Aftermarket tow mirrors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bnorman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Hello all, I'm new here so if this has been ask before,I apologize. I put tow mirrors on my 2020 bighorn 1500. They have turn signals,and puddle lights. My original did not the wires plug right into the module but the turn signals and puddle light doesn't work. Do I need a code installed or ? Thanks in advance for the help

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The lights probably need to be enabled in the door module. You'll need AlfaOBD along w/security gateway bypass to do it yourself. Depending on the dealership it will probably cost you the same to have them enable the lights (if they're willing) as it will to buy AlfaOBD set up.

OP
OP
B

bnorman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Thanks I didn't think it was going to be easy.lol

OP
OP
B

bnorman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Just a second thought. What scan tool would I need and where would I get one? Thanks again

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
The first post in this thread should get you going in the right direction

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks I didn't think it was going to be easy.lol

I wouldn't call it difficult provided you follow a few sensible guidelines like saving the truck's current configuration setup before any changes, using caution with any tweaks, and always maintaining a current note or a log file of all changes and the results.

Also, I choose to learn from the mistakes of others. Don't ever tweak things you don't understand; when learning, it's best to follow proven tweaks that were used and documented by others before you start experimenting.

Several users of AlfaOBD choose to make one change at a time to gauge the results, waiting for several ignition cycles before the next tweak. Certain adjustments don't change until several ignition cycles have been completed.

Sometimes you get unexpected results from tweaking what appears as a simple lighting configuration change. I tweaked a cargo light setting with another adjustment (I can't recall what but it's in my log file) and killed the electronic power steering (EPS), setting a CEL and a powertrain fault warning.

Fortunately, I figured that out before leaving my laneway and promptly removed those last 2 tweaks. :cool:

As suggested, scanning the AlfaOBD thread is your best starting point but here's a peek ahead if you haven't already found them. There may be additional tweaks required.

AlfaOBD Doors mirror turn signals.jpg

AlfaOBD Doors puddle lamp.jpg

I use AlfaOBD for Windows on a laptop with a hardline USB interface adapter as opposed to many others that use AlfaOBD for Android with a phone or tablet and a Bluetooth interface adapter.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
What scan tool would I need and where would I get one?
The developers of AlfaOBD recommends using the OBDLink MX+ (or MX)
It read a lot more codes than a type scanner and is capable of vehicle configuration changes along with diagnostics.
You can probably find it cheaper on Amazon or another online retailer.