Anybody know how to remove security bypass cable (used with OBDlinkEX / Alpha OBD)?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Rebel
Engine
5.7L Hemi
When I upgraded to 35" tires and wanted to change my tire size on my 2020 Ram, it appeared I could not just do it with something that plugs right in the OBD2 port like I've done on my 3rd and 4th gen Rams, and per some folks instruction on this site I purchased Alpha OBD, a OBD2 USB connector (OBDlinkEX) and a security bypass wire (I believe the Kaodtech) to connect the OBDlinkEX to my OBD2 port. I did that 2.5 years ago, and it worked perfectly to change my tire size. That's all I used it for. I tried to remove the security bypass cable back then, but it wouldn't come out of the cable board, so I just tucked it in and left it there (which was useful, since I have used Alpha OBD a few times to read codes). Anyways, my truck has been having pretty catastrophic electronics meltdown lately (see my post here https://www.ramforum.com/threads/ca...m-crash-what-to-do.209907/page-2#post-2919282), and it seems to point to can bus and/or BCM problems.

A guy at an auto parts store told me today that he thinks leaving that security bypass cable in could have caused this. No clue if he's right, he's just an auto parts store kid, but I try to take every tip into account. Anybody think that's possible? That security bypass cable has been in my truck now for 2.5 years and no problems until now.

In any event, I'd like to remove it just to trouble shoot / rule that out. Anybody know how to easily remove these? Pic of what I need to remove is below. Thanks!

1718218297567.jpeg

Last edited:

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Very doubtful it's the cable. Mines been in for years. Very easy to remove tho, just push in the retaining clip with a small pick and it comes right out.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
^^^^^^
What he said re removal. Mine has been in almost 2 years, no issues. I cannot see how the cable could cause a problem if you have nothing hooked up to it, but I guess you just never know. Take it out, let us know the outcome please.

This might help.