tire carrier, since having a spare in the back country is a good idea.

Sliders - These guys make nicer sliders than I can make.

Skid Pans -
Do these trucks need skid pans past the engine? There is a kit that seems to plate it front to back but its heavy.

Curious if there are other things that I may be missing or advice folks can provide as I start this build.

Mekcanix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am very interested in how this turns out. I have a 16 Rebel as well, the air was already pulled out of it by the dealer when I bought in 2020. We camp with ours all over the place on just a level, but I have been considering lifting it further.